Gangs in New York talk Twitter: Use tweets to trash-talk rivals, plan fights

Harry

The city's street gangs are becoming tweet gangs.

Manhattan's young thugs have turned to Twitter, and the cops who track them are fast behind, the Daily News has learned.

It's old-school crime meets new technology: attacks being plotted - and thwarted - 140 characters at a time.

One investigator recently warned parents and teens that the bastion of OMG and LOL has been infiltrated by violent crews waging turf wars.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/11/29/2009-11-29_tweet_gangs_of_new_york_thugs_use_twitter_to_trashtalk_plan_fights.html#ixzz0YIIpNcOx

post-1-133288581184_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581184_thumb.jpg

What...the...HECK?!?!?!

So now gangs are taking it to the Internet. Another reason not to use Twitter anyway, it's 1/10th of what Facebook is and it's much easier for people to read posts.

Co-sign.

Twitter is basically like a slow instant messenger posted up for everyone on the internet to see.

Gangs in general are a stupid idea, all they do is addict people who need a clean life and a proper legit way out of their situation.

picard-facepalm.jpg

Go back to school gang people, and learn that life is more than money drugs hoes and whatnot. :confused:

As for twitter.... :tdown:

- A

Myspace is a bad site , i got suspended over it in 2 Different schools ,both were Sexually Targeted at me , when i defended myself it got nasty , and spilled into school, and fights , the fist time i got 2 days and 3 days i extra i took off. Second time was last year , it happened before Christmas Break so i took an extra week off on top of 3 days. Anyway Myspace is pretty bad when it comes to rumors , Twitter isn't that bad becuz of the 140 limit. Although ppl & Celebs have Twitter Wars which can get ugly fast. Facebook seems to be a Safe site for now, but i think they need more Mods & Admins and i think it needs to be run like Forum and not an open site. As The world gets more Technology Attached stories like these , will be happening more and more. If you type in Jersey City , The Bronx , Brooklyn, Queens , Newark , see what drops down as a Sugguestion , youtube needs to get on top of that:)

~Corey

There are plenty of mopes and perps going to school. The problem is that these "people" (using that term loosely here) don't realize they're living the skell lifestyle.

Savages, it's the only way to describe them. Now if only New York City had the same anti-gang laws LA has. In LA it is a crime to be around known gang members and there are other laws that make it hard for people to be mopes.

Co-sign.

Twitter is basically like a slow instant messenger posted up for everyone on the internet to see.

That's why I had serious doubts joining that site, and now I'm glad I never signed up.

I am not a fan of Twitter, it is an 140 character time wasting machine. But, I hate Myspace, I got banned from the chatroom while trying to make people stop talking about sex, violence, racial slurs and cursing. Even the transportation chatroom is like that, MySpace is screwed up.

Facebook is what I love, basically an online world of simple games and appropriate talking, and p2p chat is a plus, :)!

Myspace=bad space! Facebook OTOH=pure awesomeness!

Just imagine NYC had the balls to police its own citizens...that would truly be amazing. This place could be so much better...

You can say that again.

Just imagine NYC had the balls to police its own citizens...that would truly be amazing. This place could be so much better...

Sadly with the people who are in charge now, that will never happen. The likes of Kelly and Bloomburg like to pander to the same groups who work to protect these animals. When ever there is a shooting, the community leaders come out and blame the police for not doing enough to protect them. These are the same leaders who want to riot when the police "go too far" and actually prevent crime. Sadly the days of the NYPD being a crime preventing department are long gone, the NYPD is now a crime response department. I can't blame the officers either, I would not be proactive if someone is trying to jam me up for taking police action.

1000% true. Even cops are willing to give their own up to the rat squad. In so many words: the job is dead.

FUN is dead in this city, just the way the politicians who give away people's rights (but not those of the mooks that cause the most problems) want, and just like the businesses that have people working 60+ hour weeks want.

I just checked with my Agent and it is confirmed: TWITTER STILL SUCKS.

As for Myspace/Facebook all that other crap I hate them all and they all suck, I only use Facebook because it's the least horrendous of all of them (read: Still pretty damn bad). If any of you remember Facebook circa 2004-early 2006, and maybe very early 2007, you understand that it's a chit-can compared to what it used to be.

This is ridiculous. Gangs using Twitter?

This is why you will Never, Ever catch me on Twitter/Facebook/MySpace/What ever other -book, -er or-space there might be. I think those sites are plain stupid.

Myspace: Full of pages with animated bullcrap that makes it so hard to see, your retinas will fall out from straining so much. Full of retardation, and people who "tYpeE LiEk DizZ YaA HeRr!?"

Twitter: A place where people who can use a website all day can blather their F*!%ing brains out.

Facebook: I will not even get into that site's level of retardation. Full of BS like "Farmtown" and whatnot. This site makes it easy for people to sit there and constantly watch people update their profiles.

A note on typing etiquette: Typing With Each Letter Capitalized, Like This, is not only annoying, but if you combine all that with a very long paragraph makes it virtually impossible to read without pausing.

