Animated Luminator Bus Signs

Amazing sign! :tup:

Btw, was the Bedford Park to West Farms branch via Tremont & Jerome or what?

Thanks. :tup:

The Bedford Park branch (all the way to Bainbridge Av) is the Bx10 today. The Bx28 looped around the Mosholu Pkwy area (first Jerome Av, 205 St, [last stop] Goulden Av, Sedgwick Av/Mosholu Pkwy, and then back to Jerome Av), and traveled to Gun Hill Rd all the way down to White Plains Rd. From there, it went to West Farms Sq via White Plains Rd and then Morris Pk and Tremont Av (Bx21). As for the Burnside Av branch, it followed the Bx40.

I hope this helps.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello again! First off, nice work, IRT! REALLY like the sign. :tup:

I'm still making my signs. I've completed the template for the Q104, 46th Street-bound. These new signs are going to be in PBL form, so they're going to look a little bit different. Some differences are:

1. Characters only go to fifteen lines high, so some will be a bit thinner than they would at sixteen dots high.

2. NONE of the signs resort to thinner typography. If there's no room, then the ex-PBL (mostly Queens Surface Transit) resort to one of two things:

a. Continue on to the next frame

b. Make the route number smaller. Some will be only eleven characters high, and the Q104's number to Sunnyside only went nine pixels high. (The Q104 evidence was seen on TTMG, but the pics were taken down during the site's restoration progress, unfortunately. ;))

Also, I'm seriously considering creating a template for the bold, condensed fonts. For anyone confused, here's an example from Richard Aaron of TTMG (look at the bottom line in the frame):

MTAB_Orion_127.jpg

These condensed letterforms are typically found on the ex-Bee-Line Orions, some side Horizon LEDs on routes like the Q35, N27, and (possibly) N22A, and some private companies like Academy. (Academy also has ten pixel-high condensed fonts, but I only found a small amount. Any help with this is appreciated.)

You notice that bold seven pixel-high fonts normally a little wider. Here's a list of how wide they normally are:

1. A, B, C, D, G, H, K, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, X, Y, Z: six pixels wide

2. E, F, J, L: five pixels wide

3. I: four pixels wide

4. M, N, V, W: seven pixels wide

The condensed versions of these characters:

1. N, Q, X, Y, Z: six pixels wide (Q, X, Y, Z are the same)

2. A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, J, K, L, P, R, S, U, V: five pixels wide (E, F, J, L are the same)

3. M, N, W: seven pixels wide (none change)

4. I, T: four characters wide

The numbers are like this normally:

a) 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0: six characters wide.

:o 1: four characters wide.

c) 5: five characters wide.

In their condensed version, the numbers are like this:

a) 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 0: five characters wide.

B) 1: four characters wide

c: 7: unknown (possibly five)

These templates will be developed, and I may plan on creating fantasy condensed versions for other sizes. ^^

I'm still making my signs. I've completed the template for the Q104, 46th Street-bound. These new signs are going to be in PBL form, so they're going to look a little bit different. Some differences are:

1. Characters only go to fifteen lines high, so some will be a bit thinner than they would at sixteen dots high.

2. NONE of the signs resort to thinner typography. If there's no room, then the ex-PBL (mostly Queens Surface Transit) resort to one of two things:

a. Continue on to the next frame

b. Make the route number smaller. Some will be only eleven characters high, and the Q104's number to Sunnyside only went nine pixels high. (The Q104 evidence was seen on TTMG, but the pics were taken down during the site's restoration progress, unfortunately. :o)

Also, I'm seriously considering creating a template for the bold, condensed fonts. For anyone confused, here's an example from Richard Aaron of TTMG (look at the bottom line in the frame):

These condensed letterforms are typically found on the ex-Bee-Line Orions, some side Horizon LEDs on routes like the Q35, N27, and (possibly) N22A, and some private companies like Academy. (Academy also has ten pixel-high condensed fonts, but I only found a small amount. Any help with this is appreciated.)

These templates will be developed, and I may plan on creating fantasy condensed versions for other sizes. ^^

DSC07735.jpg

:cool: Amazing...You are really going all out with creating these templates...If you need any help with figuring out the characters on these signs let us bus fanners know ;)

Edited by R44 CNG
Added pic

DSC07735.jpg
Nice shot. :tup:

:cool: Amazing...You are really going all out with creating these templates...If you need any help with figuring out the characters on these signs let us bus fanners know ;)
Thanks. If anyone can capture the side frames of an 1800-series (the signs next to the door on the left) for some routes like the N22A (hopefully Jamaica-bound), N27, N23, N88, or whatever, it would be GREAT! ^^

Nice shot. :tup:

Thanks. If anyone can capture the side frames of an 1800-series (the signs right next to the door) for some routes like the N22A (hopefully Jamaica-bound), N27, N23, N88, or whatever, it would be GREAT! ^^

This I found on TTMG, I don't know if it will be good enough for you :

LIB_Orion_1802b.jpg

This I found on TTMG, I don't know if it will be good enough for you :

LIB_Orion_1802b.jpg

As a picture itself, it's fantastic. But the side-Horizon is just too blurry for me to decipher.

