Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Redbird Questions

R10 2952

-Which subway car(s) were the first to run in the Redbird paint scheme, and when? Which subway train(s) were the first to consist solely of Redbird subway cars?

-Which IRT subway cars were painted in the 'Greenbird' paint scheme, and why?

-Other than red, green, or all-white, were any other paint schemes considered in the 1980s?

The cars that were painted green were six R33s that ran on fan trips and possibly in revenue service. That's the only one I can answer.

We actually ran the 10 car " green machine " in regular (2)/(5) service for a while in the mid-late 80's. IIRC the cars were in the 8840 series. The problem was it was always a "slow train" and pulled from service after the rush hours. It was sent to 207th st yard to be checked out. The motor problems were fixed but it came back as a redbird.

The R26, built in 1959. Rebuilt in 1985-1987, the R26s were the first cars to become Redbirds.

As Redbirds, the R26s mainly served on the (2) and (5) lines which serve Westchester Avenue, Southern Boulevard, White Plains Road and The Esplanade in The Bronx.

On October 24, 2002, they made their final trip - on the (5). The R26s were forty-three, seventeen of those years as Redbirds.

it did on unrebuilt cars, as well as models that werent going to make it thru the 80s like the R16, R21-22, etc

I know that many R-17s were repainted as Redbirds before they retired in 1988... I wonder if any other unrebuilt cars were repainted as Redbirds/Greenbirds (well, the R-10 not included, because it was the most famous 1980s 'Greenbird').

Archived