Guard who witnessed D train bloodbath, says he slammed brakes on subway slay

Harry

An eyewitness to the (D) train murder says he's the passenger who pulled the emergency brake and described in detail the horrifying minutes after the stabbing.

Security guard Vincent Martinez was riding home after a long night at work at 2 a.m. Saturday when he heard the first screams from victim Dwight Johnson.

"He was screaming, 'I'm dying, I'm dying,' and there was blood coming out of his mouth and spraying out his neck," said Martinez, 25.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/11/24/2009-11-24_security_guard_witnesses_d_train_bloodbath_up_close_says_he____slammed_brakes_on.html#ixzz0XmoiavSj

post-1-133288581174_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581174_thumb.jpg

Awesome job guy! Sometimes in an emergency, a train my be drirected to go to the next stop because the police can respond to that location faster. I hope this guy would have been able to live with his actions if more people were hurt.

So this is the genius that pulled the emergency brakes trapping people with the crazy guy.

If that's what you want to call it. I think he did a good job by thinking fast and having this perp caught if pulling the brakes would lead to his arrest. I don't know what the guy would do if he had a gun, but if all he's armed with is a knife, 20-30 passengers could take him on.

So this is the genius that pulled the emergency brakes trapping people with the crazy guy.

Yeah he was the genius so what about it?

What the hell was he supposed to do?

You really need to sit back and think real good before you post.

Awesome job guy! Sometimes in an emergency, a train my be drirected to go to the next stop because the police can respond to that location faster. I hope this guy would have been able to live with his actions if more people were hurt.

You know, if the guy was armed with a gun instead of a knife, then I could see the gripe here. A knife, while still dangerous isn't nearly as threatening as a gun, which can strike down targets from a distance. I would have pulled the E Brake too.

You know, if the guy was armed with a gun instead of a knife, then I could see the gripe here. A knife, while still dangerous isn't nearly as threatening as a gun, which can strike down targets from a distance. I would have pulled the E Brake too.

So would I. But that's where the problem lies with the 75' cars: there's basically a "point of no return" until you get to the next station. I'm starting to think that a new guideline should be considered, such as making the B Division all 60' cars between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. as a safety precaution.

Yeah he was the genius so what about it?

What the hell was he supposed to do?

You really need to sit back and think real good before you post.

How about the fact that he then goes and forces himself into the motorman's cab when the T/O comes out to see what is going in and stays in there while everyone he just put in danger by pulling the emergency cord gets stuck in the car with the guy that just stabbed someone?

How about the fact that he then goes and forces himself into the motorman's cab when the T/O comes out to see what is going in and stays in there while everyone he just put in danger by pulling the emergency cord gets stuck in the car with the guy that just stabbed someone?

A smart T/O closes and locks that door as soon as he exits it. Plus, have we heard what car all of this took place in yet? Someone fill me in? Was this guy in the very front, very back, middle...what? Because so far from what I've seen this guy wasn't in any of the cars where one of the train crew members might have been.

A smart T/O closes and locks that door as soon as he exits it. Plus, have we heard what car all of this took place in yet? Someone fill me in? Was this guy in the very front, very back, middle...what? Because so far from what I've seen this guy wasn't in any of the cars where one of the train crew members might have been.

"The motorman looked out and Martinez forced his way inside, slamming the door behind him. " The motorman wasn't out of his cab, the guy forced himself into the cab and closed the door shut.

It's called being in a panicked state of mind. No one know what the hell they would do in a situation like that.

I'm not even concerned about what he did, what concerns me is the reply by you being a staff member of this board. Instead of being neutral like you should, you go and resort to name calling that reflects poorly on your part and the rest of the staff of this board. C'mon think dude. :P

In light of this stabbing, the B Division should run 60' cars at night, because once you board the 75-footers, you have basically entered a point of no return until the next station. If that were to happen, the passengers could pull the brake, escape, and even try to secure the guy by trapping him so he won't jump onto the tracks and escape, while others head to notify the motorman or conductor, whichever is closer.

