How does one become a Conductor &/or a Locomotive Engineer for the MNR?

gregorygrice

Simply put, you have to keep on eye on the MNR website (employment section) and apply when these jobs are posted. I wouldn't expect to see either position posted in the near future as there were postings a month or so ago.

It is my understanding from a co-worker there are currently 3 classes of candidates being interviewed for conductor. Once these groups are exhausted then there may be additional testing. I wouldn't expect to see anything made public for at least 6 months.

Just because your potential dream job isn't currently available, I wouldn't let that stop you from applying for other positions within the company. I would apply for anything and everything you could apply for. Getting your foot in the door is half the battle. You can always transfer to another position or craft down the road. I know a number conductors and engineers that started out as custodians and coach cleaners.

To get your foot in the door an exemplary work history and background is key. Once in, keep your nose clean, maintain a good attendance and safety record. Failure to do so is just short of a guarantee that you will not be granted an appointment or transfer to a train crew position.

Simply put, you have to keep on eye on the MNR website (employment section) and apply when these jobs are posted. I wouldn't expect to see either position posted in the near future as there were postings a month or so ago.

It is my understanding from a co-worker there are currently 3 classes of candidates being interviewed for conductor. Once these groups are exhausted then there may be additional testing. I wouldn't expect to see anything made public for at least 6 months.

Just because your potential dream job isn't currently available, I wouldn't let that stop you from applying for other positions within the company. I would apply for anything and everything you could apply for. Getting your foot in the door is half the battle. You can always transfer to another position or craft down the road. I know a number conductors and engineers that started out as custodians and coach cleaners.

To get your foot in the door an exemplary work history and background is key. Once in, keep your nose clean, maintain a good attendance and safety record. Failure to do so is just short of a guarantee that you will not be granted an appointment or transfer to a train crew position.

Thanks for the input :P

Archived