No more RTS buses in Staten Island?

jeffmorris

I think that there's no more RTS buses in Staten Island. I know that MTA stopped buying RTS buses and started buying Orion buses about 20 years ago. At first, I thought that the company that built RTS buses went out of business along with the company that built Flxible 870/Metro buses.

Staten Island is now Orion country, including the MCIs that serve the express routes. The last time I rode an RTS bus was on the S61 from Yukon Depot. This was in November of 2008. I'm pretty sure that they stuck a little while longer after that but that's as far as I can remember.

I think that there's no more RTS buses in Staten Island. I know that MTA stopped buying RTS buses and started buying Orion buses about 20 years ago. At first, I thought that the company that built RTS buses went out of business along with the company that built Flxible 870/Metro buses.

There are also no more RTS' in the Bronx as well.

I remember always grabbing RTS's on the Yukon Routes.. Back in my High School days, Castleton had some really beat up RTS's; Im talking (1998-2000).

Wasn't that where a majority of the RTS's were anyway?

Wasn't that where a majority of the RTS's were anyway?

When I started taking the bus full time in Fall of 1998, I used the S54 to/from Wagner. We had alot of the 240-250 series Orions out of Castelton. Yukon was still running alot of the older Express 3880s to 3990s series, and the 4700 and 4800 series ( Express series as well). For the most part, Yukon had the bulk of the RTS's, and Castelton had a few. Once I saw the first new Orion 6165 pull up in front of school, I knew these would come in, and shift everything around. Castelton, for the longest time had Orion 470-504. I just saw these models over in Flushing about a month ago.

Staten Island:

the last RTS bus i took at Castleton was 8100* on the S48 in 2006,

the last RTS bus i took at Yukon was 9425** on the S79 in 2008.

* 8100 is retired.

**9425 is now at Ulmer Park. I took it on the B6 LTD a few weeks ago.

The Bronx:

The last RTS bus i took at West Farms were 8786** and 8557*, both on the Bx35.

*8557 might be retired by now.

**8786 is now at ENY.

yes all of the staten island rts novas are at ulmer park now for about a year almost . here are the list ( 9382-9416,) (9418-9429,) (9613, 9658-9659 are 3 from flatbush depot . . . ) as you can see ( 9301, 9305, 9309, 9314, 9324, 9330 ) are at ulmer park as well . the rest had went to lga last year . 9303 is retired . and 9302 is a zerega in the bronx getting massive repair$ .

yes all of the staten island rts novas are at ulmer park now for about a year almost . here are the list ( 9382-9416,) (9418-9429,) (9613, 9658-9659 are 3 from flatbush depot . . . ) as you can see ( 9301, 9305, 9309, 9314, 9324, 9330 ) are at ulmer park as well . the rest had went to lga last year . 9303 is retired . and 9302 is a zerega in the bronx getting massive repair$ .

i believe 9417 on the S79 was involved in an accident. am i right?

nope 9417 is alright and it wasnt never in a accident . . lol . . . 9414 is cool but i dont see it alot now so its on diffrent routes or getting repaired . and umm 9324 is being repaired also i saw it in the garage this morning with a notice on it . it said nyct bus out of service= 11.21.09

its only been 10 years since the MTA purchased RTS buses. They were first built by GMC, then TMC, then NovaBUS. Recently a company called Millennium Transit took over, but went into Chapter 11 after losing the bid for NJT.

the Flxible Metro/870 also went thru a few manufacturers. Those buses ceased to be built after running out of money just after winning a bid to build 50 for the MTA. That bid went to Orion (i beleive the numbers of thos Orions were 581-630)

The last RTS buses left Staten Island Division earlier this year with the delivery of Orion VII NG units.

Bronx is almost all RTS-free, except for a handful at West Farms.

The last garage with only RTS buses for local service is Ulmer Park.

The last RTS buses left Staten Island Division earlier this year with the delivery of Orion VII NG units.

Bronx is almost all RTS-free, except for a handful at West Farms.

West farms only have 8787 how do they have a handful of RTS? Are they getting more?!

Edit: TTMG roster says no RTS there :P

Archived