iCarly video game & a lucky R46 F train catch all in one day!

Ftrainfan

An R46 (F) isn't really a lucky catch. I got a bunch today. And what does iCarly have to do with transit?

Darn. I should have said that most of the coney island bound (F) trains were R160s and most of the 179st bound (F) trains were R46s. It was lucky since there were only a little amount of R46 (F) trains going to Coney Island.

Though, I dont hate the R160s, I just dont like the fact that so many are on the (F) line now, my home line! I like the R46s for their interiors, very comfy & available seats at times during rush hour. The R160s, you better hope there's a seat!

THAT's WHAT I'M SAYING!!!!!!!! R160s are cool on the (F) , but R46s are better off dominating the (F) train.

THAT's WHAT I'M SAYING!!!!!!!! R160s are cool on the (F) , but R46s are better off dominating the (F) train.

In my opinion, any route is okay as long as it's not R160 dominated. I'm glad the R143 was a small order because it still left some R42s on the (L).

Someday, we'll get over this R160 madness. I mean look, we got over the R142/A takeover, didn't we?

In my opinion, any route is okay as long as it's not R160 dominated. I'm glad the R143 was a small order because it still left some R42s on the (L).

Someday, we'll get over this R160 madness. I mean look, we got over the R142/A takeover, didn't we?

Only because the MTA underestimated the ridership on the L line. They should've ordered more trains at the start.

I don't think anyone's foaming over the R160s, they are all the same in appearance and have no differences other than propulsion type [it's boring].

The one good thing about them is at least the climate controls are pretty good and they don't break down too much. I think most riders appreciates that aspect of the new trains.

Only because the MTA underestimated the ridership on the L line. They should've ordered more trains at the start.

I don't think anyone's foaming over the R160s, they are all the same in appearance and have no differences other than propulsion type [it's boring].

The one good thing about them is at least the climate controls are pretty good and they don't break down too much. I think most riders appreciates that aspect of the new trains.

That's true, their MDBF is pretty high, although I don't always look at MDBF to determine how good a car class is most of the time. This past summer, I got in a dead-hot R160 (E) train with a broken HVAc car in the consist. It was terrible. I didn't even bother getting onto the next car, I just waited for a (C) train behind it.

The thing is though, with the new car class coming in, it was okay the first time, especially when I first rode a 160 on the (A) in late 2006/early 2007. Now, it's got completely boring, and everytime I hear about 160 talk about how great they are and what not I feel like banging my head against the wall, hoping I lose my hearing. (B)) I do feel like people have taken it too far with the new trains and should just give it a rest already. They've already had countless months, and even the past few years as a matter of fact, to brag and boast about them. It's seriously getting old. The car class in general is now four years old and are already dominating nine subway lines, and will be on the (R) by next month, making it ten. So let's not get too excited here. You like R160s, fine. I can't blame you, we all have favorites.

True, I'm not going to hate anyone because they like something over another, but I don't want to hear 'the cars suck' with out reasons for it [and I want specific reasons, not vague ones].

But I think you might be overexhagerating about the 'how great the R160' rants are. I can understand using mdbfs as a source, but it is a good indicator of how things are, there's nothing wrong with that. Like all things, there's more to the cars than just the mdbfs, but we have to face the facts that after 40+ years the older cars have to retire eventually. They can only be kept around for so long.

I'm just happy I got my pics of the system starting in 2003, sadly too late for the redbirds, but at least I got most of B division covered.

True, I'm not going to hate anyone because they like something over another, but I don't want to hear 'the cars suck' with out reasons for it [and I want specific reasons, not vague ones].

But I think you might be overexhagerating about the 'how great the R160' rants are. I can understand using mdbfs as a source, but it is a good indicator of how things are, there's nothing wrong with that. Like all things, there's more to the cars than just the mdbfs, but we have to face the facts that after 40+ years the older cars have to retire eventually. They can only be kept around for so long.

I'm just happy I got my pics of the system starting in 2003, sadly too late for the redbirds, but at least I got most of B division covered.

That's perfectly fine. We all have our favorites. And if we don't like something, there should be a valid reason, and they are out there. I like a majority of the older equipment from 32s to 46s, even the 44s to an extent, because they've been through hell and back, especially during their time of deferred maintenance, but they still got the job done. Even though overhaul and routine SMS is not helping the SMEEs anymore, I can still hope that the cars will stick around for a bit longer, even though we dealt with three car retirements. I'll share my time with the 160s once this whole thing blows over.

Yup, get your rides on the remaining SMEEs while you still can. The R68s and R160s are not going anywhere soon.

Don't worry about me, I'm not taking these car retirements for granted. But I do need to catch some R42s from Jamaica because there are only four sets left!

Archived