Did the bus driver have the right to do this?

ItaketheB1

Well basically what happened was me and my friend were transferring to the B68 at its terminal, and we saw that there was already a few passengers on it and the lights were turned on so we assumed that the bus was in service already (since when its not, its usually completely turned off and the doors are locked and I'm not sure but I don't think bus drivers usually leave buses unattended). We opened the door and put our metro cards in and sat down. Another women followed and sat down as well.

The bus driver came in and started yelling at us about how we had no permission to get on the bus and he told us to get out, but of course he didn't make the two women get off and the other few passengers sitting in the back, he didn't even question how they got on the bus. We had already paid and we still ended up walking.

Did he overreact? We paid the fare and we were forced to get off, but not the others. This is not a topic to bash bus drivers or the passengers, I'm just looking for opinions.

From what I am understanding, that is not supposed to happen. Was the bus operator (driver) inside the bus when you paid your fare? If that's the case then why is he kicking you out? That has to be the most bizzare thing to ever happen when boarding a bus.

It's not right but you should have waited outside first if the doors were closed. A lot of drivers over here do that at Jamaica Center (Q42/Q84) where they usually let the people already waiting on and then go off to chat and either leave the doors opened or closed. If they're closed, whoever comes around afterwards just waits for the driver.

Well basically what happened was me and my friend were transferring to the B68 at its terminal, and we saw that there was already a few passengers on it and the lights were turned on so we assumed that the bus was in service already (since when its not, its usually completely turned off and the doors are locked and I'm not sure but I don't think bus drivers usually leave buses unattended). We opened the door and put our metro cards in and sat down. Another women followed and sat down as well.

The bus driver came in and started yelling at us about how we had no permission to get on the bus and he told us to get out, but of course he didn't make the two women get off and the other few passengers sitting in the back, he didn't even question how they got on the bus. We had already paid and we still ended up walking.

Did he overreact? We paid the fare and we were forced to get off, but not the others. This is not a topic to bash bus drivers or the passengers, I'm just looking for opinions.

I would say it was inappropriate on your behalf for opening tha door's you did state in your post that tha Bus was unattended but did have Customer's/Passengers onboard if it were me i would have just questioned you as to how and why you opened tha doors made a note of it and called it a day

I would say it was inappropriate on your behalf for opening tha door's you did state in your post that tha Bus was unattended but did have Customer's/Passengers onboard if it were me i would have just questioned you as to how and why you opened tha doors made a note of it and called it a day

We opened the doors by pulling them outward, it was cold and we wanted to sit down already and be on our way home and naturally we saw no problem in that if other passengers already took a seat. Yes, maybe it was not a good idea to open the doors ourselves. But I don't think it warranted kicking us out especially AFTER we put in our metro cards, and just us, not the other passengers that entered.

Well its your fault for going in like that and the bus operator for kicking you guys out and leaving the rest in after payment..

You cant open the doors even if the bus engines and lights were on. It could of been out of service, who knows if the b/o needed to get something off the supervisor or something. So you were wrong on that case.

As for the Bus operator, he shouldn't have gotten pissed and kick you guys out while leaving other passengers in it. Idl why he left in first place. He might of though tho you guys were fare beaters and just got a ride free. But you could of told him you paid and apologize for entering the bus unattended.

Next time don't enter a bus with NO bus operator inside. If the door is open and passengers are in it, you can go in or wait for the B/O. If no one is inside and doors is open and no B/os, don't go in, wait of course..

Sorry for the incident however.

You want an opinion, here's one...

You & said friend should have been thrown off the bus.... and anyone else that the bus driver did not see, with his own two eyes, board that bus & "pay their fares" while not being in the vicinity of the bus..... Why he singled you two out, I don't know... are you leaving out parts of the story that might give us a little better understanding of why the b/o opted to just oust you two?

Some of you people take the idea of public transportation a little too far....

Because it was cold outside...

Although you & friend might have had good intentions, the b/o doesn't know that....

Just chalk up the experience as a lesson learned, that's all... that b/o could've been more difficult about the situation if he wanted to....

