1974 Erie Lackawanna Railway Co. Map

Harry

Here's a hi-res scan of the 1974 Erie Lackawanna Railway Company map. A lot of interesting things can been seen on this map.

New Jerey Transit's Hoboken Division, including the Main & Bergen County Lines :mb:, Pascack Valley Line :pvl:, Morristown Line :me:, Gladstone Branch and Montclair-Boonton Line :mbl:, comprises former Erie Lackawanna lines.

Metro-North's Port Jervis Line is the former main line between Suffern and Port Jervis.

1974_Erie_Lackawanna_Map.jpg

This one's for Andy! :cool:

Wow!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Thank you (H)!!!

You know, there were higher ups in DL&W that wanted to go with another 'road for a more direct connection to chicago, avoiding the curve below lake michigan, but the other 'road was in much worse financial trouble.

It's amazing to walk in jersey city where they had terminals, nothing but condos, malls, shops, and office towers anymore. The last remnants are very vulnerable to "improvement", i just hope they preserve what's left, because without these rail lines there would be no hoboken, or jersey city, or bayonne, and indeed no new york city.

- A

I am a true foamer when it comes to this kinda stuff, i just called the numbers on there out of pure curiosity thinking they would be disconnected, and they are still in service, all be it with new owners. Left a cheerful "hey you have this somewhat famous railroad's old number, no not a prank call, happy thanksgiving" kinda message. :P :cool: :P

/foam

When this map was printed, man had only walked on the moon 5 years prior, and the vietnam war was still a year from "ending", and i was 6 years away from being born.

- A

Nice find!

DL&W never went to Chicago, they went as far as Buffalo with Nickle Plate handling through sleepers for Chicago and freight was interchanged as well along with the NYC in Buffalo. Erie however did go all the way to Chicago however their route was known for being a poor passenger route as they missed many key cities. However it was excellent for fast freight.

When this map was published, the former Direct Line had a different look in those pre HBLR days. Pavonia Avenue (PATH) still had the old look as did the area upstairs around the station.

I only wish i could go back to those times.

- A

• 1 month later...

I've been reading up on the Lackawanna Cutoff, a marvel of construction for its day. The descriptions were written some time ago but at the time they claim that NJ Transit was considering re-opening the line. Does anyone know what ever happened to that plan?

:me:

Archived