5 on the 2 and F on the E

bharat

On Sat, I hopped into a downtown (2) at 42 st with someone from out of town. When we got in, she wanted to know weher we were getting off so she could find it on the electronic map. I look up and I struggle to find "Park Place" and then realize why - it is a "(5)" map! So a (5) was bsing used on the (2). How often does that happen?

Today, I hopped into a downtown (E) at 7Av/53rd and buried myself in my mag. Then when it stopped betwene stations somewhere I had lost track of where we were. So I look up at the display and what do I see? The orange "(F)" sign and the strip map showing the next stop to be "Avenue A"! As it turned out, we pulled up into W4 a couple of minutes later and I got my bearings back.

Bharat

http://eone.vox.com

On Sat, I hopped into a downtown (2) at 42 st with someone from out of town. When we got in, she wanted to know weher we were getting off so she could find it on the electronic map. I look up and I struggle to find "Park Place" and then realize why - it is a "(5)" map! So a (5) was bsing used on the (2). How often does that happen?

The (2) and the (5) share equipment and the cars are interchangeable...IE to keep service levels as intended, a (2) may come into the terminal at Flatbush Ave, then before it leaves, it becomes a (5) to fill a gap in service...and a little later a (5) will become a (2) to make up for the train that became a (5). They do this often, and since the strip maps are physically inside the car, there isn't time to change them out or anything when this happens, so you will see (2) cars with (5) line strip maps and vice versa fairly often.

Today, I hopped into a downtown (E) at 7Av/53rd and buried myself in my mag. Then when it stopped betwene stations somewhere I had lost track of where we were. So I look up at the display and what do I see? The orange "(F)" sign and the strip map showing the next stop to be "Avenue A"! As it turned out, we pulled up into W4 a couple of minutes later and I got my bearings back.

Bharat

http://eone.vox.com

For the (2) and (5), the cars are swapped and shared, that's why occasionally you see for example a "(5) train car" on the (2) line, it happens often, but only on the R142 because their strip maps cannot be changed quickly. For R160s (the one you saw with the (E) and (F)) what happens is their FIND system (electronic strip map version) is known to often freeze up resulting for the route and stations to be mismatched.

The Easy way to say it:

(2) and (5) Swaps cars with each other at Flatbush Avenue, then they get stuck with each other till ether they swap at Flatbush or at 239th Street yard. Yes they can swap there too.. They swap because if one train was late for service, like the (5) and there is two 241st bound (2) at Flatbush, they will turn one of the (2)s into a (5).. Same vicr versa.. TrainMaster<5> said it before..

You can see the Union Port (5) cars on the (2) on weekend sor late nights, same for the (2) cars on (5)!

For the (E) and (F), i think they share cars too... Via Jamaica. Lucky its an R160 tho, so no strip maps used!

(2) and (5) Swaps cars with each other at Flatbush Avenue, then they get stuck with each other till ether they swap at Flatbush or at 239th Street yard. Yes they can swap there too.. They swap because if one train was late for service, like the (5) and there is two 241st bound (2) at Flatbush, they will turn one of the (2)s into a (5).. Same vicr versa.. TrainMaster<5> said it before..

You can see the Union Port (5) cars on the (2) on weekend sor late nights, same for the (2) cars on (5)!

For the (E) and (F), i think they share cars too... Via Jamaica. Lucky its an R160 tho, so no strip maps used!

Very well said! :tup:

What are you talking about?:confused:

I'm saying that people don't pay attention to the bullet on the front/back on the train, listen to announcements and look at the destination scroller thing in the cars. There's hardly been times where I've seen the scrollers lock up like the FINDs on the R160s.

I'm saying that people don't pay attention to the bullet on the front/back on the train, listen to announcements and look at the destination scroller thing in the cars. There's hardly been times where I've seen the scrollers lock up like the FINDs on the R160s.

Your right! People just don't read especially tourist. I mean even for the (D) g/o on the weekend, people were wondering whats going on.. Geez.. Then they blame the t/a for this crap..

That's not completely fair since rollsigns have often been signed incorrectly because of:

people changing signs (especially when they still had handcranks)

broken signs

insufficient time to change signs at terminals where equipment is swapped. Even recently when R-32s, 40s, and 42s were on the (E)(F)(R)(V), some trains were running completely signed for other lines.

You have to remember a lot of tourists are not railfans and they rely on guides that show the regular service pattern...just help them out and don't make fun of them (unless they insist on not listening to what you say)

Furthermore, I've noticed that some of these tourist guides (which they probably paid for) are filled with errors and have outdated maps, some of which still show the Manny B (W)(Q)<Q> service pattern. :confused:

You have to remember a lot of tourists are not railfans and they rely on guides that show the regular service pattern...just help them out and don't make fun of them (unless they insist on not listening to what you say)

I dont make fun and i do help. And why would they be reailfans or not? There signs up to read.. Now unless they dont know english then im speechless.

Furthermore, I've noticed that some of these tourist guides (which they probably paid for) are filled with errors and have outdated maps, some of which still show the Manny B (W)(Q)<Q> service pattern. :confused:

Think that's bad? In 2000, I remember coming across a couple out-of-towners with a map showing yellow (:P, (D), (N), (Q) and (R)!

Those strip maps really fool passengers along Nostrand Avenue. I once had a passenger riding what she thought was a (2) train with the (2) strip map, but hearing "This is a Manhattan bound (5) express train, the next stop is Nevis Street." the passenger freaked out and got off.

I remember the first week the R160s were on the (F), some people thought the (F) trains were (E) trains. When they were at 21st Street Queensbridge, some passengers had a panic attack. They scrambled to get off at West 4th Street to get their beloved (E) back.

No excuse on confusing the (E) for a (F) or vice versa. The R160 displays work so that all info is on one line. Sometimes it freezes, but lately I had all R160 displays working properly.

R160 FINDs locking up has been a thing in the past. Most of the NTTs that I'm seeing now are having minor problems or no problem at all. Compared to a few months ago, the situation has definitely improved.

The (2) and (5) switching thing is a VERY frequent thing to be seen along the (2) and (5) trains. This happens everyday and it can get kind of annoying sometimes.

I've seen tourists and regular riders ALWAYS get confused at Grand Concourse when the R142 is sitting at the station almost ready to depart. The problem is that the stairs come down right next to the window that does not show the side LED screens. In addition to that, the annoucements already played and the train is about to leave in a few seconds. The strip maps certainly don't help in that situation and there's been many times where people ended up getting off at 135th street in Manhattan or 3 Avenue - 138th Street.

Some station visuals would help in that situation, but daily riders get used to the subway patterns.

Archived