Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

This is unbelieveable

NYtransit

2 days ago while i was railfanning at the 34 street herald square staton,i was talking some videos of the R46 and R160 trains.and guess what happends,a lady looks at me litterally for 4-5 minutes,then she goes up the stairs.so im like finally shes gone.AND GUESS WHAT HAPPENDS!! she comes down with 3 COPS! and hey looked so prepared with there flashlights and what not in there hand,and then i look and the lady points at me.so im like "oh wtf did the lady do now".they came toward me asking why im taking pictures.and i told him that im just like the subways and im photography and out of no where cop#1 asks me if i have license! and then im like license for what? and then cop #1 says i need a license to take subway pictures.And i told him tahts not true.and he says yes.and i ask him "ok then were do i get the license?" and then cop #1 says "at the mta headquarters" and im like "that area if for mta persanol only.and cop #2 says "no you can go there and ask for liscense" and im like but taking the pictures of NYC subway is perfectly legal.and through out all of this conversation the lady is still standing there! so the cop says "hell no taking damn pictures in the subway is illegal." and then im like "ok then you want me to show you proff?" and then i take put the mta rules AND the NYC police document stating its legal.then Cop #2&3 say "where the hell did you get this?" and i said "i got it from mta website and where you report police brutality."all 3 of them stood confused,then they "this s** aint true". and i tell them "well the law says its legall". and cop #1&2 say you still need a licsense.and i say where in these documents does it say i need a liscense? so he read this part:

Photography, filming or video recording in any facility or conveyance is permitted except that ancillary equipment such as lights, reflectors or tripods may not be used. Members of the press holding valid identification issued by the New York City Police Department are hereby authorized to use necessary ancillary equipment. All photographic activity must be conducted in accordance with the provisions of this Par

and then he tells me "see right there" and i wanted just to say "are you dumb?" but in stead i say "its only if you use extra quipment,and i told him to re-read it" and then they didnt know what to do and the tell me "delete your photos then" and i say "you have no rights to tell some one to delete there photos" and they say "yes we do" so then i show him the police dcument where it says cops have no rights to delete or destroy photos,and again they were confused.and then they tell me ok,look just home and take pictures of other things ok? and im like "ok".once they leave,i took out my camera and took more pics,and the lady WAS STILL STANDING THERE! and i look at her and say "photorapghy is perefectly legal dumba**". i wish i said dumba** but i only said that its legal.and the (D) train comes in and she leaves and im like.OMG its finally over!:eek:

The above post is why I steer clear of subway photography in midtown manhattan. Too many people and police at every station in midtown, no thanks. Besides, a lot of the queens stations don't get any love, kind of like a fat chick. At 10 or 11 at night the queens stations they are deserted, perfect for station photography.

Sorry you had this encounter with the cops. You made the right measure showing them the paper from the TA site. They don't have to believe it, but it's the truth. Next time, get their badge numbers and file for harassment if necessary. Some cops may not know the rules, makes you wonder why are they cops, huh?

Sorry you had to go thru this. Cops knows its legal, its just that they wanna pretend it doesn't exist because of post 9/11 Issues. Ill admit they do have the right to stop you but they should already know the rules by now.. I really hope some day files a lawsuit against the NYPD for not doing what they are suppose to do. And even the t/a since they have people there who talk bs and know the rules, but pretend there isnt any rules or the MTA didnt send the message out properly!

Heres a word.. If you see cops around, i suggest not to take pictures around em.. And if you see someone (like the lady) staring at you but head somewhere.. Just go.. To ease trouble.. Its best to ride the first car so when you get to the station for pics you would be able to see in the window if any cops are around. Even tho they could be hidden, but still seems safer to look.

You should of told them to call up there supervisor, captain or what ever.. So they can verify it of course..

I remember a cop at West Farms Sq(WPR Line) 2 months ago who stopped me, she said she knows it was legal but doesn't sound "cute" taking pics. She told me that all of the cops had to/is being retrained regarding photograpy after that T/A worker who got arrested at Freeman St for taking pics.. So since cops have gotten retrained, my guess is just that cops are doing something in the downlow to still keep photograpy banned.. They just need a law suit thats all..

Anyways... Wish you luck next time! Hopefully you wont get stop.. Keep taking pictures no matter what.. Just follow the rules! Leave 9/11 the past..

Besides, a lot of the queens stations don't get any love, kind of like a fat chick.

Hee-larry-ous :cry::cry::cry:, except my father would beg to differ..........

Now, back to the subject. I am so glad someone finally stood up to the cops, when they are doing something perfectly legal. It is funny how those trained to read and enforce things, can't read a simple document such as what you showed them. It said it was legal, as long as certain things weren't used, and you didn't need a permit, as you were not using those things. Halloween is over, but sir, you did sure leave eggs on their face. But one thing. Next time call someone else who does that a dumba$$. Don't hold back............

Truly, I don't suggest stop doing what you are doing, cause they feel they have an upper hand, and will continue harassing those taking legal pictures. They are suppose to enforce the law, and protect public property, that is their job. They can't make up laws, or interpret them as they want. That is the job and powers of the Legislative Branch of local, state, and federal gov't. Not police departments.........

Why didn't you show them the rules to begin with rather than being defensive and arguing with them?

This is why I find it hard to believe that the police were that tolerant with him....

