R32 (Q) photos

R32 3838

WTH are you talking about, (Q) riders grew up with these trains. R160s are a downgrade for the (Q) as they are for any line because they hold less people and the cars are just about too heavy for the elevated structure anyway.

not always cuz when the (D) used to run via Brighton Local it was all R68 with occasional R68A's (B)) and R40 Slants (YUCK! :) :tdown:), and ever since the (Q) got to be the permanent line, u can basically say that everything ran on it except an R38 or R44...

i love the R68A's and R68's on the (:)(Q) Brighton Line. Nothing else, especially an R32! Lol.

not always cuz when the (D) used to run via Brighton Local it was all R68 with occasional R68A's (B)) and R40 Slants (YUCK! :) :tdown:), and ever since the (Q) got to be the permanent line, u can basically say that everything ran on it except an R38 or R44...

i love the R68A's and R68's on the (:)(Q) Brighton Line. Nothing else, especially an R32! Lol.

I disagree, I like the R32 running on Brighton. It is appropriate for an R32 'Brightliners' to retire on the Brighton line! :cool:

It was nice when the slants were still on the B, at least there was some variety on the line. Now it's all dull and boring with nothing but R68s and R160s.

I understand no cars lasts forever, but I enjoy the older SMEEs where they are and would hope it lasts a few more months.

I disagree, I like the R32 running on Brighton. It is appropriate for an R32 'Brightliners' to retire on the Brighton line! :cool:

It was nice when the slants were still on the B, at least there was some variety on the line. Now it's all dull and boring with nothing but R68s and R160s.

I understand no cars lasts forever, but I enjoy the older SMEEs where they are and would hope it lasts a few more months.

You said it well, Mr. Concourse! I can't see how one can hate the R32s, those trains look too damn good to be hated! C'mon Luis :)

Yeah, R32s are great. And everyone should at least enjoy it as it probably won't last long. Brighton has become stale and boring. R68s and R160s, they are fine for the general public, but they lack 'personality', ie: they are dull and boring to look at. A variety every now and then would be nice to have.

I dunno the exact details of the R32 ban on the N, but if ever that is lifted, like it or not the R32s can run on the Brighton line. And as said, the D hardly borrows a set from Coney, so an R32 wouldn't end up on the D either.

They don't hold that many less than the R-32s if even. R-32s have corner cabs taking up space in every car and R-68/As have full and corner cabs in each car wasting space. Not the case with the R-160s, not even getting to other apsects of R-160s which commuters appear to like. Wrong, they're not too heavy for elevated structures, BMT Steels as well as R-10s were used on these structures for decades and they were heavier. Please, check your info.

R32/38s can seat 56 people where as R40/42s and R160s can only seat 44. R68/68As can seat 70, but the R44s can seat the most of all B Division cars at 76.

i kno right? i mean there are other lines in the system, but why on the (Q)(B) Brighton? how about the (N), or the (D), so what if the (D) is not based out of coney island?

it makes railfanning on the Brighton Line super fun. you can thank some old lady for filing a lawsuit claiming the R32s made her crash on the (N) for the reason why you will not seem them there anymore. that was a very stupid lawsuit because to me, the only cars that gave me bumps and bruises countless time were the R40 slants even though they were the best of the St Louis cars. it would be pointless to send it to the (D) since it is not maintained at Coney Island.

not always cuz when the (D) used to run via Brighton Local it was all R68 with occasional R68A's (:)) and R40 Slants (YUCK! :) :tdown:), and ever since the (Q) got to be the permanent line, u can basically say that everything ran on it except an R38 or R44...

i love the R68A's and R68's on the (B)(Q) Brighton Line. Nothing else, especially an R32! Lol.

boring!

R160s and R68/68As are a big upgrade over R40/40M/42s and R68/68As.

You said it well, Mr. Concourse! I can't see how one can hate the R32s, those trains look too damn good to be hated! C'mon Luis :o

anyone who hates the R32s must be blind as a bat.

Yeah, R32s are great. And everyone should at least enjoy it as it probably won't last long. Brighton has become stale and boring. R68s and R160s, they are fine for the general public, but they lack 'personality', ie: they are dull and boring to look at. A variety every now and then would be nice to have.

I dunno the exact details of the R32 ban on the N, but if ever that is lifted, like it or not the R32s can run on the Brighton line. And as said, the D hardly borrows a set from Coney, so an R32 wouldn't end up on the D either.

no point in putting R32s on the (N) since it is now exclusively R160s. it would not look right to replace the system's newest cars with the oldest.

I can't wait for the last run of the R32s, it should be a good time.

it will be saddest day in New York City Transit History.

A good time, yet a sad time, just like when the Redbirds retired. The turnout rate will be extremely high this time though!

everyone, get on your knees, and cry, and give the R32s a big kiss goodbye when they become the final casualty of the R160s.

Cool pixs! I wonder how long will they stay on the (Q)?

probably just a one time thing. that set is still meant for the (B) if necessary.

Hate it. Big downgrade for the (Q). There's not one R68 consist that they can put in instead of this thing? While in decent cosmetic shape, this train's design looks archaic and they are not fun to ride in, IMO.

the only downgrade that occurs is when any subway line switches from an R32. R32 to R160 is a slight downgrade. R32 to R46 is a big downgrade, R32 to R42 is an even bigger downgrade, and R32 to R44 is the worst downgrade ever!

