Texas accidentally bans marriage altogether

RTS CNG Command

(Newser) – The geniuses who wrote Texas’ gay marriage ban may have accidentally banned all marriage in the state, according to one Houston lawyer. Subsection B of the ban, a constitutional amendment ratified in 2005, states, “This state…may not create or recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage.” The intent was to prevent even civil unions for gay couples—but it doesn’t actually specify the “gay” part.

The wording essentially “eliminates marriage in Texas,” Barbara Ann Radnofsky, the Democratic candidate for state attorney general tells the McClatchy Papers. “You do not have to have a fancy law degree to read this and understand what it plainly says.” Conservatives scoffed at Radnofsky’s tactics. “It’s a silly argument,” said the head of an organization that helped draft the amendment. A lawsuit based on it would have “about one chance in a trillion” of succeeding.

http://www.newser.com/story/74400/texas-accidentally-bans-straight-marriage.html

Got this news from a friend. Funniest thing I've heard all month. :D

Hey this works from me, marriage is a loosing agrement anyway. You can't stand her, she gets half you stuff, she cheats on you, she gets half your stuff. I think Texas has a really good idea with this one and I'm not joking.

Best post evar.

You'll find biased/ignorant/bigoted views everywhere. Everyone has them no matter how tolerant the person may seem on the outside. Those Texan lawmakers simply chose to express their views by forcing them on all their fellow Texans.

You'll find biased/ignorant/bigoted views everywhere. Everyone has them no matter how tolerant the person may seem on the outside. Those Texan lawmakers simply chose to express their views by forcing them on all their fellow Texans.

The United States of America is a Republic and not a Democracy. A Democracy is a form of government in which the people decide policy matters directly--through town hall meetings or by voting on ballot initiatives and referendums. A Republic, on the other hand, is a system in which the people choose representatives who, in turn, make policy decisions on their behalf. By the Texans voting for their representatives, they are indirectly adopting those views, not being forced it.

I prefer to take the view that America was founded by those who were persecuted religiously who established freedom of religion. Those damn intolerant Bible Thumpers can go to hell like the Islamic Fundamentalists who do the same thing with a different religion that they claim to despise so much.

No religion = the best religion. Who says you need religion to believe in a god or a supreme being anyway?

God does not ask for your money...but organized religion does..

Hey this works from me, marriage is a loosing agrement anyway. You can't stand her, she gets half you stuff, she cheats on you, she gets half your stuff. I think Texas has a really good idea with this one and I'm not joking.

Maybe they should have a written contract where should there be a divorce, the husband will get to keep certain items [reasonable and not outrageous] and if the wife does not approve, then they should not bother to get married. B)

Whoa, you and I agreeing on something. That's a hell of a feat right there. B)

Not that hard to agree on common sense. :cool:

Constantine started all of this marry one person man + woman stuff, before that there was the simple marriage = man + woman, not as in "oh em gee you can't deviate from man + woman", a theologian from Israel said it best when he explained that part of the old testament that defines marriage was simply to help people understand to not marry a donkey or camel etc, basic guidelines for early civilization, not to be taken as "if not do this go to hell".

It's hard to understand old testament/Judaism because people try to interpret it literally, it's not meant to be taken literally, and christians who take it literally, especially adam & eve and 6 days creation etc are missing the point of the core of the belief system. The faith part for them is not trying to sell the 6 days and adam and eve, the faith part is believing in afterlife, creator etc. It seems this is lost on modern folks. Moving into the new testament, you have "jesus made the blind see" and whatnot, these are also taken too literally, people run off the end of the earth "jesus heals", what jesus' teachings were meant to do, was remind the jews under roman rule that the way to salvation is not acquired by earthly possessions in the form of offerings etc, but in internal faith and belief one true god and such. That inner peace is found within ourselves, and not by paying a fee to access the afterlife in heaven.

I personally don't believe there is a god, and that jesus was a smart and brave man who stood up to the corrupt system back then, but just a man. However i do think the bible has some valuable lessons that ring true today, all you gotta do is think like they thought thousands of years ago, they didn't have it figured out back then, the world was a complete mystery, and they only tried to have some semblance of order, which is all religion/spirituality is.

Being married in reality is/was a way to keep track of land ownership, rights to things and so on, it really had little to do with anything else. Again, this was to instill some sense of order. I personally think it's outdated and taken far, far too seriously. As long as we are not having relations & kids with our immediate family & close relatives i don't see what the big deal is with having more than one partner or more than one life partner. Romans often had more than one wife, this was the way things were all over the world for a very long time. Why try to print a wall of books in the way of human nature? You love whom you love, and are attracted to whomever you are attracted to, simple as that.

- A

Archived