Russia: Bomb caused train crash that killed 26

metsfan

Russian officials opened a terrorism investigation Saturday, saying that a homemade bomb planted on the tracks of the high-speed Moscow-to-St. Petersburg route caused a derailment that killed at least 26 people and injured dozens more.

The head of Russia's Federal Security Service, Alexander Borotnikov, was quoted by the Interfax and RIA Novosti news as saying that an improvised explosive device equivalent to 15 pounds (7 kilograms) of TNT had detonated when the train passed over it Friday night. Remains of the device were found at the site of the crash, Borotnikov said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2009/11/28/2009-11-28_terrorism_eyed_in_russian_train_derailment_that_has_left_at_least_25_dead_dozens.html#ixzz0YBk8ZiWB

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091128/ap_on_re_eu/eu_russia_train_derailed

post-499-133288581182_thumb.jpg

post-499-133288581182_thumb.jpg

There are access roads to this segment of ROW, but i'm not sure how useful they are, they may have had to come from farther away following the tracks.

I really hope all of the missing are alive & well. This is a terrible incident for russia, their trains have basically been chugging along since the soviet union fell apart, i am unaware of any "new" equipment on their distance diesel lines.

-A

There are access roads to this segment of ROW, but i'm not sure how useful they are, they may have had to come from farther away following the tracks.

I really hope all of the missing are alive & well. This is a terrible incident for russia, their trains have basically been chugging along since the soviet union fell apart, i am unaware of any "new" equipment on their distance diesel lines.

-A

hasnt there been some investment in new rolling stock over the years it may not be lots but some

hasnt there been some investment in new rolling stock over the years it may not be lots but some

The "luxury" cars on that train had to be remodeled before this express service started, other than that, no... Unless you're speaking of EMUs.

Yea, the fancy new stuff is all electric.

I would guess this type of incident on a main line between 2 very important cities would be up to par, leaving bizarre causes or terrorism as the culprit.

- A

Archived