The R32 ship has sailed. R160s are average but up-to-date rolling stock. R32s are noisy, bumpy, screechy and completely outmoded in 2009. Hell, they were in 2002. R68s serve the (Q) well, they are not new but not terribly dated at this time and are reasonably comfortable from a non rail-fan's POV who could care less about riding in trains they "grew up with". Wouldn't "grew up with" depend on the rider's age? (Q) riders are now "used to" the more modern R68 and R160 now so an R32 is way old equipment from out of the blue for this line. Anyway, if the Brighton line wasn't all local, this one R32 train set would never be in CI serving Brighton. What CI could use is a new R160 set to replace it and send it back to service the Fulton line.

i happened to like the old box-like design of the R32s. i am not a fan of the ugly design of the R40/42s nor am i fan of the weird design of the R44s and beyond that make them loot fat and chubby. so what an R32 appears on the (Q)? what would Brighton riders care about? it is only one set and you will not see it every day. Brighton Riders are used to the R68/68As because they have served them since 1985.

The R160s can rot in hell. I'm glad that they haven't hit the Fulton Line yet as T/Os and C/Rs over there don't want to deal with them. It's bad enough Pitkin has to test those cars.

Believe me, I'll take an R44 over an R160 any day. All subway cars > 160. Everyone's gonna be sorry when the remainder of the 60' SMEEs are gone. Look what happened with the R142s: the (2), (4) and (5) had to borrow trains from other lines because the 142s were acting up in 2006.

the only cars better than the R160s are R32s. i hope to see R68/68As at Pitkin.

The R142/R143/R160 are WAY more reliable than R44, R46, R62s or R68s were when they were new. What you or I prefer is irrelevant, it's what serves the public best as the MTA currently modernizes its total operation.

every subway car will breakdown no matter what.

R160s are inferior to every other subway car in the B Division. R32 is WAY better than the R160; R40 Slants are better than the R160; R46s are better than the R160; R143s make the R160 look like a joke because the R160 is a mockup version of the R143; even R44s are better than the R160. I'd pick a 44 over a 160 any day. I'll pick any subway car over an R160.

Back to the R32 (Q) Topic, The R32 did not see service today, It just sat in the yard, It should be in service tomorrw Morning, 3610 Had an Orange (Q)It sat right next to an R160 in the yard.

Thanks for the info, it was smart for the TA to put that train on the (Q) at long last.

R160s are inferior to every other subway car in the B Division. R32 is WAY better than the R160; R40 Slants are better than the R160; R46s are better than the R160; R143s make the R160 look like a joke because the R160 is a mockup version of the R143; even R44s are better than the R160. I'd pick a 44 over a 160 any day. I'll pick any subway car over an R160.

Talk about foam. Enough we get it, you like R32s and hate everything else. Relax.

This is only temporary until the Brighton GO gets lifted, so don't be surprised if the R32 pops up on the Q. Maybe it's because the newest R160 orders are going to Jamaica, and the Superintendant doesn't want anymore R32's to go there, so said it, and done, the 1 R32 set is in Coney Island as a spare, and will be placed in service in whatever line needs it, so in this case it's the (Q)!

The R32 ship has sailed. R160s are average but up-to-date rolling stock. R32s are noisy, bumpy, screechy and completely outmoded in 2009. Hell, they were in 2002. R68s serve the (Q) well, they are not new but not terribly dated at this time and are reasonably comfortable from a non rail-fan's POV who could care less about riding in trains they "grew up with". Wouldn't "grew up with" depend on the rider's age? (Q) riders are now "used to" the more modern R68 and R160 now so an R32 is way old equipment from out of the blue for this line. Anyway, if the Brighton line wasn't all local, this one R32 train set would never be in CI serving Brighton. What CI could use is a new R160 set to replace it and send it back to service the Fulton line.

Awww Awww well you have to deal with it!

Awww Awww well you have to deal with it!

lmao! Well said.

These whole 'I hate older cars' or 'I hate R160s' rants are just getting out of hand... If you don't like a certain car, then take your chances and wait like 10+ min for the next train to show up. The MTA runs whatever they have and not for anyone's opinions about liking this or that.

So your the authority on foam then, telling people what they can and can't foam about?

I'm very high on the seniority list to determine what makes a foamer separate from a real railfan. BTW, don't take the post seriously, it's a joke.

lmao! Well said.

These whole 'I hate older cars' or 'I hate R160s' rants are just getting out of hand... If you don't like a certain car, then take your chances and wait like 10+ min for the next train to show up. The MTA runs whatever they have and not for anyone's opinions about liking this or that.

Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily hate the R160s, I just don't see the hype over the cars. They're new, so what? They've been around for four years! They hype over the cars is now long over, or should be. People are getting hyped over a subway car that will be around for years. That's why I'm showing appreciation to the older cars from R32 to R46 because they've been through a lot more than what people realize and everyone is taking their retirements for granted.

I'd love to have R160 displays and seats in a R32 carbody to be honest.

The seats can stay, because the R160 seats IMO are too flat. A FIND in an R32 would be an improvement though.

Archived