Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Ultimate Factories: R-160

Y2Julio

I already Saw it, Its sad how they use Carbon steel to built these things, but hey That's how they want to built them.

I saw it too. Those trains aren't going to last 30 years!

And @ 5278: watch and you'll find out!

I saw it too. Those trains aren't going to last 30 years!

And @ 5278: watch and you'll find out!

Why wouldnt the 160s last?

Oh rusting with Carbon?

according to wiki it says stainless steal, so its wrong?

Why wouldnt the 160s last?

Oh rusting with Carbon?

according to wiki it says stainless steal, so its wrong?

The train is not completely made of stainless steel.

I watched some of this and man was it epic!!! But why Alstom? These were the same guys who were under fire for bad spot welds on the R160 in the intial stages of manufacturing of the cars.None the less,good stuff.I never seen inside of the lapa facility.but the Hornell I did,even when it was Morrison-Knudsen.They should do one on Kawasaki.

I watched some of this and man was it epic!!! But why Alstom? These were the same guys who were under fire for bad spot welds on the R160 in the intial stages of manufacturing of the cars.None the less,good stuff.I never seen inside of the lapa facility.but the Hornell I did,even when it was Morrison-Knudsen.They should do one on Kawasaki.

Was Hornell really the precious site of MK?

Was Hornell really the precious site of MK?

Correct and I think it had been a pant used by the Otis Elevator Company. It looks as if they did alot of work on the facility though for the R160 construction. The test track look brand new.

Correct and I think it had been a pant used by the Otis Elevator Company. It looks as if they did alot of work on the facility though for the R160 construction. The test track look brand new.

Thanks for the deets. And I think I typed "precious"! I meant previous.

Actually Otis elevator never used the Hornell site.They established in Yonkers where Kawasaki is today.Otis closed in yonkers back in the 70s and Kawasaki came into the U.S and set up shop as URC (United rail corp) then Officially Kawasaki rail car in the same facility where Otis use to be.The Hornell shop which is now Alstom,always did rail work for which It has been used before as a heavy Repair facility for locomotives and rolling stock.Hornell takes pride in their rich rail history.I never been ther but Ive seen pics on flickr.It`s a nice quiet little town.

Funny you say that because the R38-R44 all have carbon steel in them (and probably even your precious R32s) and look how long they lasted.
True.And carbon steel maybe more of a feasible choice giving the rising cost of steel.Besides carbon steel is also good for weight reduction giving the trains less work to do with their motors.

Funny you say that because the R38-R44 all have carbon steel in them (and probably even your precious R32s) and look how long they lasted.

You again? And to make it clear, I am not an R32 lover.

I saw the show last week. Very cool to see how those trains are made. I have to say they look very nice, but I doubt they will still be here with out major modifications in 20 or 30 years. I for one am glad to see the older SMEE cars go, I just wish that the R143s and R160s did not all look the same and that the R160 order was not so large so there would be more varity even if it was several different classes of NTTs.

You again? And to make it clear, I am not an R32 lover.

Please remain calm and let's not have another flame war again like that subchat thread.

As for the R143/160s it would be nice if they had something other than just the black fronts. I think it would've been nice if it was somewhat color coded like red for the R160A and blue for the R160B.

Archived