EE's Burlington Route/Burlington Northern Thread

EE Broadway Local

My favorite railroad. Through Borders Marketplace, I was able to purchase a used but very nice condition softcover copy of Mr. Patrick C. Dorin's 1976 book "Everywhere West Burlington Route"

Through text and photos, the story of the Chicago, Burlington And Quincy (or the Q) and the first years of the Burlington Northern are told in 176 pages. A handsome Burlington Route map (11,000 miles in Fourteen States) is on pages 170-171 and a Station Index is on pages 168-169.

The photography (in black and white) covers all aspects of the Q: steam and diesel locomotives, freight and mixed, coal and passenger trains, commuter trains and the Zephyrs.

On March 2, 1970, Burlington Northern was created when the Q, Great Northern and Northern Pacific were joined. Since the book was published, BN has joined with the Atchinson, Topeka and Santa Fe to create BNSF.

Some of the Zephyrs were:

*Ak-Sar-Ben Zephyr

*American Royal Zephyr

*California Zephyr

*Denver Zephyr

*Kansas City Zephyr

*Nebraska Zephyr and the

*Morning and Afternoon Twin Zephyrs.

In addition, the Empire Builder, Mainstreeter, North Coast Limited and Western Star operated over the Burlington Route.

In addition to these, the Q operated Gas-Electric Motor cars or "doodlebugs" from 1923 to the 1960's.

My favorite railroad. Through Borders Marketplace, I was able to purchase a used but very nice condition softcover copy of Mr. Patrick C. Dorin's 1976 book "Everywhere West Burlington Route"

Through text and photos, the story of the Chicago, Burlington And Quincy (or the Q) and the first years of the Burlington Northern are told in 176 pages. A handsome Burlington Route map (11,000 miles in Fourteen States) is on pages 170-171 and a Station Index is on pages 168-169.

The photography (in black and white) covers all aspects of the Q: steam and diesel locomotives, freight and mixed, coal and passenger trains, commuter trains and the Zephyrs.

On March 2, 1970, Burlington Northern was created when the Q, Great Northern and Northern Pacific were joined. Since the book was published, BN has joined with the Atchinson, Topeka and Santa Fe to create BNSF.

Some of the Zephyrs were:

*Ak-Sar-Ben Zephyr

*American Royal Zephyr

*California Zephyr

*Denver Zephyr

*Kansas City Zephyr

*Nebraska Zephyr and the

*Morning and Afternoon Twin Zephyrs.

In addition, the Empire Builder, Mainstreeter, North Coast Limited and Western Star operated over the Burlington Route.

In addition to these, the Q operated Gas-Electric Motor cars or "doodlebugs" from 1923 to the 1960's.

BNSF owns the great northern main line?

- A

Has owned it since March 2, 1970 and today is known as the Northern Transcon. This is the most northerly route within the continental U.S.

During the Burlington Route days, the Q had two subsidiaries: The Colorado And Southern And Fort Worth And Denver. The Spokane, Portland and Seattle was a subsidiary of both the Great Northern and Northern Pacific.

Today, only Union Pacific is larger than BNSF.

Pages 118-119 show Condensed Schedules Of Through Freight Service from March 1, 1962. The Q called their cabooses way cars.

Metsfan: I know the CB & Q operated on Milwaukee Road trackage out of Chicago and St. Paul (especially when flooding occurred on the Mississippi River) and I think BN and BNSF did and do (now former Milwaukee Road). I'm not sure about former Rock Island trackage.

A treat for trainspotting is the Q/BN/BNSF triple track speedway between Chicago and Aurora.

One change since the 1970 merger has been BNSF closing Cicero Yard while expanding Galesburg Yard. The former Cicero Yard has been converted into a giant intermodel facility.

On the Commuter Side, METRA operates the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway (BNSF) Line between Chicago and Aurora with daily service. One way fare is $5.65 and a $5 Weekend Pass allows unlimited rides on Saturdays and Sundays.

They should name a freight train "the rocket" and so on, enough of these code names... :cool:

- A

That was the name of passenger trains on the Rock Island, they were merged into UP and some went to Iowa Interstate.

The Q went every where RI did but better.

Actually, The Burlington Route had #77, the "Galloping Ghost". This was a time freight that ran from Chicago to Kansas City. The "Galloping Ghost" took between 18 and 20 hours, then when the Q opened the Kansas City shortcut, they were able to cut six hours to a new time of 13 hours 20 minutes.

Archived