Honestly your both wrong... he should have never left the bus unattended and you shouldnt have opened the doors..BUT I would have told him to call supervision and watch his attitude change

Well this happened to me while doing Rikers Island.....when I get to the Island I will go inside to use the rest room....I shut off the bus and close the door......this lady that works at the Island asked me to sit in the bus.....I said no.....do you know when I came out from using the rest room this lady was sitting in the bus.....I flipped out.....it is just a safety concern.....also I have my personal stuff in the bus......I would never let anybody on the bus if I was going away for any reason!!

We opened the doors by pulling them outward, it was cold and we wanted to sit down already and be on our way home and naturally we saw no problem in that if other passengers already took a seat. Yes, maybe it was not a good idea to open the doors ourselves. But I don't think it warranted kicking us out especially AFTER we put in our metro cards, and just us, not the other passengers that entered.

You were 100% wrong in taking the liberty of opening the door. I'm sure that if you had pinched your hand in the door, you would have run straight to your lawyer looking to get paid.

Without knowing the particulars of the incident , and reading some of the bus operators responses, I would say that you were in the wrong to start with. What if it were a crime scene or medical emergency that you happened upon ? Maybe the B/O was taking a comfort relief or something. Would you open the doors to an unoccupied taxi ? A subway train is a different question. In a terminal, with the doors opened it's one thing. Would you go between the cars or key yourself on if no one was present? As for the B/O mentioned I don't know the situation fully but suppose there were special inspectors (beakies) in the area ? Maybe the other B/O s out here could shed more light on what a B/O would do in that situation 'cause IDK.

On day I went to see movie Taking Of Pelham 1-2-3, I took N2 ride to Green Acres Mall for either Q5 or Q85.

I was not sure if that was beginning or last stop.

When Q5 got there, nice b/o told me it was not first stop, and he let me sit down on bus during layover and he told me, "If you want to have fresh air, you could go out.

people have nerves lol how do you go to a bus and open the doors like it's OK ???? they say it's cold so what !! the problem is most passengers think it's OK to do what they want because it's a city bus but the truth is bus operators are held responsible for the bus and that means anything or anyone in it , if the doors were closed it was for a reason and the people wanting to get on should have not taken it upon them self's to open the doors and sit down like it's there home or car , i don't care if you paid or not there's a point to this ..

example 1.

what if you got on the bus and fell and cracked your head open or got robbed stabbed or what ever then what the driver loses his job because because people don't know how to wait and see whats going on first !!!

example 2. what if the driver left the bus because there was a hostage situation going on and you jumped on the bus , now you just became part of it also .. things happen every day especially these days , you never know whats going on ............i just don't get people i mean is it really that hard to think before you do something .. as far as the driver kicking them off i would have not done that even if i didn't see you pay.

i would have told you what you did was wrong and explained why , there's a lot of drivers who are animals and have no heart not all but some !!!! i am a driver and love what i do and if i didn't like my job i would leave it no matter how much it pays . i feel if i can not give at least a 100% then why bother just my (2) cents

If the door is closed, you aren't supposed to get on. Also, if the driver isn't sitting in his seat, you're supposed to stay out. Although you paid your fare properly, he doesn't know that, because he didn't see. Next time, wait until the bus driver waves you on.

It's an honest mistake though. It happens sometimes.

If the door is closed, you aren't supposed to get on. Also, if the driver isn't sitting in his seat, you're supposed to stay out. Although you paid your fare properly, he doesn't know that, because he didn't see. Next time, wait until the bus driver waves you on.

It's an honest mistake though. It happens sometimes.

(V)ery we;; put everybody ,<R>oku states it well ,If B/O is not there then do not enter .©PBo states A very good point our stuff is in the bus also but I feel nobody has the right to Open those (D)oors ,With or without (:)/O present .

(N)ext time use better (J)udgement on the matter ,This B/O could of turned it around ,It's called (N)ot paying your fare ((F)are (E)vasion) to the B/Op

cuz He did not see you pay and that could be A prob for you peeps .

