Straphangers frustrated over odd amounts leftover on MetroCards

Harry

Now that I think about it, I will be collecting left over MetroCards I find in the Subway stations, good chance of finding a free transfer or loose leftover change!

The other day while fanning the (Q) shuttles I was left with 25 cents on my MetroCard. 2 dollars fixed that problem!

Station agents will only combine 5 cards at a time.

The article doesn't mention that.

Why wouldn't they then be able to go to the back of the line and do the next set of five cards and then combine all the new cards and then add the difference.

If they could, it still sounds like a lot of work. It should be easier.

Why wouldn't they then be able to go to the back of the line and do the next set of five cards and then combine all the new cards and then add the difference.

I imagine they do that so that you can work through the line faster... imagine some jerk trying to combine 50 cards in front of you when you need to get a non-reading unlimited card fixed. I'm sure if there's noone around, the attendant will be happy to just take all your metrocards and assemble them in sets of 5 until you end up with one card with all the value.

$8.00 seems like an odd amount to start on a Metrocard. That is only three subway/bus rides with $1.25 left over or four PATH rides with $1.00 left over.

Well when you buy $8, you get $9.20 on the card thanks to the 15% bonus. So you get 4 rides + 20 cents left over or on PATH it's 5 rides with 45 cents left over.

I am sure anyone can request multiple batches of 5 cards to be combined, and then the resulting cards to be combined into one card. But anyone who has multiple sets of 5 cards (10/20/35 whatever) is obviously rather irresponsible and will probably get into the habit of accumulating cards again.

I guess I will never understand why someone should have more then 2 (at most) metrocards with Balances...

I can understand if a Unlimited ride user likes to keep a PPR card with 10$ on it for emergencies or something to that extent...

But to just keep buying new PPR cards is stupid and they deserve to losing that little bit of money. REFILL PEOPLE REFILL

Archived