Would everyone agree that NYC subway stations are not up to par on cleanliness?

duelingdragons

3) There are simply not enough trash receptacles at some stations. The first three stations in Queens on the (A) (80th St, 88th St and Rockaway Blvd) have only two cans per platform, located near the rear end of the train in the Rockaway-bound direction. People standing at the end the first car would stop throw there garbage onto the raised structure behind the staircase. Also a lot of people will throw trash onto the tracks, knowing they eventually fall through the gaps and onto the street below, thus littering the street and making it impossible to walk under/cross the street below the elevated tracks.

IIRC, the uptown local platform at 34 Street on the (1)(2) and (3) has only ONE garbage can, but 2 right next to each other on the express platform!

Tetanus is only needed if you cut yourself with dirty metal, not dookie.

well....

If I get someone else's shit (which I hope to god never happens) on my skin, best believe I'm running to get some kind of shot... I'm not going to sit here & argue what tetanus is "needed" for...

It is all very true that NYC subway stations are not as clean as elsewhere (I was in Boston twice over the last two weekends and found the stations extremely clean). It is also true, as the OP said, that there are far more stations and riders in New York and maintenance is bound to be more difficult. However, I wonder about a few things about the NYC subway's cleanliness.

1) Very often, one station is fairly clean while another one two or three stops away (or less) is crumbling and filthy. Howard Beach on the (A) is always kept spotless, while Broad Channel has the grimiest walls and benches I have seen anywhere. Along the Fulton St line, Utica Avenue and Broadway Junction are fairly clean (despite their high volume of ridership), while the other (A) line stops (e.g. Hoyt-Schermerhorn, Nostrand Avenue, Euclid Avenue and Grant Avenue) are extremely unclean (I have often found dry vomit on the floor and next to the benches at Hoyt). I do not understand how one station can be kept clean while adjacent ones are filthy. Surely, the unclean station's staff is not doing their part to keep things ship-shape.

It's not right to make Howard Beach or Times Sq the subject of special attention so as to project a good image to tourists while locals face daily commutes to/from dirty stations.

2) The other day I got off at West 4th St and was walking towards the south exit when I saw a mountain of trash (at least 2.5-3 feet high) coming out of the mouth of a garbage can. Newspaper pages that tore off this trash heap was lying around everywhere. That can had probably not been emptied in quite a while. While it is possible that they are emptied every day on a particular schedule and that there was an unusually high amount of trash deposited that day, it is disconcerting that trash overflows were left as they were without any action from the station staff.

3) There are simply not enough trash receptacles at some stations. The first three stations in Queens on the (A) (80th St, 88th St and Rockaway Blvd) have only two cans per platform, located near the rear end of the train in the Rockaway-bound direction. People standing at the end the first car would stop throw there garbage onto the raised structure behind the staircase. Also a lot of people will throw trash onto the tracks, knowing they eventually fall through the gaps and onto the street below, thus littering the street and making it impossible to walk under/cross the street below the elevated tracks.

4) There needs to be more of the small metal bins that are used to deposit used MetroCards for recycling (usually located next to the card value reader). There are too few at any major station and there are not enough passenger advisories asking people to use them; indeed, many don't know they exist (an user here posted a thread a few weeks back describing his surprise at finding they exist).

5) There is not enough strict enforcement of rules prohibiting littering; I see police officers and station agents say nothing while people openly litter the station mezzanine/platform with used MetroCards and other rubbish. I don't know if they are afraid of a lawsuit (weird since they are simply enforcing a law if they prohibit littering).

1) don't forget Yankee Stadium on the D... that station is damn near pristine.... But you look @ the other stations along the concourse... total neglect.... Totally agree with you here.

2) yeh, that's one of the things I hate about getting off at west 4th st... the platform of the 8th av lines is often more riddled with newspapers, broken glass, the whole nine... and the platform of the 6th av lines aint exactly what I'd call clean either... overflowing trash cans are a problem @ that station...

3) yep.... one garbage can for a 350+ foot subway platform is inexcusable.... and flat out cheap & lazy.... I don't care how lowly used a station might be....

4) My thing is, they need to be more conspicuous... more visible... more out in the open.... You have to scour around to find those metrocard receptacles....

If you see one that's empty, more often than not, the card will drop right onto the floor... b/c there's a slit/hole @ the bottom of those things.... and two (which is more common), people stick other things inside there - so when people attempt to put metrocards in there, it's either no room to put a metrocard, or, a bunch of metrocards are just sticking upwards (ppl. having to force it inside the top slot)... it gets to a point where they're all over the floor.... and I don't think I ever seen anyone empty those things when metrocards are overflowing off the top of the bin like that....

