New guy with some questions

jmazz77

Hi all. I just got on yesterday with mabstoa as a Bus Operator. I start the training Dec. 7th. Just wondering what to expect during the training.. I got my Class B permit. I've never driven a bus before, but I have driven box trucks up to 24ft. Never had an issue. I know its not the same as a bus though..

Anyway, just looking for some tips/pointers, what not to do, etc.. lol I just wanna make sure I get through the training and get the job.

Thanks in advance.

in the FAQ sticky, it lists by day 7 you take your road test.. the interviewer told me by the end of the 2nd week, they would let us know if we would continue with the training, or be asked to resign.. (assuming if u cant handle the bus)... Has it changed since the sticky was posted?

in the FAQ sticky, it lists by day 7 you take your road test.. the interviewer told me by the end of the 2nd week, they would let us know if we would continue with the training, or be asked to resign.. (assuming if u cant handle the bus)... Has it changed since the sticky was posted?

Read post #6. Good luck.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11295

which depot are you in?

Line training starts after you qualify, correct??

What is "OA"? Sorry, I'm still not caught up on the lingo.. lol

Also, I was wondering, is it possible to transfer out of Mabstoa after a period of time? Just to get into a Brooklyn or staten island depot.. only reason I ask..

I plan on moving back to SI in a year or two and the commute would suck if I had to go to the brons everyday.. but If I had no choice, then I would deal with.. Just asking...

Thanks again. So glad I found this site. :cool:

Another question.. sorry... Is there a nyc residency requirement for BO?? I dont remember seeing anything about it, but I know for certain civil service jobs there is...

thanks again

OA or MABSTOA= The Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority which is a non civil service entity of the MTA which operates all the buses in the bronx and Manhattan.

TA or NYCTA= The New York City Transit Authority Which is a civil service entity which operates all the subway lines in the city. It also operates Most of the bus lines in queens, and all of the lines in brooklyn and staten island.

I hope that helps you along for now. But don't worry you'll pick up on all the (MTA) jargon as you go along. And also there is no residency requirement for any (MTA) position as it is not a city agency, but yet a quasi city/state agency.

which depot are you in?

ULMER PARK BROOKLYN

Line training starts after you qualify, correct??

YES

What is "OA"? Sorry, I'm still not caught up on the lingo.. lol

ANSWERED ALREADY

Also, I was wondering, is it possible to transfer out of Mabstoa after a period of time? Just to get into a Brooklyn or staten island depot.. only reason I ask..

I plan on moving back to SI in a year or two and the commute would suck if I had to go to the brons everyday.. but If I had no choice, then I would deal with.. Just asking...

YES, YOU WILL JUST HAVE TO SIT TIGHT FOR A DAY OR A YEAR AFTER YOU FILL OUT PAPERS FOR TRANSFER

Thanks again. So glad I found this site.

WELCOME

:cool:

QQQ

Made it past day 1.. lol The paperwork fiasco.. I am assigned to West Farms for the next 7 days. Our training instructor will be Supt. Vazquez. Wish me luck.

Worst part is I have been sick since last thursday and it still hasnt broken. Should be interesting.

Made it past day 1.. lol The paperwork fiasco.. I am assigned to West Farms for the next 7 days. Our training instructor will be Supt. Vazquez. Wish me luck.

Worst part is I have been sick since last thursday and it still hasnt broken. Should be interesting.

How many pens did you go through? lol. What is your report time for the next few days at West Farms? Hope you feel better soon, thanks for the update and of course good luck jmazz!

I'm at West Farms from 6am - 2pm.. Not a bad schedule.. Didnt do so good today.. (Day 2 driving).. Need to work on my "forward planning", right side clearance, and I messed up a tight turn that I was suppose to hook..It was @ 132nd st & Cypress ( in the bronx).. I believe it was turning onto the service road.. Hooked it too wide and too late and got my nose too "dirty".. lol Instructor had to back up the bus..

I feel that I can handle the bus, but when the instructor is constantly talking, it distracts me.. I understand he's doing his job, and critiquing everything. which is fine.. I just need to find a way to not lose concentration and focus while he is talking to me while driving..

Tomorrow I believe we are suppose to hit manhattan. Hopefully I will do better.

Archived