What is the slowest subway route?

Kingsbridge Bus

I think the (2) is the slowest route (except for the section between Chambers and 96 Streets during the day). It is slow in Brooklyn and lower Manhattan and has a long way to go from 96 Street up to 241 Street.
If passengers on the WPR line would've welcomed the 2 Express in the past, then it wouldn't be so slow. It should run Express from 241 to 180, and let the 5 do the rest, but its not likely to happen anyways :tdown:

Throughout this thread, the conversation is being confused. Some are taking "slow" as long waits and others are taking "slow" as to how how slow the ride is.

Thank you, people need to make up their minds. Is it travel time or wait time fora a train?

My overall opinion on the subject is a collaboration of ride duration as well as the wait before you actually get the train. In my honest opinion, the wait for the train makes just as much of an experience on any of the lines as the time it takes to get to your destination. So why is it we have to choose between the two? Why not have both. The train could come really quickly then be slow going, or you could wait a little while but upon getting your train the ride goes quickly.

My overall opinion on the subject is a collaboration of ride duration as well as the wait before you actually get the train. In my honest opinion, the wait for the train makes just as much of an experience on any of the lines as the time it takes to get to your destination. So why is it we have to choose between the two? Why not have both. The train could come really quickly then be slow going, or you could wait a little while but upon getting your train the ride goes quickly.
Well put.:tup:Now we all know what this thread is really about.;)

You would think the (D) would be very quick, but it seems to get stuck behind the (N) around Gold St and behind the (A) CPW. I used to take the (D) from 47-50 Sts to 36/4 during the PM rush hrs and sometimes two (B)s would come while waiting for the (D). I've heard the peak-exp in the Bronx also isn't so fast either.

You would think the (D) would be very quick, but it seems to get stuck behind the (N) around Gold St

I actually find my (N) trains stuck behind the (D) all the time. All trains approaching 36 Street slow to a crawl often eliminating much of the benefits of running express. Local train heading down commonly catch up at 36 Street and 59 Street, and also for local trains heading up at 36 Street.

If passengers on the WPR line would've welcomed the 2 Express in the past, then it wouldn't be so slow. It should run Express from 241 to 180, and let the 5 do the rest, but its not likely to happen anyways :tdown:

I don't believe there's a need for an express from 180th to 241st, but I do agree that the 2 would be slightly better if it ran express. At least then the 5 wouldn't have to hold up the 2 to switch from the outer tracks to run express.

definitely the (R) train is the slowest route on the ind specially on the weekends

Again, is it slow as in there is not enough service to suit you or do the trains go slow in between stations?

The R is slow operating between DeKalb and Canal, other than that, perhaps between 57 and Fifth, the t/o can "wrap it around" between most other stations.

Again, is it slow as in there is not enough service to suit you or do the trains go slow in between stations?

The R is slow operating between DeKalb and Canal, other than that, perhaps between 57 and Fifth, the t/o can "wrap it around" between most other stations.

on the weekends the (R) just dont have enough train sets u should see the crowds of people waiting at local stations between continental and roosevelt for the (R) and in general the (R) gets treated shabby every train it runs with gets preference over the (R) i have been at 57 and 7 ave on the (R) and the train just waits for 5-10 minutes dont mind the downtown run between city hall and whitehall i just think its probably unrealistic that the (R) should have a stretch on it where it is express the route is too long to be all local

on the weekends the (R) just dont have enough train sets u should see the crowds of people waiting at local stations between continental and roosevelt for the (R) and in general the (R) gets treated shabby every train it runs with gets preference over the (R) i have been at 57 and 7 ave on the (R) and the train just waits for 5-10 minutes dont mind the downtown run between city hall and whitehall i just think its probably unrealistic that the (R) should have a stretch on it where it is express the route is too long to be all local

Weekends the R has plenty of trainsets, the midday headway is 8 minutes vs. 10 minutes middays M-F. Check the MTA webiste. The problem is the V doesn't run weekends, and the G is supposed to come out there weekends but doesn't due to their GO's. Quite often E/F run local due the their GO's so there is additional service for you!

So on paper, there is enough service but because of weekends GO's they seldom run it. I expect the 8 minute headway in December for the shopping crush along with OPTO G's.

i agree the (G) is supposed to help the (R) on weekends but due to unexplained gos u never see the (G) until late nights on weekends i think they should just make the (E) local on weekends to help the (R) no slight to the (E) but it has a much shorter route than the (F) and u can keep the (F) as the queens blvd express

I would have to say the (F) outside of the rush hour is EXTREMELY Inconsistant...I've waited at W4 for a downtown (F) and watched as 8 (:)(D)'s go by and 2 (V)'s and this is after 6pm and when the (F) does show up it is crushed, and this happens atleast 3 out of 5 week nights...The other 2 nights the (F) is pulling up empty as it must've been bunched with one pulling out right ahead of it.

The (2) in the BX is SOOOOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOWWWWW speed-wise, it takes forever to get from 241st or Neried down to 149th...I can't wait until they put the WPR <5> express back on, I loved that train, I would pass atleast 5 (2)-(5) down to 3rd avenue...It's so slow with the (2) I just started taking the BXM11 into the city, it takes about the same amount of time to get me to 42 St as long as we're not stuck behind a BX local bus.

