Cortlandt St N/B to reopen the day before Thanksgiving!

Qns Blvd Dom

http://lowermanhattan.info/news/cortlandt_st_northbound_subway_21173.aspx

On Wednesday, November 25th -- more than a month ahead of schedule -- the Metropolitan Transportation Authority will reopen the northbound platform of the Cortlandt Street R/W subway station at 3 p.m. The station was closed in summer 2005 while crews excavated for and built the structure of the Dey Street pedestrian concourse, which will link the Fulton Transit Center to the World Trade Center (WTC). That work was completed earlier this year, allowing crews to restore the northbound platform.

The Cortlandt Street southbound platform will remain closed as construction continues beside it in the WTC’s east bathtub. Depending on the progress there, that platform is planned to reopen in 2011.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am happy that it's finally reopening! Good to see it back now! :cool:

Interesting. I had thought they'd keep both sides closed until they finished the S/B platform (I remember reading about this but I can't remember where)... something to do with ADA compliance and completing the crossunder, but I guess they're just going to open it. Either way it's good news for people who can use the station.

I've seen recent photos of the station, and it looks finished, the only reason the other side is staying closed is for safety reasons.

- A

There is no south bound side. The platform is there but not the walls, there are doors that open right into the WTC pit.

Will Cortlandt Street on the (1) actually be reconstructed?

The whole station and a large section was completly wiped out on 9/11. The rebuilt the tunnel and I think they built a station shell. They could never open it because it is in side the WTC unlike Cortland on the (R) which is on the edge.

Yeah, I assumed they could only open the station once the area is much more completely developed. They have photos of the station shortly after 9/11...columns pierced through the ground above...shows the quality of construction down there.

There is no south bound side. The platform is there but not the walls, there are doors that open right into the WTC pit.

Indeed, hence why it remains closed. There were some folks that wanted to put temp stuff, similar to how they handled the trenton station renovation, but i don't think there was enough spots to put a temporary walkway support etc.

The bathtub is actually on the other side of the IRT tunnel, the H&M terminal/4WTC area is not fill, it's soil/rock etc. I think if they were not working on that area removing/demoing stuff they woulda popped in a temp access solution. Doesn't help that they have lots of equipment down there. 2011 sounds reasonable, just miss riding to SIF from PATH. :P

- A

As for the (1) station, the tunnel looks totally reconstructed just waiting for the construction to reach the level of the platform for full platforms to be opened. Stairs and elevator wells are there, no elevators in them, i guess they will come later as they build up to the street level.

img_216.jpg

I'm reminded every time i see that how amazing it is that we could rebuild anything there.

- A

PATH is inside the slurry wall bathtub, its platforms and station are open to the elements, and it can get pretty cold down there, i wonder how the (R)(W) will feel there with basically a fence in between the station and the pit. I hope they put up dust barriers etc.

- A

Archived