What is with the 5?

R10 2952

Since at least September, I've noticed that the (5) has been running local in the Bronx during rush hours. I checked the (MTA) website about it once, and found no service advisory about it. All I wish to know is why there is currently no (5) express service in the Bronx, how long this is supposed to last, and when proper service will resume. Does anyone know anything about this?

Since at least September, I've noticed that the (5) has been running local in the Bronx during rush hours. I checked the (MTA) website about it once, and found no service advisory about it. All I wish to know is why there is currently no (5) express service in the Bronx, how long this is supposed to last, and when proper service will resume. Does anyone know anything about this?

They were fixing the tracks and signals around East 180th Street....which stopped <5> express train going to/from Eastchester-Dyre Avenue during AM and PM rush hours and to Nereid Avenue-238th Street during PM rush hours. So <5> express trains ran local all times to/from Eastchester-Dyre Avenue and PM rush Nereid Avenue-238th Street <5> ended @ East 180th Street. That G/O service suppose to had ended the weekend of November 13th-15th....so I don't know if there is restored <5> express trains!

Ok as a WPR lover:p ill explain:

(5) Ran local between East 180th to 149th St due to signal upgrades over there. Trainmaster<5> told me that they were upgrading the old IRT signal since Mott tower wasnt able to get a grid off the old signals.. And also to fix up tracks around the Union Port Area as well as adding a direct track from Union Port to East 180th yd

(5) Ran local all day including Rush Hours. To/From Dyre Avenue

<5> East 238th Bound ran local of course, some ending at East 180th for yard access...

This was in effect from Sept to a week ago this month.

MOST (5) ran express from East 180th to 149th during the RH. Idk why, im guessing because they wanted to test signals or something..

The (2) was cut to East 180th instead of 241st and (5) cut to east 180th then going to Manhattan the first weekend of this G/O because of track work. Plus the (2) had to run on the Express track south of Bx Pk east, which MOW had made a track switch there. So no (5) via WPR Exp (East 180th to GH) couldnt go express. Two weekends ago the tracks were restored of course..

Service as of last monday has resumed.

(5) via WPR Express from East 180th to 149th AM/PM Peak, (2) via WPR Local..

(5) can now run express normal and also run express to East 180th st and end there (Dunring early Midday). PM northbound <5> 238th can now run express from 149th to East 180th and exp from 180th to GH. (Only limited trains does this for 239th access)...

That should do..

doesnt <5> only go to Neried Ave during rush hours? thats how the maps would always show it

Yes Peak only.AM to Manhattan coming from 239th Yard, PM to 238th going to 239th yd with Limited <5> Express trains running express from East 180th to Gun hill road and ending there..

unfortunately, the <5> doesnt exist according to the new maps. i think i read on strappies that the (MTA) changed the meaning of a diamond so now all (5)s have a circle. the routes never changed at all though

Yeah, as of 2005 it was made only for Express service such as Pelham Express <6> and Flushing Express <7>. Before that it meant rush hr service.. Sad the <5> had to be removed.. It helped identify the (5) Dyre from <5> 238th.. Tho Only 1 or 2 sets of the R142 still shows <5>.. And older sign info including (9) since the the t/a didnt update it.

Tho i still use <5> for 238th here and where ever..

Archived