Trenton engine yard.

metsfan

Amtrak brush clearing crews have finally revealed the remnants of the locomotive yard at trenton. The old shop building is gone, but its foundations are still clearly visible. Would be neat if they used this for some rail operations purpose.

PB182227.jpg

PB182228.jpg

PB182229.jpg

PB182230.jpg

PB182231.jpg

PB182232.jpg

PB182233.jpg

PB182234.jpg

PB182235.jpg

PB182236.jpg

- A

No this was just use of Stimulus money to clear out stuff along side the NEC. NJT is going to be expanding Morrisville Yard so the only hope that ever gets used is if SEPTA wanted to but I don't see that happening.

I would have like to have seen NJT and SEPTA build a facility there but there was more room in Morrisville so that won out.

No this was just use of Stimulus money to clear out stuff along side the NEC. NJT is going to be expanding Morrisville Yard so the only hope that ever gets used is if SEPTA wanted to but I don't see that happening.

I would have like to have seen NJT and SEPTA build a facility there but there was more room in Morrisville so that won out.

Yeah Morrisville is just a tad bit smaller then MMC. And they are making it bigger? God Damn! That's a huge yard!

Took them probably a week max for this area, maybe 2 for removal of the big stuff's remnants in wood chippers. If you look at photos from before conrail & amtrak, you can see there really is no plant growth, this is mainly due to fire hazard and slippery rail prevention reasons.

The yard was considered, but it really was just a PRR steam, then electric and diesel locomotive service repair and storage yard. This is an ideal location for such operations, leaving the their yards along the main lines to deal with coaches diners, and freight cars etc while not being too far away from either endpoint (philly/newark). Also smart, because if motive power on a revenue move has trouble, you could easily send replacement from here to save time. So yea, it wasn't big enough to be a working endpoint yard, but i do hope that it is refurbished and utilized as a rail operations asset, even if it is just to store work/MOW stuff.

- A

Oh & expansion of morrisville yard could lead to a yard about half the size of sunnyside, since they have that outer running track as a boundary. The 3 tail tracks that lead into the area which could be expanded into looks as if it had been electrified at one point, which is a good sign for soil & geological conditions for the cat towers. After full expansion the yard would be 850 feet wide and about half a mile long, able to store approximately 40 trains. I believe sunnyside can hold 80-90, but i'm not sure. With the number of locomotives, MLV's etc, that capacity is needed, especially to take the strain off of NYP and sunnyside, which rely heavily on the southern pair of east river tubes to run trains to/from sunnyside properly.

- A

Archived