Animated Luminator Bus Signs

While I was looking at bus photos, namely mine, Cait Sith's, KnightRider's, and the person who took a picture of the B3K shuttle, I decided to make some bus signs. I'm a big Luminator fan, especially the flipdots and Horizon typefaces and layouts, so I went ahead and made Luminator-esque signs.

So far, I've made three flipdots. Two are fantasy, and one is close to the original.

A fantasy M1 sign. It needs fixing.

MTA-signs-M1-to-East-Village.gif

MTA-signs-M1-to-East-Village.gif

The Q113 Sign.
Q113-Downtown-Slipdot-Sign-1A.gif

A fantasy X90 Sign. (Prior to 1996, it used to go to East Harlem.)
X90-Fantast-East-Harlem-Flipdot-Sig.gif

Like them? I appreciate some comments. ^^

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
they look great :D

Do you draw out all those dots yourself or is there a font?

Thanks for the compliment. :D

How I did it? I designed them by using Adobe Illustrator and used photos that I and others took as reference. After I completed the signs, I transfer them to Photoshop to make them animated. This guide I made here really helps me. (I've since revised it.)

EDIT: *headdesk* Didn't realize how many people replied before I did. Thanks, everyone!

Edited by RTS CNG Command
Must thank everyone here.

i wonder if its possible to get em made into a font but I dont know how to do it
I'd love to make a TTF file myself, but I don't know how, too, unfortunately.

Those are hot lol, I'd love to see one with "Flushing - Main St Station"

B)

*chuckle* Maybe sooner or later, I'll cook up one. ;) Thanks for the comment.

Holycrapamazing.
Awww, thanks.

Truly awesome. :cool:

It would look nice with orange though :(

Thanks. And I know exactly what you're talking about regarding the orange circles. The side LEDs on many of the Orion VIIs and NGs. They look cool, too. Maybe sooner or later, I'll make some and put them up.

omg i luv these signs man. how long did it take for you to create these?
Thanks. These signs do take a while, about an hour to 90 minutes, depending on my research and handling of the signs to start.

Thanks for the replies. Now I'm going down memory lane and presenting a BM3 sign similar to the ones from the old Command Bus Company's RTS CNGs and Orion V CNGs.

Here it is!

BM3-Brooklyn-Command-Sign.gif

Earlier this afternoon, I decided to go down memory lane again and create two new signs similar to the ones the former private bus compaies used before being merged to the MTA.

One of the signs is close to the original and is based off some photos I looked from BusChat. The other is based off memory and is a fantasy version.

Here's the Q60 Manhattan-bound flipdot.

Q60-Manhattan-Bound-Flipdot.gif

And here's the fantasy sign: a BM5 Starrett City-bound flipdot. (Prior to the MTA takeover and until mid-2007, it was the BQM1.)

BM5-Fantasy-Brooklyn-Flipdot-Sign.gif

What do you think? I appreciate some comments. :P

(N)ow this is what makes this (F)orum so unique,(W)hen you see hard work being put in .(T)hanks for the (E)xclusive:tup:
Aw, thanks, KR. This is one reason why I regularly go to this forum. Because there are so many colorful and creative people around here in case I want to take a break from talking about buses or trains. ^^

Very awesome! It would be amazing if you can add the smooth scrolling transistion to the frames. (It's hard like Cait Sith said but its possible)
Thanks, I'm glad you like it. Due to time restrictions (College projects and exams) and lack of knowledge on programming the Adobe software, I can't do smooth translations now. But sooner or later, when I have way more time, I'll definitely give it a shot. :P

For the Q60 sign, I would think that the font sizes would be a little thinner in font size

Photos taken by TTMG Member, Gary Chatterton & Christopher Jordan

MTAB_Orion_107.jpg

MTAB_Orion_123.jpg

That is true, and I'm glad you brought this up. When the MTA acquired Green Lines, they reconfigured the signs to their format. However, Green Lines's signs are a little similar to many of the ex-Private Lines. Unlike the sixteen-pixel numbers and letters, the biggest the characters can get is fifteen. Also, the fifteen-pixel font is a little narrower than the sixteen-pixel ones, so they can fit more thicker characters. (From what I know, none of the ex-PBLs use thin type on their Luminators; whenever more info had to fit, the ex-PBLs either skipped a line or made the designated route number smaller.)

Another key clue: the MTA does not use ampersands -- this character: & -- while many of the ex-PBLs did.

Here are the photos that helped me make my Q60 sign (from BusTalk, not BusChat):

http://gallery.bustalk.info/displayimage.php?album=183&pos=129

http://gallery.bustalk.info/displayimage.php?album=183&pos=127

I have a request if you dont mind. I'd like to use it as a signature. Can you do one with the x17J? I can provide some shots but they would be with the Luminator Horizon LEDs (the orange ones on the MCIs.)
By all means. I'd LOVE to do one. Have some shots for me to use as reference?

*goes to set up Luminator Horizon template on Illustrator*

By all means. I'd LOVE to do one. Have some shots for me to use as reference?

*goes to set up Luminator Horizon template on Illustrator*

Here's what I have of the x17J

NYCB_MCI_2210.jpg

DSC01330.jpg

DSC01332.jpg

I would put bigger shots but the ones with the better screen size have the bus but with too much glare around the LED.

And a video if this works too lol

Well, as requested, Cait, here's the X17J sign!

X17J-Fantasy-SI-Bound-LED-Sign-1.gif

I hope you don't mind that I "fixed" the sign a tad (I made "New Jersey" one pixel bigger. :))

RTS Command CNG, I love the bus sign.

Can you do for few buses?

S89 bus.

14-12.JPG?et=FM%2BKXAo8bHbPnqVkygN0bA&nmid=57510374

I-Bus

15-13.JPG?et=IcIpkkxH4WUwzGczpGAjLg&nmid=56172830

Rockland Coach #11C

02-1A.JPG?et=t7hKKDceE0yL0xkTl03FEQ&nmid=54573664

Thanks, Yuki! Glad you like 'em.

As for the other three, well, I think so. I can definitely make the S89 one, though. :P

Well, as requested, Cait, here's the X17J sign!

X17J-Fantasy-SI-Bound-LED-Sign-1.gif

I hope you don't mind that I "fixed" the sign a tad (I made "New Jersey" one pixel bigger. :))

Thanks, Yuki! Glad you like 'em.

As for the other three, well, I think so. I can definitely make the S89 one, though. :P

Thank you so much! That is Awesome!