T/O vs Conductor Exam

subwaydriver

Then again, at BERA you're not on a tight schedule ;) or approaching the stations at fast speeds and stopping on the marker :P

I was on a tight schedule cause peeps were waiting for their turns :cool:

And you're just operating one car, not 8 cars of weight behind you.

Do you really feel all the rest of the cars on your train set? There all powerd and they have brakes, so its not like 1 car is pulling 7 or 9 dead weight trains ect.

Do you really feel all the rest of the cars on your train set? There all powerd and they have brakes, so its not like 1 car is pulling 7 or 9 dead weight trains ect.

Im not a T/O yet so I dont know the difference in how it feels but there has to be a difference because not all of the brakes are activated and released and the same exact moment, pretty close but not the exactly the same and Im sure there is some push/pull feeling somehow. Same thing when making turns etc.

Im not a T/O yet so I dont know the difference in how it feels but there has to be a difference because not all of the brakes are activated and released and the same exact moment, pretty close but not the exactly the same and Im sure there is some push/pull feeling somehow. Same thing when making turns etc.

10-4

A T/O let me operate out of unionport to dyre a while back shhhhhhh, well actually to between baychester and dyre so they dont see me operating lol. I hit the 10 car marker at every stop from morris park to baychester and followed the signals. It was my first time operating so will I do well on my road pratical when I get called for T/O? I got a 96 on the promotion so im just waiting for that 03 open comp to terminate. I know it was a 142 so those are easier to operate with the one hand. I cant wait to go up front.

Except those practicals...

Nobody is holding your hand with that...

When we took our road practical we had the Supt Of School Car with us and he was in a BAD mood...

He was ready to flunk people out on the spot....

does that supt's last name begin with a d or a h?

let me tell you, operating a subway train is no joke......stopping it is a *****......and dont get started on those r-68a's........that's a whole other story in itself...............lol

In addition to what was posted above, also remember that "they don't make brakes like they used to" and any cars in the system will not have the same responsive brakes as the R17 or even the Lo-V. The brakes are much longer since passenger comfort standards are higher and the cast iron shoes have been replaced with composite shoes (which take longer to stop, part of the reason the Willy-B wreck happened)

Except those practicals...

Nobody is holding your hand with that...

When we took our road practical we had the Supt Of School Car with us and he was in a BAD mood...

He was ready to flunk people out on the spot....

QUOTE]

let me tell you, operating a subway train is no joke......stopping it is a *****......and dont get started on those r-68a's........that's a whole other story in itself...............lol

No it didn't his last name began with a "G" hint its the last name of the Yankees manager.

The BERA is a good place to learn how to run a train but it doesn't compare with running a real train. You don't really go that fast. WHile in the real world you hitting a station at 35 MPH and got to pick your spot to make a good stop at the marker. That is no stopping short or long even creeping to the marker is not good. Being a good Train Operator is all about train control. Operating junk that don't want to stop will make you sweat until you get seasoned then you look at it as a challege. What made me as a T/O was operating bad trains dealing with R42's especially the CI Rebuilds, R44, and the R68A. I believe operating a Subway train is not hard with the right training but isn't all easy.

If you find stopping a train to be a *****, remind me not to get on your train. I really don't like being thrown around. And R68As are just like redbirds - you have to work with them.

No it didn't his last name began with a "G" hint its the last name of the Yankees manager.

He spells it differently (and doesn't work for School Car anymore).

What does it consist of anyway? Closing/opening doors, making announcements, and programming R160s?

properly boarding train from tracks, terminal procedures, station stop procedures, proper radio communication, door cut out, car isolation, procedures for t/o overrunning station/stopping short of proper marker. i think that was it. we did get informally tested on programming the automated trains during school car and was told that there was a chance we'd use one for the practical, but we didn't. :tup:

for safety reasons, apparently so.

and you are correct LexAveExp5. you are only responsible to learn how to operate the 62's and the 142's for A division.

Kinda sad, the only thing I know is that one of the first times I did it, I was told to take off my back pack and that was it. I could not even count how many times I have climed up from the roadbed now

Not to be a wise ass, but they really need to have a practical on that?

It's part of amuch longer practical.

Isn't there only one way to do that really? I figured out how to climb onto 6688 in about 30 seconds...

There is one right way to do it and a lot of wrong ways. Which way did you use?

Archived