5) hah... they don't enforce it because they do it themselves....

They really should also have a bin for papers only given how many papers are stuffed in those trash bins and left on the floor.

funny you mention that...

The ONLY station I've seen anything remotely close to that, are at Grand Central... and they're not even on the NYC subway platforms - they're on the MNRR platforms....

I think given the majority of amNY and Metro papers on the floor, they should be sued by the MTA for contributing to the trash. But it couldn't hurt for the MTA to at least have newspaper bins at their major stops especially in Manhattan.

I mean if they are trying to 'go green' why have that apply to only clean air buses?

I think given the majority of amNY and Metro papers on the floor, they should be sued by the MTA for contributing to the trash. But it couldn't hurt for the MTA to at least have newspaper bins at their major stops especially in Manhattan.

I mean if they are trying to 'go green' why have that apply to only clean air buses?

That's actually a good idea... someone go propose this. It would help their image out.

It's not like people are actually going to follow the signs and throw things in the correct containers. You'd have station cleaners sorting through the garbage to pull out non-recycling items that were thrown in. In the subway, you're lucky if stuff makes it to ANY trash can let alone the correct recycling bin. Perhaps a few more trash cans at stations which have large areas of the platform w/o a trash can in sight may help somewhat.

GCT you have commuters reading the papers which they can throw in those large bins as they exit the platform, it's a little different.

As a lot of people have previously stated, it's the people, not the MTA that is responsible for dirty stations. The MTA makes efforts to clean the tracks and the stations, but riders make no effort to place their garbage where it belongs.

You can't make people un-disgusting.

People in the subway with their trash, same goes with buses. I'm going to talk about the subways' cleanliness.

I'm going to put the blame on the passengers as of why the train cars are generally dirty. I mean, like everyone has said before station cleaners are there to clean up the trains, however there are certain situations where they won't be able to clean up the train, like for example, because the train has to leave the terminal station quickly after just arriving there.

My question to the riders when they litter in the subway: Do you throw your garbage under your couch, or under your kitchen table in your household? Do you treat your workplace or school rooms like garbage dumps?

I'm sick and tired of passengers complaining about filthy conditions and whining about station cleaners not doing their job. They are doing their job. Give them a break, will ya! Sometimes they are unable to because the train is leaving too soon.

In other words, clean up after yourself!

Totally agreed, this is where cameras on the trains would be a good enforcer. The camera finds the person that littered in the train, then they can get the NYPD to track the person down and send that person the bill for $1000. And if the person can't pay it off, then they have to do community service till the fine is paid off.

In other subway systems, the employees will not let anyone into the system with food or beverages:cool:.

Yea, try going that here in NYC. People would be stabbing station agents left and right, also there are all the news stands.

I believe that the MTA could spend billions of dollars on a new clean-up incentive, but it really wont do any good. It comes down to the commuters, point blank period. For example, look at Japan. Their subway/rail system is almost as extensive as ours, but it's much more clean, only due to the fact that eating/drinking on the train is frowned upon. Through that alone keeps their system clean.

The problem with new york (amongst other big financial cities) is that we're all so busy with work and rushing to do everything, that there's no time to sit down and properly devote time to eating, so we choose instead to make up the missed opportunity by doing so on the train.

One thing that has me tripped out is feces. Out of all the years i've been riding the train, i've never seen a turd in any subway car. Used diapers? Yes.

Two things needs to be done:

-Instill a culture of clean habbits [hard to do in such a melting pot like this city with people from many backgrounds]

-Kick out all homeless people and prevent them from entering the system.

Definitely. It's culture thing. If more people treated littering as repulsive and disgusting, I think fewer people would think it's okay. This also needs to be implemented in all city schools, and other public areas.

what i find funny is the tracks are only really messy in the stations, once you walk about a hundred feet out the station the tracks are clean because people cant throw their garbage there. also i have noticed in the deeper tunnels there are no rats because their is no garbage to feed them. i watch track cleaners and the vac train clean tracks on a regular basis but soon as they leave the PUBLIC throws their garbage right back on the tracks. same thing with platform cleaners they go from station to station on their tour sweeping, mopping and changing garbage bags and people see this but still throw their garbage on the floor. MTA is fighting a losing battle with the public. as for the stations, rehab is planned but its a slow process when the public does not want service delays or station closure. only so much can be done on nights and weekends. just my 2cents

It would be so nice if the MTA can at least close down the entire system for at least 2 hours a day every day. It would at least keep the homeless out since they probably can't pay to get back into the system and would have to go to a sheleter instead of 'stinking' up the car. Also it would give workers time to inspect the tracks and stations to be cleaned up.

Archived