Please do not type like this -> (WhAtT izZ DizZ, CoMpPlEtE NoNseNzze?) It does NOT make you cool, it makes you sound like someone who has completely no education.

ALL CAPS ARE BAD. ME TYPING IN ALL CAPS, MAKES IT SEEM AS IN I'M SCREAMING HUH. IT ALSO IN SOME CASES MAKES YOU SOUND BOSSY AND RUDE. It's not okay, okay?

The city's street gangs are becoming tweet gangs.

The city's street gangs are becoming sweet gangs.

By no means am I "standing up" & "defending" gangs here w/ this post... but man, no one outside of NYC takes the gangs here in NYC as a serious threat... The people I know in California, New Orleans, and Chicago laugh @ me whenever I mention any type of gang related crime that goes on here in New York... Cats using twitter to talk shit & plan out fights & other criminal activity will give them all the more reason to ROTFL... matter fact, I'ma hop on AIM right now & post a link to that daily news page to a friend of mine (the one that lives in NO)...

I'm in NYC and I find this story comical.... So it's not like I can be on some "man, stop talking shit about NY"....

Anyway, when cats (not only NY-ers) started record gang activity on some medium... and uploading videos on youtube & facebook... I won't post links, but I've seen em... That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me, as far as how absolutely stupid people can be... There was some local gang out in Cali IIRC about a year ago that all got carted off & arrested for the video that was posted on youtube... do a search on it if intrigues you enough...

Youtube & Twitter - the cause of apprehending criminals one instance at a time !

Just thought I'd reply to some quotes here:

LMFAO! Gangs using twitter? Pathetic! Surprised they have the brains to use a computer as is.

hah... lmao.

Goes behind the underlying concept/quote Thugs don't have internet access, or w/e the exact quote is... If you're a member (or lurk) on multiple forums (transit based or not), I'm sure you've seen someone use some variation of that quote, in retaliation to some cat that on some forum "e-thugging"....

This is ridiculous. Gangs using Twitter?

This is why you will Never, Ever catch me on Twitter/Facebook/MySpace/What ever other -book, -er or-space there might be. I think those sites are plain stupid.

Myspace: Full of pages with animated bullcrap that makes it so hard to see, your retinas will fall out from straining so much. Full of retardation, and people who "tYpeE LiEk DizZ YaA HeRr!?"

Twitter: A place where people who can use a website all day can blather their F*!%ing brains out.

Facebook: I will not even get into that site's level of retardation. Full of BS like "Farmtown" and whatnot. This site makes it easy for people to sit there and constantly watch people update their profiles.

A note on typing etiquette: Typing With Each Letter Capitalized, Like This, is not only annoying, but if you combine all that with a very long paragraph makes it virtually impossible to read without pausing.

Please do not type like this -> (WhAtT izZ DizZ, CoMpPlEtE NoNseNzze?) It does NOT make you cool, it makes you sound like someone who has completely no education.

ALL CAPS ARE BAD. ME TYPING IN ALL CAPS, MAKES IT SEEM AS IN I'M SCREAMING HUH. IT ALSO IN SOME CASES MAKES YOU SOUND BOSSY AND RUDE. It's not okay, okay?

Agreed on so many levels.... I'm not going to lie about being much of a social person, b/c I'm not... and it doesn't matter whoever looks upon me in some negative fashion in the future of having said this...

That said, not once have I ever felt the need to create a myspace, facebook or a twitter... and believe me, I've had many people that ask me "yo, why you aint got a myspace"... as if to make me feel like I'm out of some proverbial loop that I never wanted to be a part of in the first place !

and I can't use the excuse that "I'm in my late 20's, so that's not for me anyway", b/c it's people in my age group (and older) that are dominating, in terms of the amount of people who all have accounts on these social/networking means of communication....

Myspace, I suppose, started off w/ good intentions (I still remember the original myspace.com back in the mid 90's as an online storage site; "web hard drive" service)... but it later became an (unintentional) competition of "who can create the best webpage"... meaning, you'd have thousands of pages loaded w/ javascript, and xml, css, and all other types of languages... this makes page loading that much longer...

so yeh, this supports your opinion on what you said about myspace....

Facebook.... that site went downhill when they opened the flood gates to all the riff raff... when it was just for students only, you didn't see 3/4ths of the BS that's now on there... to me, this has gotten worse than myspace b/c I've been on forums where ppl linked to other ppl's facebooks that's had... well, pics & vids of full blown "adult activities" on there.... myspace had the booty shakers on there, but that was the worst of it... ppl. migrated to facebook when myspace went on a rampage, closing down entire accounts...

so after myspace had its shine, facebook stepped onto the scene... and after facebook has its shine, twitter now has the spotlight....

The question is... what the hell is next?

I keep telling people, it's gonna come to a point where dudes is gonna start jumping through TV screens & telephones to meet up with people... like on the Jetsons... lol....

Archived