Somali Pirates attack U.S.-flagged Maersk Alabama - for 2nd time this year

Harry

NAIROBI, Kenya - Somali pirates attacked the Maersk Alabama for the second time in seven months on Wednesday, but guards on board the U.S.-flagged cargo ship repelled the takeover attempt, the EU's naval force said.

Pirates hijacked the Maersk Alabama last April and took ship captain Richard Phillips hostage, holding him at gunpoint in a lifeboat for five days. Navy SEAL sharpshooters freed Phillips while killing three pirates in a daring nighttime attack.

Somali pirates attacked the ship with automatic weapons early Wednesday about 350 nautical miles east of the Somali coast, but guards on board the craft fired back and thwarted the attempted hijacking.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2009/11/18/2009-11-18_somali_pirates_attack_usflagged_maersk_alabama__for_2nd_time_this_year.html#ixzz0XDhyhWLi

post-1-133288581165_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581165_thumb.jpg

NAIROBI, Kenya - Somali pirates attacked the Maersk Alabama for the second time in seven months on Wednesday, but guards on board the U.S.-flagged cargo ship repelled the takeover attempt, the EU's naval force said.

Pirates hijacked the Maersk Alabama last April and took ship captain Richard Phillips hostage, holding him at gunpoint in a lifeboat for five days. Navy SEAL sharpshooters freed Phillips while killing three pirates in a daring nighttime attack.

Somali pirates attacked the ship with automatic weapons early Wednesday about 350 nautical miles east of the Somali coast, but guards on board the craft fired back and thwarted the attempted hijacking.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2009/11/18/2009-11-18_somali_pirates_attack_usflagged_maersk_alabama__for_2nd_time_this_year.html#ixzz0XDhyhWLi

Unfortunately this problem is all too real abroad..

Perhaps we need to start having some sort of police patrolling these ships if there isn't already any

Reminds me of the tall ships era with navies & hired guns going after pirates.

I just wish the socioeconomic situation in these parts of the world were less inclined to produce desperate hopelessness which drives people to risk their lives.

- A

Whatever happened to "shoot first and ask questions later"? I say blow the crap out of those mini boats before they have a chance to board the ships.

Better the ships than the scumbags.

They aren't scumbags, they are desperate people who have -nothing-.

- A

- A

I think you missed the part of the article where the pirates attacked a ship.

GC is right, they should be dealt with accordingly. Give all merchant vessels a rocket launcher.

- A

They are terrorists that resorts to extortion of money for the release and safety of the crew. Because of that, they deserve no sympathy.

You don't see bums on the streets trying to mug you because they want money do you? The police, if they catch the bum, would deal with them accordingly.

You know, they are humans too. Imagine if the situation in your country was so bleak you had to risk your life to be able to do anything about it. Not saying what they are doing is good or right or legal, just saying there's reasons behind it.

If my country was a wartorn famine plagued wasteland and off the coast a few miles were huge ships carrying things like cars, food, electronics worth ~500 million bucks per ship for the bigger ones i think i might have ideas about going after them too.

Not everything requires you to "kill them all". Bit 1200's thinking there, this is 2009 ya know?

- A

Not defending them. The world is not a simple yes/no black/white place. Nowhere do i say that it's ok or good or legal. Read what i typed again & again till you understand it, it's a huge part of our human landscape, part that is often conveniently overlooked.

- A

Not defending them. The world is not a simple yes/no black/white place. Nowhere do i say that it's ok or good or legal. Read what i typed again & again till you understand it, it's a huge part of our human landscape, part that is often conveniently overlooked.

- A

So not having gives people the right to kill? I'll remember that next time I go and get pizza, instead of paying I'll just kill the guy.

- A

Creating excuses is defending them. You are excusing their behavior.

What agenda? Criminals are criminals. Like in my example of the bums on the street, if they tried to rob you with a gun, are you going to 'excuse' their behavior because they are in that situation where they need to rob people to survive?

I don't see how holding rpgs or AK47s to anyone's head as excuseable.

GC for prez.

What agenda? Criminals are criminals. Like in my example of the bums on the street, if they tried to rob you with a gun, are you going to 'excuse' their behavior because they are in that situation where they need to rob people to survive?

I don't see how holding rpgs or AK47s to anyone's head as excuseable.

Criminals are people who made mistakes.

- A

Archived