In addition, a thought just hit me: what ever happened to running half-length cars at night?

Weather it's a gun or a knife, it does not really matter. What if the PD response was to be 10 minutes at station A and only 2 minutes at station B? Now what if the train had started traveling to the next station and was not stuck between the two, the response would take alot longer and more people could get hurt. And with the cord pulled, the only way to move again is by having one of the train crew reset it and since I'm not a a cop, you could not pay me to go into that car and do it I don't care what out of control center says to me. I am just glad that it worked out that no one else was hurt and the perp was cought, but it could have been so much worse.

In light of this stabbing, the B Division should run 60' cars at night, because once you board the 75-footers, you have basically entered a point of no return until the next station. If that were to happen, the passengers could pull the brake, escape, and even try to secure the guy by trapping him so he won't jump onto the tracks and escape, while others head to notify the motorman or conductor, whichever is closer.

In addition, a thought just hit me: what ever happened to running half-length cars at night?

I don't think you can lay up so many R68s at Concourse yard, you'll still have to run 75' trains regardless.

I don't think the MTA wants to detach and reattach train sets again, so they'll leave the D and most other lines at full length.

Weather it's a gun or a knife, it does not really matter. What if the PD response was to be 10 minutes at station A and only 2 minutes at station B? Now what if the train had started traveling to the next station and was not stuck between the two, the response would take alot longer and more people could get hurt. And with the cord pulled, the only way to move again is by having one of the train crew reset it and since I'm not a a cop, you could not pay me to go into that car and do it I don't care what out of control center says to me. I am just glad that it worked out that no one else was hurt and the perp was cought, but it could have been so much worse.

Honestly, I think it does. If I had to be trapped with a killer, I'd rather he be holding a knife than a gun. My place on the subject simply is that it worked out and this guy got caught. I would have pulled the brake if it came down to it.

"Could you live with yourself if the guy hurt more people?"

I already have to. Someone close to me is gone because I sat and watched him defend me from harm. I had the chance to remove the weapon from the scenario but fear held me back. The alcohol on the wound was that this guy escaped and walked for a few years because I said nothing. So essentially I already have put others at risk in my own neighborhood at the time. Even now it doesn't feel good when I think about it.

:tup:

:tup:

Just like you're not supposed to pull the cord when there's a sick passenger, pulling the cord here was wrong. It's amazing how some of you are unable to deal with an opinion that is different from your own.

Just like you're not supposed to pull the cord when there's a sick passenger, pulling the cord here was wrong. It's amazing how some of you are unable to deal with an opinion that is different from your own.

With this incident, I don't care what the brake is needed for, they should lock all of them up because there will be people that don't think before they pull it.

It's like a knee-jerk reaction to pull the cord. "Oh good job, you stopped the train with a killer on board and no way to get off because the storm doors are locked".:tdown:

And with the cord pulled, the only way to move again is by having one of the train crew reset it and since I'm not a a cop, you could not pay me to go into that car and do it I don't care what out of control center says to me. I am just glad that it worked out that no one else was hurt and the perp was cought, but it could have been so much worse.

the cord must've been pulled directly outside of the t/o position since the t/o didn't have to exit his cab to reset it. they are all very lucky - the passengers and crew alike. judging the guy for pulling the cord is ridiculous. yeah, it wasn't the best decision but in a situation like that all rationale goes out the window. be reasonable people.

Ah ok no problem, I just thought it was since you quoted me. No harm, no foul. I am still suprised the guy did not shank anyone else. I think that had it been me that stabbed they guy over a seat, if I saw there might be no way out I would go down fighting. Everyone in that car should have gone out an bought a lotto ticket.

Imagine.....if you were in that car, and your banggin on the crew door, and there's no response, whats the best way to get the crews attention????? chances are, the T/O would not have known whats going on till the next stop, then called the cops, with the murderer getting away! that resi=ults in a longer response time.

and think of the victims family. if someone had a chance to in some way try to get some kinda word out to get help and they didnt, that family would feel more worse than they already are dealing with the loss of a loved one. Atleast someone did something!!

Archived