Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
kentuckytony

Working Time Tables

Hi, all. I am new to the forum, so I hope I am posting properly.

I could not find anything similar when I did a search, but if someone can point me to another thread or threads, please do.

Here is what I am looking for:

The London Underground (subway) publishes public timetables for their various lines. They are pretty general. Similar to the ones posted as schedules on the MTA official site.

Also, though, they publish what are called "Working Time Tables" (WTTs) for each line. These are not public but are for employees. Usually published in the form of a book. The most current ones are not generally distributed, but old, out-of-date ones end up being sold at book shops, yard sales, etc. for historic purposes.

Different from the public schedules, they contain train workings to and from yards, non-passenger runs, staff runs, train ID numbers, as well as all the full passenger service runs. Plus info about yards and other staff-needed info.

I have a good friend in England who was kind enough to send me some old ones for the LU of various dates 60's through '90s.

He was wondering if something like that was available for the BMT and IRT (and I guess the IND) lines.

I haven't found anything on the web no matter how I searched.

So, my questions:

1. Are such WTTs available for the MTA subways?
  2. If so, are they available to be seen on the web?
  3. Or - as hardcopy books?
  4. If so, where would one be able to purchase them?

Old, out-of-date ones are more than fine.

I would love to be able to send something back to my friend in England - or at least tell him definitely that no such schedules are available.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi, all. I am new to the forum, so I hope I am posting properly.

I could not find anything similar when I did a search, but if someone can point me to another thread or threads, please do.

Here is what I am looking for:

The London Underground (subway) publishes public timetables for their various lines. They are pretty general. Similar to the ones posted as schedules on the MTA official site.

Also, though, they publish what are called "Working Time Tables" (WTTs) for each line. These are not public but are for employees. Usually published in the form of a book. The most current ones are not generally distributed, but old, out-of-date ones end up being sold at book shops, yard sales, etc. for historic purposes.

Different from the public schedules, they contain train workings to and from yards, non-passenger runs, staff runs, train ID numbers, as well as all the full passenger service runs. Plus info about yards and other staff-needed info.

I have a good friend in England who was kind enough to send me some old ones for the LU of various dates 60's through '90s.

He was wondering if something like that was available for the BMT and IRT (and I guess the IND) lines.

I haven't found anything on the web no matter how I searched.

So, my questions:

1. Are such WTTs available for the MTA subways?

2. If so, are they available to be seen on the web?

3. Or - as hardcopy books?

4. If so, where would one be able to purchase them?

Old, out-of-date ones are more than fine.

I would love to be able to send something back to my friend in England - or at least tell him definitely that no such schedules are available.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

1.Negative..

2.Negative..

3.Negative...

4.Negative...

Wow! That was concise and decisive!

Followup questions:

1. Without a working time table, how is the system regulated? Is eveything based on the public schedules?
  2. When a train driver (operator? motorperson?) shows up for work, how do they know what their runs will be for the shift?
  3. Do these folks work out of a particular yard all the time?
  4. Are the runs they get based on bidding via union seniority?

Wow! That was concise and decisive!

Followup questions:

1. Without a working time table, how is the system regulated? Is eveything based on the public schedules?

2. When a train driver (operator? motorperson?) shows up for work, how do they know what their runs will be for the shift?

3. Do these folks work out of a particular yard all the time?

4. Are the runs they get based on bidding via union seniority?

There are working schedules but they were just trying saying in a non-subtle way that they aren't available for the public. It's for MTA employees usage only.

Thanks Julio.

I kinda figured that, as the London Underground is the same way for security reasons, etc. But that is only for recent ones.

I was looking for just example ones from, say, the distant past - 1930s to the 1970s or similar. Are those also verboten?

Perhaps they haven't changed enough to not be still be under some security ban...

Over in London, folks even try to get the recent ones using the "Freedom of Information Act". They usually get the run-around. And I understand that completely.

But the real old ones are even available from used book dealers.

If you tell me to just clamp it off on this subject I will. As Doug Heffernin would say, "Shuttie!"