An idea to stop Police Vandalism with Railfans,and make Railfanning much safer

NYtransit

even thou i know this idea will never debut,but i thought id share it.how about we make this thing called "NYC subway photographer license",and this license will show that the person who is the owner of this "card" will have free permission to take photos of the NYC subway,and show that he/she knows the NYC subway very well and is fan of it and does not plan to use these for "terriorism". these licenses are free and could be obtained in any agent booth,or the NYC trainst musuem,and you simply need to show is a school I.D,I.D,passport or anything that shows you live here in NYC.Once you get this,it would be like having a I.D so cops know that you are taking pictures for the fun of it,and not using it against them. it would be perfect if this came out. finally the cops no longer think you are doing something illegal,and you have something that shows you like the NYC subway,and you have proof. whats your guys ideas on this?

I think that will be good idea.

Maybe, it says International Transit Photography Licence for taking pictures in transit system with US President Signature.

And what does the prez has to do with NYCT rules on photography and the way its run?

The idea won't work, but it's a nice thought.

How about an outreach campaign asking people to not use flash in the subway system & ask for a permit if you'd like to use lights etc.

Personally i think a reason (NYCT) is hesitant bout educating folks is because some stations are really not in good shape.

In any case, police and transit employees should know the rules more than railfans....

- A

or what about the terrorist that says 'Hi, I love the subway and I want to take pictures, can I get a license?' ...

Yeah, because, you know...none of the "attempts" that have been thwarted the past few years were done by US citizens :confused::confused::tdown:

An idea to stop police from thinking you are suspicioius is to comply with them when they ask you why you're taking photos and not act defensive in return. They'll let you keep snapping away.

I've had some police officers observing me take photos of the subway I looked at them and they said "keep going" and I did.

I've had police officers question me, but never had one tell me "that's illegal".

An idea to stop police from thinking you are suspicioius is to comply with them when they ask you why you're taking photos and not act defensive in return. They'll let you keep snapping away.

I've had some police officers observing me take photos of the subway I looked at them and they said "keep going" and I did.

I've had police officers question me, but never had one tell me "that's illegal".

Another shocking concept: cooperating with the police.

Da PO-lice iz evil!!!!!!

Did mention how awesome you are?

I don't know whether it's just me or me being lucky or what, I never had police officers telling me not to photograph certain areas. In fact, I had one officer help me photgraph a few of my first ever subway shots.

Not saying I'll never be stopped by officers, but the ones I passed by either let me photograph, and some would give me tips how to photograph for better pictures.

if you see the police standing in the station, just ask them politely if you can take photos, thats what I did in Bowling Green station today, the cop said "sure". The key is not to be defensive and hostile, then they think you have something to hide.

That's a great idea. Police officers don't mind usually, just gotta be cool with them.

if you see the police standing in the station, just ask them politely if you can take photos, thats what I did in Bowling Green station today, the cop said "sure". The key is not to be defensive and hostile, then they think you have something to hide.

And what if they say no, and you show em the rules and NYPD rules but its still a no?

Even talking to them kindly?

And what if they say no, and you show em the rules and NYPD rules but its still a no?

Even talking to them kindly?

if it was me, I would catch the next train, go to another station and take photos there. Some of the stations, particularly midtown ones don't have good lighting for photos anyway. The platforms well lit but not the tracks.

if it was me, I would catch the next train, go to another station and take photos there. Some of the stations, particularly midtown ones don't have good lighting for photos anyway. The platforms well lit but not the tracks.

Ya, but if it was a good station, like an EL, why leave. Unless there is a cop.

Instead of me asking permission, since you are free to take a shot, id prefer to go to the first car of the train, when i hit a station, i look out the window to see if a cop is around. Thos some cops could be hidden or worst undercover, but still, i do that instead..

LOL he has a good point.because a terrorist is like a chameleon,they come in different colors.

That's really the point. A terrorist is not one thing. You can't exactly separate them. Which is what puts the police on a higher alert and can cause random suspicion. Just like soldiers fighting in a guerilla warfare environment.

Which, is why we should not have aggressive, self-righteous or defensive behavior when confronted by a police officer or TA cop. They are the authority, and when you stand in defiance of their authority, you're creating confrontation. It's their job to be the authority. Bend in respect, and move along and chances are you'll be problem free, cant you see?

Archived