G Train Problem 11/19/09

bveguy

There was some sort of (G) train problem today where they were kicking us off at Bedford-Nostrand today. They handed out the Block Tickets (blue slips from the TA). I heard it was because of a 12-9 and they were investigating it. Something about a suicide as well... Can anyone clarify/verify this?

For one thing, I was heavily affected by this, and got to school 43 minutes late. Fortunately, I was able to keep my Block Ticket for memorabilia.

There was some sort of (G) train problem today where they were kicking us off at Bedford-Nostrand today. They handed out the Block Tickets (blue slips from the TA). I heard it was because of a 12-9 and they were investigating it. Something about a suicide as well... Can anyone clarify/verify this?

For one thing, I was heavily affected by this, and got to school 43 minutes late. Fortunately, I was able to keep my Block Ticket for memorabilia.

Confirmed 12-9, one DOA at 7th Ave on the (F).

It's only getting reported more and during this time of the years, there is a jump in the number of jumpers.

Aren't suicides at their high during the holidays though?

Correct, thats what I said before. People get depressed at a higher rate then usual during the holiday season (we are basically in the holiday season now).

I was outside the station when the police, ambulance and firetrucks showed.

They had it all tidiedup within about 2 hours or so.

No, not really. I was on the second train thru the area and it was not cleaned up. There was still a big mess on the roadbed.

Correct, thats what I said before. People get depressed at a higher rate then usual during the holiday season (we are basically in the holiday season now).

That is just sad. B)

Maybe people are getting angry because Santa's not giving them anything for Christmas because they've been naughty! :P

I was heavily affected this morning since I was over a half-hour late for school. Around 8:30am I went to the token booth at Clinton-Washington Ave on the (G) and the police officer inform everyone that "No (G) Trains!" The station was closed and the police officer told me that someone got hit by a train that they can't turn around the trains and that train service would resume within a half-hour. I had to go to Forest Hills for school so I decided to walk to the Clinton-Washington Ave stop on the (C) to transfer for the (F) at Jay St-Boro Hall. When I got to the station, the (C) train was at the station but the doors had malfunction©. The train stayed at the station at least 10 minutes. At first I thought they might take the train OOS but ended up they fixed the door and the train resume service. I had no problems with the (F) train and got to school little after 10:00am. What was a normal 50 minute train ride ended up to be a 90 minute train ride.

To bveguy, what time you got kicked off at Bedford-Nostrand Ave on the (G)?

I was heavily affected this morning since I was over a half-hour late for school. Around 8:30am I went to the token booth at Clinton-Washington Ave on the (G) and the police officer inform everyone that "No (G) Trains!" The station was closed and the police officer told me that someone got hit by a train that they can't turn around the trains and that train service would resume within a half-hour. I had to go to Forest Hills for school so I decided to walk to the Clinton-Washington Ave stop on the (C) to transfer for the (F) at Jay St-Boro Hall. When I got to the station, the (C) train was at the station but the doors had malfunction©. The train stayed at the station at least 10 minutes. At first I thought they might take the train OOS but ended up they fixed the door and the train resume service. I had no problems with the (F) train and got to school little after 10:00am. What was a normal 50 minute train ride ended up to be a 90 minute train ride.

To bveguy, what time you got kicked off at Bedford-Nostrand Ave on the (G)?

It happens, the safety of the first responders and MTA workers responding to the 12-9 is alot more important. Yes it sucks, but that is the procedure that must be followed.

Here's the deal, but keep if off SubChat. Let's have an exclusive here for a change!

The 7:28 G/Church had the 12-9 Thursday. The train was a put-in from Church Yd. with a Church Ave. starting crew. The t/o was a female, a real sweetheart. Please think of her because she is going thru a lot. How I wish passengers intent on taking their own lives would stop getting us involved. We don't need to have this re-played in our minds for the rest of OUR lives. To "see" that person who jumped in front of you every time you pass that spot for the rest of your career is something we can do without. Makes you pick off a line! We just want to do our jobs.

That train was my G leader, there was an F between us at 15th St. so nobody was stuck in between stations, thankfully. I left Church @7:37 and held at Ft. Hamilton till 8:58. My c/r and I made frequent announcements, telling them to find out about bus service from the agent or take a s/b train to Church, and change for the B35 to another subway station, but I knew the buses couldn't handle all those extra riders.

S/b G's that passed me laid up at Church Yd. till it was over. Once the incident happened, G's arriving s/b at Bedford Nostrand were turned back to provide service to Court Sq. Whatever G's were on the way to Bergen were turned there. Some F's were turned at Begen to provide Manhattan bound service, some went to KH/STL. There had to be massive congestion at Bergen as each t/o had to relay his own train.

Naturally the incident train went lite to JYD. I was the first regular G thru. We did OK till Bergen, then got hammered. Standing load leaving Hoyt....full house at Classon.......crush load at Bedford Nostrand since the last train to get turned there was around the time I left Ft. Hamilton. It was ugly till Metropolitan when most got off........at Nassau crush loaded again.........impossible at Greenpoint. But we made it to Court Sq., a trip taking almost 2 hours. But how can I complain? I feel guilty and ashamed to say a 2 hour trip from Church to CSq. is better than having a 12-9. When it's your turn, it's your turn I suppose.

I feel for her and all the t/o's who have experienced this. I don't know how she's doing now, as nobody knew Friday and I don't work weekends. Call me selfish to say my thoughts are not with the deceased because my priority is with the survivor of this: my co-worker.

Tis the season of joy and happiness: Thanksgiving/Chanukah/Christmas/Kwanza or whatever holidays you celebrate. But the holidays also give rise to depression if life hasn't been good for you with this poor economy, no or insufficient employment or personal/family illness.

Archived