27-Year-Old Man Struck, Killed by LIRR Train in Brentwood

CPBO

BRENTWOOD, N.Y. (AP/ 1010 WINS) -- The Long Island Rail Road says a 27-year-old man was struck and killed by a train in Brentwood.

A LIRR spokeswoman says the 5:41 p.m. train out of Penn Station struck the man at the Brentwood Road gate crossing at 6:40 p.m. Tuesday. She says the gates were down and flashing.

She did not know why the man was on the tracks. His name was not immediately released.

Passengers on the Ronkonkoma branch experience delays of up to an hour.

They need cameras at these grade crossings so dispatchers can alert engineers to any issues.

- A

That wouldn't help because either one they wouldn't be able to react fast enough, or all trains crossing walks will have to proceed at extreme caution because someone is near the tracks...which happens ALL the time.

Cameras would help but the response time is a factor.This is an unfortunate thing that will always happen when you have a rail road and grade crossings in a area common sense dictates when you need to cross a grade crossing and the arms are down and you hear the warning alarms,one has to wait.Unfortunately these things happen when you have some body that doesn't have common sense or a mentally ill person that doesn't know where they are.I feel for the poor victim and this should be a wake up call,like many accidents and deaths before,that something more has to be done for these dangerous grade crossings god only knows how many nuts are actually walking out there :P

I agree,experiencing something like that is very hard to deal with

absolutely! when I had a 12-9 the guy (old man) died in front of me, and a passenger on the train was making jokes...I was going to break his face open until the cops calmed me down. It's definitely not a good thing to be involved with. ;)

Yea i know reaction time would be a factor, but giving the engineer authority to slow at the crossing enough to stop, say 25 mph if they detect unusual/suspicious behavior serious enough to cause alarm would save people. I've always wanted there to be grade crossing monitoring, it's the right thing to do and one less thing highway/automobile advocates can use in their shortsighted arguments against rail transportation.

- A

Yea i know reaction time would be a factor, but giving the engineer authority to slow at the crossing enough to stop, say 25 mph if they detect unusual/suspicious behavior serious enough to cause alarm would save people. I've always wanted there to be grade crossing monitoring, it's the right thing to do and one less thing highway/automobile advocates can use in their shortsighted arguments against rail transportation.

- A

How about people just stop crossing the tracks when the gates are down/lights are flashing? I didn't want to have to bring this up, but this is evolution in progress. The only unfortunate part of it is that these engrs. have to witness it.

Archived