(If anyone plans to get a shot of the side Horizon on the N22A, remember to take a shot of the side sign that says "JAMAICA — 165 ST TERMINAL." And 1800 series only.)

Oh, okay. And that is a Titan. Horizons only have one lined text. Titans and Hanovers have two lined text (said that to coney).
Ah, didn't know that. Thanks for the info. ^^

EDIT: Scratch that, the side sign in that shot IS a Luminator Horizon. There are many forms of them.

1. The main displays (a.k.a., front signs) on the LIB 1700s, 3000s/2200s MCIs, and 6500s Orion VIIs are Horizons, but are sixteen columns high.

2. The side signs of the 1700s, 3000s/2200s, and 6500s are also Horizons, but are only eight columns high.

3. The side signs on the Orion VII originals (6700s to 6800s for NYCT, 3500s to 3700s for MTAB) and Orion VII NGs for MTAB/NYCT (3800s-4702) and LIB (1800-1839) are also Horizons.

Here's some info about it to clear up the confusion: http://www.cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Luminator_Horizon

The front signs on the Orion VII originals (6700s to 6800s for NYCT, 3500s to 3700s for MTAB) and Orion VII NGs for MTAB/NYCT (3800s-4702) and LIB (1800-1839) are Titans. They're higher in resolution (whereas Horizons are much lower), have many more columns (twenty-four, to be exact), and contain thicker and bigger letters/numbers.

Edited by RTS CNG Command

Ah, didn't know that. Thanks for the info. ^^

EDIT: Scratch that, the side sign in that shot IS a Luminator Horizon. There are many forms of them.

1. The main displays (a.k.a., front signs) on the LIB 1700s, 3000s/2200s MCIs, and 6500s Orion VIIs are Horizons, but are sixteen columns high.

2. The side signs of the 1700s, 3000s/2200s, and 6500s are also Horizons, but are only eight columns high.

3. The side signs on the Orion VII originals (6700s to 6800s for NYCT, 3500s to 3700s for MTAB) and Orion VII NGs for MTAB/NYCT (3800s-4702) and LIB (1800-1839) are also Horizons.

Here's some info about it to clear up the confusion: http://www.cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Luminator_Horizon

The front signs on the Orion VII originals (6700s to 6800s for NYCT, 3500s to 3700s for MTAB) and Orion VII NGs for MTAB/NYCT (3800s-4702) and LIB (1800-1839) are Titans. They're higher in resolution (whereas Horizons are much lower), have many more columns (twenty-four, to be exact), and contain thicker and bigger letters/numbers.

Ah. Okay, Thanks ALOT!

Nice work, Coneyisland7! :tup:tup:

Now it's time to feature more signs. As I said, I was working on developing MegaMax flipdots similar to the ex-PBLs. Well, I now have five of them. Here they are!

B100, Mill Basin-bound:

COM-B100-Mill-Basin-bound-flipdot.gif

B100, Midwood-bound:

COM-B100-Kings-Highway-bound-flipdot.gif

Q111, Jamaica-bound:

JB-Q111-Jamaica-bound-flipdot.gif

Q101, Astoria-bound:

QSC-Q101-Hazen-bound-flipdot.gif

Q6, Jamaica-bound:

GBL-Q6-Fantasy-Jamaica-bound-flipdot.gif

More to come! ^^

I'm going to split this post in 2...

This is where I thank Casey Stengel, IRT, Coneyislandav7, SevenEleven, and everyone here who has contributed to this topic. Without you and everyone else who has participated in asking for signs or making your own, this topic wouldn't have flourished as well as it is now. You guys have been fantastic helping me and everyone else out, and I thank all of you as a result. I'm deeply honored. :tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup:
Hello again! First off, nice work, IRT! REALLY like the sign. :tup:
I appreciate the kind words. :tup: You deserve more credit since you created the fonts. All we did was help out with backlogged requests. I have no plans to give up on sign making, and I hope your helpers won't give up as well. :cool:

Here's another version of my side Horizon:<image>

This took be some research, and this is the EXACT character limit of the side Horizon.

That will be my next project; the introduction of side digital signs. This time, I will work on it. So far, I only know the character limit for the Titan, Horizon, and Flipdot side signs.

B6 │ PURGATORY(TOP)

NICKEL ST (BOTTOM)

B6 │ CROSSTOWN

B6LocalOrangeLED1.gif

DO NOT request for more signs. WAIT until I make the other 3 signs. If you ignore this warning, I WILL reject your 3 requests.

