R44/46 doors...

dmouse

Even though this definetly won't happen,

it just a curious question.

Has anyone noticed how the R44 & R46 doors are almost exactly the same as the ones on the R143 & R160?

Are the doors on the older cars compatible to the NTTs?

I wouldn't believe so. The door motors and locking mechanisms are way different.

You could even tell by just listening to it. With the R160 doors, you can even hear the doors locking, while the R44 & 46, it doesn't make that sound.

^ Keyword- ALMOST,

and besides 5 minutes after i made this thread, I remebered the R160s use different door motors, and the only logical way to reuse the doors is through re manufacruring them. They can be recycled.

yeah, and the ntt car doors don't glitch like the R44's where when open, one panel slides back and forth like 3-4 inches.

Yeah Ive seen that! One morning a commuter pushed the door in because it kept rocking.. Back n 4th.

yeah, and the ntt car doors don't glitch like the R44's where when open, one panel slides back and forth like 3-4 inches.

That's a harmless door motor defect that occurs when the train is on a grade. The door always slides "downhill" and then the motor pulls it back after a couple inches, and this repeats itself. Unique to the R44/R46.

That's a harmless door motor defect that occurs when the train is on a grade. The door always slides "downhill" and then the motor pulls it back after a couple inches, and this repeats itself. Unique to the R44/R46.

You mean we should not panic when we see this and run around saying were all gunna die?

Doesn't this also happen on other car classes though? I've seen it on the R62As on the (7) at 5th Ave. going N/B too.

Here's another tidbit about the R44/46 doors nobody really noticed...

At the terminals when the crew opens that single door per car it makes the closing chime after it opens. Also, while the 1 door is opened if you try to pull that door closed and when it goes back open, it makes the closing chime as well

Archived