(E)xample , When you don't pay your fare on the (S)ubway what happens if you get caught ((S)ame (S)cenerio) it's no joke just be careful next time :P

I'm suprised to hear that MTA allows bus drivers to have passengers on the bus when the bus is on layover. This is strictly prohibited at Suffolk Transit, CBS Lines fired a driver for doing exactly that. Some buses at other ST companies do this, but at CBS they do not allow it.

Only time its allowed is when the driver has to use a restroom in an emergency, but its usually done in the middle of a route, not at a layover.

The reason is for safety. How can one feel comfortable having passengers on an idling bus? A passenger can try and drive it away and risk people's lives and property damage! I'm really suprised the MTA allows this given their strict rules in general.

I would never get on a bus without a bus operator present.

Wait you opened the door? Don't ever open the door, if it's closed, you're not invited! The driver kicked y'all out only because he probably saw y'all open the door, good for you two. Keep on walking if you don't know how to get on the bus... If it was cold out maybe you should put on more clothing. It is all your fault!

• 8 months later...
I'm suprised to hear that MTA allows bus drivers to have passengers on the bus when the bus is on layover. This is strictly prohibited at Suffolk Transit, CBS Lines fired a driver for doing exactly that. Some buses at other ST companies do this, but at CBS they do not allow it.

Only time its allowed is when the driver has to use a restroom in an emergency, but its usually done in the middle of a route, not at a layover.

The reason is for safety. How can one feel comfortable having passengers on an idling bus? A passenger can try and drive it away and risk people's lives and property damage! I'm really suprised the MTA allows this given their strict rules in general.

I would never get on a bus without a bus operator present.

Maybe now it is but in the 90's. There was this one driver who drove the S62, he use to have a friend that rode with him all the time. One time he was working with on a Saturday, he arrived at the Smith Haven Mall discharged the passengers and went Out Of Service with his friend sitting in the first seat by the front door, when he came back to start his next run, his friend was sitting in the seat right behind the drivers area. The same driver once drove though the parking lot of Port Jefferson Shopping Plaza to get to the bus stop, this was when they moved the stop to its current location and forbid the drivers from driving behind the shopping center.

There is also a picture i saw of the S62, bus 933, on lay over at Riverhead with a passenger still on the bus, i believe it the same driver as the one mentioned above based on the sole passenger reminds me of the drivers friend.

Well basically what happened was me and my friend were transferring to the B68 at its terminal, and we saw that there was already a few passengers on it and the lights were turned on so we assumed that the bus was in service already (since when its not, its usually completely turned off and the doors are locked and I'm not sure but I don't think bus drivers usually leave buses unattended).We opened the door and put our metro cards in and sat down. Another women followed and sat down as well.

You opened the door?WHY did you do that?This is telling me that even though there were a few passengers already there,the driver went off to take care of his business thus was not present.The doors are closed you DO NOT open the doors!Wait for the driver next time.

PLEASE remember never to open the door out without the driver giving you permission to enter. Even if you pay the fare the driver won't see for sure if you did, then that makes you look like a fare evader!!! You're basically robbing yourself of your own money and time if you do that! I've seen people do that and they ended up walking. Why? They used a token, dropped it in the farebox, and didn't have a spare. You'd be a little more lucky if you had an unlimited ride pass, but still, don't take that risk!

Are you serious??? If I have shut off my bus and secured it, (lights off, front door closed or locked) & I came back to find people on it.....I would have gone on the bus, closed & locked the doors & called the command center to notify NYPD. You would have been arrested for Criminal Tresspass and Breaking/entering upon NYC property without permission & consent.

If I call for a personal, go to meal or have layover time at any point of the route, secure the bus NO ONE is allowed to come upon that bus for ANY reason!!!! Was this some kind of joke?? Do you realize the problems you could have caused for yourself had the operator taken another moment to weigh his options. As for me, if something like that should happen, I pity the people involved once the NYPD gets involved!!!!!

Think it over. Is doing something silly worth being arrested for??(MTA)

Archived