Coney Island Yard (Behind Closed Doors)

Brighton Local

A little sneak peak of the 'behind the scenes' of Coney Island Yard.

*However, Due to Heightened Security Measures, there are some Questions that may be asked, in which I can probably give a round about answer, but not in full detail. Thank you for your cooperation.*

DSCN8399.jpg

DSCN8401.jpg

DSCN8407.jpg

DSCN8409.jpg

DSCN8410.jpg

DSCN8411.jpg

DSCN8417.jpg

DSCN8425.jpg

DSCN8429.jpg

DSCN8436.jpg

DSCN8438.jpg

DSCN8443.jpg

DSCN8449.jpg

DSCN8450.jpg

DSCN8455.jpg

DSCN8463.jpg

Your Senior Moderator

Zach

Oh no! How many are there?

To my knowledge, there are 4 sets of 10 cars. retired R40 Slants. So 40 Cars total are "retired"

What is that train in the third photo? What does it do?

Track Geometry Car. It has sensors built in, so It can track any defaults along the road on the tracks its traveling on.

Gravesend? How ironic if they put them there.

You know what I mean? You know right next to the Manhattan Bound (N) local track at the 86th St Station, there are the 2 layup tracks, thats where I have a feeling they might be. I passed there earlier today on the (N), I saw R40 Slants

laid up there, but I cannot confirm that these are the retirees, were looking for :D

wow lucky you got see what the inside of ci yard looks like great pics my fav is the one with the truckless R160 next to the R68a and the R46 train to the plane and when i took the N train home the other day i notice the two r40 stlants laid up and the front rollsigns were not in service but the sides were signed up as a B train.

It looks like the R-40 are coming to it's end. What about R-32's that were there? Were they being overhauled or being stripped?

A bit irreverent but did the (JFK) train operate with anything else beside R-46's? At all?

Those are (C) Train R-32s from Pitkin Yard; They're in Coney for special repair.

I believe mainly R-46's were used. Somebody else who has a better memory than me can probably answer this one correctly.

wow lucky you got see what the inside of ci yard looks like great pics my fav is the one with the truckless R160 next to the R68a and the R46 train to the plane and when i took the (N) train home the other day i notice the two r40 stlants laid up and the front rollsigns were not in service but the sides were signed up as a (:D train.

Thanks. yup, those are the slants I saw today, but it was more than 2 cars, minimum 8, I believe.

Those are (C) Train R-32s from Pitkin Yard; They're in Coney for special repair.

I believe mainly R-46's were used. Somebody else who has a better memory than me can probably answer this one correctly.

Thanks. yup, those are the slants I saw today, but it was more than 2 cars, minimum 8, I believe.

I see them every Thurs and Fri (not this Fri PLD Day) while working the (N) Line...

There are about 40 cars all on two tracks..

Archived