I would have to say the (F) outside of the rush hour is EXTREMELY Inconsistant...I've waited at W4 for a downtown (F) and watched as 8 (:)(D)'s go by and 2 (V)'s and this is after 6pm and when the (F) does show up it is crushed, and this happens atleast 3 out of 5 week nights...The other 2 nights the (F) is pulling up empty as it must've been bunched with one pulling out right ahead of it.

The (2) in the BX is SOOOOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOWWWWW speed-wise, it takes forever to get from 241st or Neried down to 149th...I can't wait until they put the WPR <5> express back on, I loved that train, I would pass atleast 5 (2)-(5) down to 3rd avenue...It's so slow with the (2) I just started taking the BXM11 into the city, it takes about the same amount of time to get me to 42 St as long as we're not stuck behind a BX local bus.

the (F) is inconsistent and this is caused by all the traffic that runs on the same track (V),(G) or (E) or waiting for connections ive been on (F) trains that get to jay street and wait 5 minutes for an (A) or (C) to arrive

The (1) is in fact pretty slow, contrary to what Urbanfortitude says. I once remember planning to go to a Circuit City location in the Upper West Side (don't remember the street, but was high 80s/low 90s) and after what seemed like an eternity, realized I was only at 42nd St, so I got off and took the (A) train home. I am sure it took me over 20 minutes (I don't know why) to get there from Christopher St. Maybe there was some particular circumstance that day, or maybe the uptown (1) is a real slow mover.

Speaking of which, the (A) is actually a slow train. I know many will disagree with me, but I find it the slowness of the (A) a major problem. The 3.5 mile non-stop ride between Broad Channel and Howard Beach takes 7-7.5 minutes, at a speed slower than 30 mph. This is using R44 cars that still hold the world record for the fastest subway car speeds (89 mph in testing) and was supposed to be run at 77 mph on the Second Avenue Subway. Even though it has to negotiate the North Channel Bridge, the ride in the Rockaway flats can be described as gentle at best. Someone pointed out on these forums a few days ago that the R44s hardly ever manage to break 40 mph during its express runs (either Fulton St or CPW). The old equipment on the (A) is really taking its toll and preventing the riders from getting the full benefits of an express run.

The topology of the elevated track, from the approach at Rockaway Blvd to the tunnel entrance at Grant Avenue, also make for very slow operation of the (A). Basically, the local run in Queens is bane of all riders. It takes 30 minutes to get to Broadway Junction during rush hours from Beach 67th St, where a faster "express" run from Broad Channel to Howard Beach and a better track layout would save 8-10 minutes easily.

I have actually been on (E) trains that beat (A) trains to Canal St in the short run from West 4th St, when the two come in together at W4 and even though the (E) has to make a stop at Spring St. Uptown (A) trains during morning rush hours are even worse, and often barely break 10-12 mph in Manhattan until they get to 14th St.

Along with horrendous headways (from the Rockaways) of over 20 minutes in the late morning and afternoon hours, the (A) really deserves the mantle of the "slowest train", especially according to Urbanfortitude's definition.

The TA really belives in PATH or Put Another Timer Here. The system has been slowed down alot, especialy after 1995. The sad thing is though, timers are a neccicary evil and even then, there are places where operators go too fast for the area.

...Speaking of which, the (A) is actually a slow train. I know many will disagree with me, but I find it the slowness of the (A) a major problem. The 3.5 mile non-stop ride between Broad Channel and Howard Beach takes 7-7.5 minutes, at a speed slower than 30 mph...

I wouldn't say its that slow. I've been out there a lot and was able to look at the speedometers (I knew some t/o's) and the most, if not all cars (R32's, R44's & R46's) all seem to go about 42-44 mph. (Even seen a few hit 50)

...Someone pointed out on these forums a few days ago that the R44s hardly ever manage to break 40 mph during its express runs (either Fulton St or CPW). The old equipment on the (A) is really taking its toll and preventing the riders from getting the full benefits of an express run.

I take that train almost every day and they do actually hit 40. At the SB express platform at Nostrand it actually tells t/o's to brake early when getting into Utica. That stretch sees trains breaking 40.

...Basically, the local run in Queens is bane of all riders. It takes 30 minutes to get to Broadway Junction during rush hours from Beach 67th St, where a faster "express" run from Broad Channel to Howard Beach and a better track layout would save 8-10 minutes easily.

That one can be explained easily. The headway for the (A) is the Lefferts BL & Far Rockaway trains combined. When they split up, they have their own individual headways and the time is doubled compared to the Manhattan & Brooklyn headways.

I wouldn't say its that slow. I've been out there a lot and was able to look at the speedometers (I knew some t/o's) and the most, if not all cars (R32's, R44's & R46's) all seem to go about 42-44 mph. (Even seen a few hit 50)

Maybe, but the fact remains that the average speed for most "open" sections such as that between Broad Channel and Howard Beach never exceed 30. They might hit 45, but only for brief periods.

That one can be explained easily. The headway for the (A) is the Lefferts BL & Far Rockaway trains combined. When they split up, they have their own individual headways and the time is doubled compared to the Manhattan & Brooklyn headways.

When I said 30 minutes, I meant 30 minutes on the train. No issue of headway here since I only started counting after I got on the train, not after I reached the platform.

The (2) in the BX is SOOOOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOWWWWW speed-wise, it takes forever to get from 241st or Neried down to 149th...I can't wait until they put the WPR <5> express back on, I loved that train, I would pass at least 5 (2)-(5) down to 3rd avenue...
I agree, if it operated express between 241 st to 180 st, and operate local while the 5 operates express to 149 st.

• 1 month later...

Archived