---------------------

So as a result of this encounter, pretty much nothing happened... I must say, you're one of the lucky ones....

.....and as for the snitch that ratted you out, especially you not leaving that platform in handcuffs, yeah, I would have called that lady everything in the book... "dumbass" would have been the mildest of the things I'd have said.....

just for the hell of it, I would've taken a picture of HER & upped it on here, informing all your fellow hobbyists here to watch out for this uptite, loose lipped....

man, let me stop there....

The cops doing their job should have been assessing the situation, and not just telling him that is was illegal. The fact he had to pull out rules, they should already know, showed they weren't doing their job. If they knew the rules (like they should since they were transit police most likely), as they approached him, if they didn't see a tripod, or any other ancillary equpiment, they should have told the lady that what he was doing is legal, and they can't ask him to stop. What he was doing wasn't suspicious. As a T/O I see people taking pics of my train, as I enter the station everyday. They have their flash on too. And I will say it, no one would rat them out as they are always Caucasian, older, and out in a group. It seems everyone gets suspicious when it is a child, or young adult of any race or ethnicity, or an adult of a non Caucasian background.

I think they forgot who the shoe-bomber was, and who those behind the Oklahoma City bombing were.........

To sum things up: I have no problems with cops questioning me and nothing more than that, but I do have a problem about 'paranoid' people. They should mind their own business. Thankfully I have not had any encounters with paranoid people. Plus I rarely stay at the same spot for more than 2-3 trains or 10min.

It's like 'omg, person taking pictures'... its nothing to panic about.

I have to agree a bit with you on race/etnic.. I notice that many "Caucasian" dont get stopped as much as compared to Hispanics, African American and Asians..

Even more odd is how t/os and most crews treat the race as well. If a Caucasian were to take a picture of a train entering with a DSLR then the worker would talk to em saying hows the picture and what ever unlike other groups.. If the motorman was african american it would be the oppsite of Caucasian, rather African America, and/or Hispanic/Asians.. If you know what i mean..

I think this city has a bit of racism/anti-entnic group going on..

I(Hispanic) was rail fanning a Caucasian friend Yesterday at 36th St on the QBL when he takes a pic of the R46 (F), motorman is Asian and he says that the pics are nice.. I took the same train with the him and the t/o, got off at Jackson Hts and took a pic, and i never got anything.(Even tho idc lol) Ive never had that proper/friendly discussion with a worker, accept 2(African American) a few yrs ago and 1 Caucasian(Never had that) Engineer on the New Haven Line.. And of course an Hispanic under cover cop on the (1) (Marble Hill) this yr, who knows is legal and gave me nice suggestions to rail fan..

No not trying to talk racist at all, Just showing examples. Sorry if anyone thinks it is, which is not..

The cops doing their job should have been assessing the situation, and not just telling him that is was illegal. The fact he had to pull out rules, they should already know, showed they weren't doing their job. If they knew the rules (like they should since they were transit police most likely), as they approached him, if they didn't see a tripod, or any other ancillary equpiment, they should have told the lady that what he was doing is legal, and they can't ask him to stop. What he was doing wasn't suspicious. As a T/O I see people taking pics of my train, as I enter the station everyday. They have their flash on too. And I will say it, no one would rat them out as they are always Caucasian, older, and out in a group. It seems everyone gets suspicious when it is a child, or young adult of any race or ethnicity, or an adult of a non Caucasian background.

I think they forgot who the shoe-bomber was, and who those behind the Oklahoma City bombing were.........

I have to agree a bit with you on race/etnic.. I notice that many "Caucasian" dont get stopped as much as compared to Hispanics, African American and Asians..

Even more odd is how t/os and most crews treat the race as well. If a Caucasian were to take a picture of a train entering with a DSLR then the worker would talk to em saying hows the picture and what ever unlike other groups.. If the motorman was african american it would be the oppsite of Caucasian, rather African America, and/or Hispanic/Asians.. If you know what i mean..

I think this city has a bit of racism/anti-entnic group going on..

I(Hispanic) was rail fanning a Caucasian friend Yesterday at 36th St on the QBL when he takes a pic of the R46 (F), motorman is Asian and he says that the pics are nice.. I took the same train with the him and the t/o, got off at Jackson Hts and took a pic, and i never got anything.(Even tho idc lol) Ive never had that proper/friendly discussion with a worker, accept 2(African American) a few yrs ago and 1 Caucasian(Never had that) Engineer on the New Haven Line.. And of course an Hispanic under cover cop on the (1) (Marble Hill) this yr, who knows is legal and gave me nice suggestions to rail fan..

No not trying to talk racist at all, Just showing examples. Sorry if anyone thinks it is, which is not..

No one can think it's racist. As one gets older we all open up our eyes and really start noticing our surroundings, and what goes on around us. That's life..........

One time I was taking pics along the Brighton line and a c/r [where I was standing was right at the middle of the platform] complimented me and told me of a possible convention going on for photography [something like that, details are a bit fuzzy now]. That was probably the best encounter i've ever had.

No, it has to do with government buffoons who think photography aids terrorism.
You know Joe the sad thing about this is that the cops don`t realize that photography actually can solve crimes in the subway.Like there were incidents that mad news about men flashing their genitalia and women actually using their camera phones which eventually led to an arrest or two.They really need to evaluate themselves.

Archived