How do you define terrorism?

MattTrain

With all the posts I've read, there's been talk about terrorism. Honestly there has been several arguements regarding "terrorism" I am just curious as of you forum members define terrorism. Is it the use of fear and or violence to have others change their ways in a political perspective?

So what is terrorism and how can you define a terrorist? I do apoligize if this sounds like a strange question. This term has been subject to controversy over the years.

Terrorists are people that like to use fear to intimidate people. As transit fans we look weird to people because we take pictures and record videos of our city's trains and buses. With our transit system being so large and all it's a place terrorists would LOVE making a mess of things around here, hence the accused "backpack bombers" that were busted a few months ago in August!

With all the posts I've read, there's been talk about terrorism. Honestly there has been several arguements regarding "terrorism" I am just curious as of you forum members define terrorism. Is it the use of fear and or violence to have others change their ways in a political perspective?

So what is terrorism and how can you define a terrorist? I do apoligize if this sounds like a strange question. This term has been subject to controversy over the years.

Matt...I seriously have to give you credit for taking on this topic.

I think Andy pretty much nailed the answer I could give.

To my opinon:

Terrorism is a person who is sketching private buildings or transit system.

Also dressing in lots of clothes like wearing jacket in summer.

I heard NY Sightseeing Tour bus had terrorist scare because someone was dressed in lots of clothes wearing jacket in hot summer.

Someone who uses violence or intimidation to propogate their point of view (ie Hitler, Bin Laden, Stalin, Brian Weinberg).

Someone who uses violence or intimidation to propogate their point of view (ie Hitler, Bin Laden, Stalin, Brian Weinberg).

Dude seriously grow the hell up...why must you have to mention Brian W's name. Leave SubChat business on SubChat. We all know he's an a-hole, you need to move on!

Dude seriously grow the hell up...why must you have to mention Brian W's name. Leave SubChat business on SubChat. We all know he's an a-hole, you need to move on!

Agreed! It's the same over at RD, he always has to bring up subchat. If he misses the place so much he should just post there again or confront Whineberg via e-mail.

Agreed! It's the same over at RD, he always has to bring up subchat. If he misses the place so much he should just post there again or confront Whineberg via e-mail.

I get tired of hearing it too.. Lets bring in Express Buses. :P !!!!!!!! NOT!! lol jk

kk. Lets bring it back on topic

I define terrorism as a HATE to something or someone! Attacking someone, breaking something. Just like those terrorist of 9/11!!

Terrorism= HATE

Just my words of course!

You guys have brought up some valid points. I would like to tell you what I have thought of as terrorism.

Terrorism is the use of violence and or fear to cause inbalance, therefore requiring some sort of change within civilizations.

Terrorism doesn't always have to involve violence and or the destuction of objects. It doesn't always involve taking another person's life. Most people today are accostomed to terrorists destroying property and harming others as the basis of terrorism. Not always the case. There are scare tactics in which they have their audience change their ways, usually with threats.

Terrorism has been around for years, the reason people in the United States weren't so concerned about it before the 1990s is because most incidents have occured overseas.

But remember, terrorism has it's many forms and violence doesn't always have to be one form. They can do it several ways with propaganda, threats, rally outcries, publicity stunts, and convincing people that their form of government just stinks.

I just wanted to bring up some forms of terrorism are non-violent.

For me I define Terrorism as:

Person or group of people who target landmarks, public transportation, stations, malls, political buildings or crowded areas with a plan and with force. The person or group of people must show suspicious activity.

The violence part is what you are labeling.

Would Sam Melville be classified as a terrorist now?

In 1969, eight bombings in the city:

*Grace Pier July 27th

*Marine Midland Building (19 injuries) August 20th

*The Federal Office Building on Federal Plaza September 19th

*The Army Induction Center on Whitehall October 7th

*The Standard Oil Offices in The RCA Building November 11th

*Chase Manhattan Bank Headquarters November 11th

*General Motors Building November 11th

*New York City Criminal Courts Building on Centre Street November 12th

He was arrested as he placed dynamite charges in National Guard trucks parked outside the 69th Regimental Armory at Lex and E. 26th St. on November 12th

Would Sam Melville be classified as a terrorist now?

In 1969, eight bombings in the city:

*Grace Pier July 27th

*Marine Midland Building (19 injuries) August 20th

*The Federal Office Building on Federal Plaza September 19th

*The Army Induction Center on Whitehall October 7th

*The Standard Oil Offices in The RCA Building November 11th

*Chase Manhattan Bank Headquarters November 11th

*General Motors Building November 11th

*New York City Criminal Courts Building on Centre Street November 12th

He was arrested as he placed dynamite charges in National Guard trucks parked outside the 69th Regimental Armory at Lex and E. 26th St. on November 12th

He did damage a lot of property, but he wasn't doing it for political change, it was due to personal reasons he didn't like his company. It wasn't considered a terrorist attack and under the guidelines of how terrorism is defined (there's currently no definition that is agreed upon) he's not classified as a terrorist.

Archived