Emergency Brakes question on the NTTs

mark1447

I have a question. Is it true if the doors of an NTT (R142 and later, not sure about R130/131) is forced open(When closed) by hand while train is in motion/not the EM breaks get released? Of course that can't happen on anything lower then an R68/A, it just opens the door halfway..

No not planning nor will i ever do this, I'm just wondering if this is true..

And are there other ways the EM brakes get triggered besides pulling EM Break cord, triggering the tripper near a signal or release throttle while in motion(Non NTT) if im correct..

I have a question. Is it true if the doors of an NTT (R142 and later, not sure about R130/131) is forced open(When closed) by hand while train is in motion/not the EM breaks get released? Of course that can't happen on anything lower then an R68/A, it just opens the door halfway..

No not planning nor will i ever do this, I'm just wondering if this is true..

And are there other ways the EM brakes get triggered besides pulling EM Break cord, triggering the tripper near a signal or release throttle while in motion(Non NTT) if im correct..

IIRC If the train operator of any train loses indication (door not fully closed and locked) the emergency brakes will NOT apply. The T/O is supposed to make a smooth and gradual stop as soon as he loses indication, and then investigate. The reason for this if a door is open, you do not want the train making a rough emergency stop that can cause someone to fall off balance and possibly out the door (if you've ever been in a train that goes into emergency on a curve, you might have an idea what this feels like). The system cannot tell apart a door that is completely open vs. slightly open so this is for general safety since it can't be assumed the door is only open a crack.

The doors on the NTTs close and lock just like aon all the other trains. When the doors on say an R160 close and make that big clak sound, that them locking on place. Once they lock, you can't force them open at all. On the older SMEE cars like the R32 and R46, each door leaf has about and inch and a half where you can open it. With both panels, thats almost 3 inches. Some of the R46s that just got SMSed won't close if there is anyting blocking them. So on NTTs, you can't open the door once is closes and even if you did it would not dump the train.

Look at it this way. The emergency braking is tied to the brake pipe (air), and the doors have no connection to the air at all.

They could possibly make an electrical (computer) connection to the air valve which would automatically activate the emergency brakes, but for now it depends on us reacting to the loss of indication, and the TOD would also indicate a door error, if the doors could somehow be forced open.

Archived