Time running out on city pedi-pests

CPBO

By KEVIN FASICK, MURRAY WEISS and TOM NAMAKO

With just four days left to get legit or get off the road, only 321 of the estimated 1,000 renegade rickshaws on the streets have obtained a mandatory city license as of today.

After Friday, the Department of Consumer Affairs will close its doors to anyone hoping to register a pedicab -- and strict NYPD enforcement will begin.

Some cops spent the weekend handing out pamphlets to pedicab drivers warning them of the impending crackdown amid the new rules, which go into effect Saturday.

Any of the pedalers caught plying the asphalt without showing a proper license plate will immediately be pulled over and could have their pedicab confiscated, an NYPD spokesman said.

So far, only 184 of those licenses, which cost $18 a pop, have been handed out.

Some pedal-pushers who have obtained legitimate licenses say there will likely be a surge this week in registration, which costs $110.

But they said many owners of rickety rickshaws won't bother getting the legal paperwork because their pedicabs wouldn't pass the city's new rigorous inspection process and insurance checks.

"Many of these bicycles are very dangerous," said Ramazan Sahin, 35, who registered a single pedicab to his personal business last week.

"This process will make some less dangerous. But many are of a cheap quality. Some of these guys don't know anything. They just want to make money and aren't safe."

One Consumer Affairs official warned that there could be a wait of up to 18 months until the city again allows for the registration of new pedicabs.

He added that many of the "players were being weeded out" because they won't be able to meet the city's safety standards.

Each cab will go through a 16-point inspection process, including a check of emergency brakes, seat belts and turn signals.

Also, the cabs must have a posted rate card and a calibrated meter, in case the business calculates trips by mileage.

One man who legally registered his vehicle last week said many of the current pedicabbies don't even have a basic New York state driver's license -- which could lead to flouting basic traffic rules.

"I know a lot of guys, and they're not very good drivers. They're not safe at all," said Bakary Koita, 34, of Harlem.

"These new rules will make the industry safer."

kevin.fasick@nypost.com

:tup::tup: bout time!!!!

All i see is a cabbie angry at a person who takes fares from his polluting enterprise. I got hit by a cab that was running a red light. I have no sympathy, especially for someone who assaults someone on a bike who is in a car.

As for useless & tourist trap, it's obvious none of you have ever been on one. In fact, how many of you on here know how to ride a bike? Seems a bit biased.

Also, don't think there aren't people out there who think trains & busses & subways etc are "useless & a tourist trap".

Open your mind a little, you might be surprised.

- A

In a city with a hugely dense transit system they should be banning automobiles, not emissions free & quite fun pedicabs.

- A

I agree that the pedicabs are emissions-free and good for the environment, but I think there are more efficient ways to reduce pollution in the city. If everyone who took a pedicab rode a bus or train, that's still cars off the street. With the pedicab, you're adding congestion to the streets, which in turn increases the time in which cars and buses sit idly, burning fuel and releasing pollutants into the city's air. This is made worse by pedicabbies who aren't safe and wind carelessly through traffic.

Well, at least the numbers that are licensed will be answerable to the law, and not be some fly by night incident waiting to happen. Really though, take a ride in one of these from the 5th ave apple store to byrant park via 5th ave around sunset. You will thank me. :tup:

- A

I agree that the pedicabs are emissions-free and good for the environment, but I think there are more efficient ways to reduce pollution in the city. If everyone who took a pedicab rode a bus or train, that's still cars off the street. With the pedicab, you're adding congestion to the streets, which in turn increases the time in which cars and buses sit idly, burning fuel and releasing pollutants into the city's air. This is made worse by pedicabbies who aren't safe and wind carelessly through traffic.

Rokusix....very good post!!! I agree 110%.....very very good

Well, at least the numbers that are licensed will be answerable to the law, and not be some fly by night incident waiting to happen. Really though, take a ride in one of these from the 5th ave apple store to byrant park via 5th ave around sunset. You will thank me. :tup:

Anyway....I am sure you know how I feel about this....we have had this topic before.....I am just glad this will get some renegade Rickshaw's off the road......bet you anytime I am driving in Manhattan (MCI).......the first thing I will ask a cop is how is it going taking some of them off the street?? :P

- A

Exactly.

Thats why we have these things called HYBRIDS :P

prius-taxi-two.jpg

Buy 4,000 of 'em :)

Not everyone wants to be confined in a car. Pedicabs are for sight seeing, auto-taxis are for getting from A to B. There is a place for them in NYC as long as they are properly regulated.

Hybrid (escape, prius etc) taxis are purely to improve air quality & use less gas vs 12 mpg crown vic smog machines.

- A

Not everyone wants to be confined in a car. Pedicabs are for sight seeing, auto-taxis are for getting from A to B. There is a place for them in NYC as long as they are properly regulated.

Hybrid (escape, prius etc) taxis are purely to improve air quality & use less gas vs 12 mpg crown vic smog machines.

- A

So solve the traffic problem involving those pedicabs :P

Archived