N| Train Express To

N| Queensboro Plaza

NExpressVertexLED1.gif

NOT IN SERVICE (flip) NO PASSENGERS

NOT IN SERVICE

NO PASSENGERS

OOSGreenFlipdot1.gif

OOSOrangeLED1.png

[135] Freehold Ctr. <(flipdot)

Via Matawan (in orange)

NJT135GreenFlipdot1.gif

Post continued... No more backlogged requests!

Route 1 Newark ivy hill via river terminal

NJT1OrangeLED1.gif

Q26 sign

[Destination] Fresh Meadows

Hollis Court Blvd

[Via] 46th Avenue!

Q26LocalOrangeLED1.gif

Route: (Q43)

-Floral Park

268 St

-Via Hillside

-Limited

Q43LimitedGreenFlipdot1.gif

(Q88)

via Horace Harding

Woodhaven Blvd Station

Queens Center Mall

Q88LocalOrangeLED1.gif

B48|Bed-Stuy

Fulton St

B48|via Lorimer

via Franklin

B48LocalGreenFlipdot1.gif

Green Flipdot :

dsd.png

Thanks, and take your time. No rush. :([/font]

I made a Titan by mistake... I can still make a flipdot if you want, since I'm free from bakclogged requests. :cool:Q44LimitedTitanLED1.gif

That's all for now.

I'm back with more PBL-like signs!

These first two signs represent Green Bus Lines and their method of signage:

Q11 — Elmhurst-bound:

GBL-Q11-Elmhurst-bound-flipdot.gif

Q11 — Howard Beach-bound:

GBL-Q11-Howard-Beach-bound-flipdot.gif

-

Now to Command's B103.

B103 — Downtown Brooklyn-bound:

COM-B103-Dwtwn-Bklyn-bound-flipdot.gif

(Note: While under Command, the B103 was considered an express like the Q53 under Triboro.)

-

Finally, the Q104 to Sunnyside (Queens Surface would adjust the size of their route number to accomodate the bus info):

QSC-Q104-Sunnyside-bound-flipdot.gif

Excellent signs, guys! :cool:

I made a fantasy route, the BxM55 Super Express. This fantasy route travels between Wakefield and South Ferry via White Plains Rd, Webster Av, and 3rd Av in the Bronx AND Manhattan. These are the following stops:

* Wakefield, Nereid Avenue, 233rd Street, 225th Street, 219th Street, Gun Hill Road

* Fordham, Tremont, The Hub, 138th Street

* 125th Street, 84th Street, 42nd Street, 9th Street, Houston Street, Grand Street, Canal Street, Chatham Square, Franklin Square, Fulton Street, Hanover Square, South Ferry

This express route operates weekday rush hours only from 6AM to 10AM and 3:30PM to 7:30PM, so please don't wait for it middays, evenings, and weekends. :)

BxM55ExpressTitanLED1.gif

Excellent sign, IRT! Here's what the sign that would look like if it was real in Titans form: <BxM55 Titan sign>
That's the main difference, we both align the words differently! :)

Now, I should've said this days ago, but I forgot... As a sign maker, I won't help out much for a few reasons. There are 2 sign makers here that are doing a fabulous job with the signs (2 more will help out soon), so with me around, it's pretty much a moot point. I'll still check this thread from time to time and see how much progress is made. If, for whatever reason, the sign makers are unable to make signs for a valid reason, I'll be glad to step in and help out. But for now, I'll allow the other sign makers to show off their skills. :tup:

As for those that request for signs, please don't overdo it. 2-3 signs per day is fine in my opinion. It's very hard to make X signs in one day as I already experienced it various times. Most of us have a life outside of this forum, so consider that fact first. No one should pester the sign makers to make their signs first before anyone else because it's rude. Notice how I made signs based on the day it was requested in order. Also, think about how you want your sign to read (destination, via, etc.) before requesting one, and the type of bus sign you want (flipdot, horizon, etc...). It's basic stuff, and it's less complicated.

That's my 2 cents.

VERY nice work, R44! :( The QM20 and M106 signs are very well-done! ;)

Well, as for me, signs will be put off for the next few days. I'm in the process of uploading all of my files onto a brand new iMac (with Snow Leopard OS and will upgrade to Lion when the kinks are resolved), but that means backing them up onto my Seagates and then programming my new iMac to make it up-to-date with all my technology (sound, printing, mouse work, router, Office 2011, etc.). But even after it's all done, I'll still be double-checking to see if I have EVERYTHING.

Also, college will start soon, and it's possible that it'll be my final semester. I'll be taking some really tough courses (and one of them I might drop after a couple of weeks), so my sign-creation time may be limited until the winter.

That said, great job, everyone, and keep up the good work! :tup::tup: