20 R42's Left at Jamaica and the (C) becoming 10 cars

R32 3838

welp, its looking like its getting near the end of the line for the R42s. So we know, how many R32s are left at Jamaica yard? I remember from september it was 20. East NY's R42s do run on weekends if thats when you can get out there, I just happened to see an R42 (J) at Canal a few weekends ago.

Has any R160s hit the (R) yet? From what I can gather from people's posts the newest R160s that come in have been going to the (F) to move the R46s to the (R)(V) so theres no car shortages.

ive only taken an R160 on the (R) once. it was a shuttle from 36 St to 95 St and the reason why it was an R160 was because there were delays in (R) service, and the (N) train that was heading to coney island was rerouted over the (R) line to 95 St. So what the conductor did was change the sign from (N) to (R).

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know they won't be full length, I was using full length trains in terms of what would be laid up in the yard.

And I do agree the (G) should be full length trains as well, the obvious downside would be the headways being longer. Like from say:

6min with 4-car trains to 10-12min with 8-car trains.

yep. totally agree.

I believe the maximum attainable speed of most NYCT equipment is generally considered to be 55mph. Even so, there are few if any places in the system where a train can reach such speeds. The only possibility might have been the Rockaway Line when it originally opened prior to the installation of GT signals on the the approaches to both the North and South Channel Bridges which would now prohibit those speeds.

I think he means they could last 60 years, not travel at 60 mph.

I was unsure of whether they made an appearance on the weekends. It's totally anecdotal, but on the LIRR one does not typically see an M3 on the weekends. I was under the impression that the ENY yardmaster might not send the SMEEs out unless required.

I was unsure of whether they made an appearance on the weekends. It's totally anecdotal, but on the LIRR one does not typically see an M3 on the weekends. I was under the impression that the ENY yardmaster might not send the SMEEs out unless required.

the LIRR is another story, one does not see an M3 even on weekdays, theyve gotten quite rare nowadays

I think 1-2 run on the weekends. That's about a 5-10% chance of catching one at any given station but it is easier if you wait along the middle of the line (like Broadway Junction), so the time it takes for the train to get back to that station is halved.

Also, if anyone is going to hunt for R32s or R42s this week, do it on the (V). I went hunting today and both sets of R32s AND R42s were on the (V). None were on the (R) today, and my friend told me that the same thing happened yesterday. I'm going to assume that this will stay true for the rest of the week, but IDK about next week. 4 trains out of 18 on the (V) gives you about a 22% chance of catching one at any given time.

I think 1-2 run on the weekends. That's about a 5-10% chance of catching one at any given station but it is easier if you wait along the middle of the line (like Broadway Junction), so the time it takes for the train to get back to that station is halved.

Also, if anyone is going to hunt for R32s or R42s this week, do it on the (V). I went hunting today and both sets of R32s AND R42s were on the (V). None were on the (R) today, and my friend told me that the same thing happened yesterday. I'm going to assume that this will stay true for the rest of the week, but IDK about next week. 4 trains out of 18 on the (V) gives you about a 22% chance of catching one at any given time.

They run 2 trainsets of R42's on the weekends, Just be out during the day before 7:30pm, I always see one on the (J) on the weekends. Also If anybody wants to cacth it during the week, The R42 that is in the back of Jamaica Center (put-in) will enter service around 3:15pm and will pull out at 3:30pm (15:33 out of Jamaica Center).

They run 2 trainsets of R42's on the weekends, Just be out during the day before 7:30pm, I always see one on the (J) on the weekends. Also If anybody wants to cacth it during the week, The R42 that is in the back of Jamaica Center (put-in) will enter service around 3:15pm and will pull out at 3:30pm (15:33 out of Jamaica Center).

New cars in, old cars out, rinse repeat.

I believe the maximum attainable speed of most NYCT equipment is generally considered to be 55mph. Even so, there are few if any places in the system where a train can reach such speeds. The only possibility might have been the Rockaway Line when it originally opened prior to the installation of GT signals on the the approaches to both the North and South Channel Bridges which would now prohibit those speeds.

your forgetting the 60th street tunnel... eastbound

Okay, Now its time to get your last shots & rides of R42's on the (V), After Next week or the week after next the R42's will be no more at Jamaica, After that, THEY WILL NOT RETIRE THOSE R32's!!!!, They will Be ether Transferd to 207th to make the (C) 10 cars or They will stay at Jamaica untl they want to get rid of them, After they dump off the R42's at Jamaica, You better head over to ENY and ride theirs also, Because I did hear that they want those gone also, Jamaica would start sending the R46's to 207th st if the (C) becomes 10 cars (They better start thinking quick because time is running out), If Not then The TA is going to have a Big Problem, But all I got to say get your last Rides on the R42's FIRST!!!!!!!! Then the R32's, And I dobut that the 60" SMEE's (R32's would be gone by June of 2010, They will be mostlikely gone by the Fall of next year rerember CI R32 trainset at CI.

I don't know who your sources are, but they have an amazing capacity for being incorrect. The only correct statements are that the C is about to go 10 cars, and the R42s are about to leave Jamaica. Although I suspect such is probable, It is not even certain that the R32s at Jamaica will outlast the R42s there.

At first I liked the R32s...

...Until they start filling the (F) with them last spring.

They were slow, and always caused delays. Before that, they only had a few of them on the (F) The seats were uncomfortable. Fortunately, they put in a few R40s and R42s, which aren't as bad. But soon they replaced all of them with R160s. Now the (F) is only R160s and R46s, which is sort of boring. Even though I dislike the R32s, variety is always nice.

the R32s have much better seats than R40/42s. the (F) is prone to delays not because of its cars, but because of its long route and scheduled frequency.

yea but if the (G) goes to Coney Island itll be able to use the R68s which they have plenty of, especially if more 160s are going to the (Q)

that is what i believe. after the (F) becomes exclusively R160s, the rest of the fleet will go to Coney Island to make the (Q) fully R160s as well. its few R68/68As will either go to the (G) (if it gets transferred to Coney Island, which i think is better than staying at Jamaica) or the (A)(C). Either way, it would be a big benefit to riders on all four lines.

Trust me, the (G) is a very important line and needs to be full-length. I'm glad the (C) is going full-length soon so it's a matter of time the (G) goes full-length next. However, more cars will be needed.

the (G) being full length is not going to happen at all. the line is only crowded during rush hours based on my experience.

And I do agree the G should be full length trains as well, the obvious downside would be the headways being longer. Like from say:

6min with 4-car trains to 10-12min with 8-car trains.

yep, reduced headways is the reason why the (G) got reduced from 6 cars to 4.

I have only seen R32 and one set of R42s on the (V) this week.

i caught an R42 (V) yesterday and today and in both cases, the train suffered a major mechanical problem that left the relatively few riders inside stuck in a crumbling subway car for who knows how long.

ive only taken an R160 on the (R) once. it was a shuttle from 36 St to 95 St and the reason why it was an R160 was because there were delays in (R) service, and the (N) train that was heading to coney island was rerouted over the (R) line to 95 St. So what the conductor did was change the sign from (N) to (R).

an R160 train ran on the (R) when it was extended to 179th Street, taking it from the (F).

Oh Trust Me R32's will not be leaving Jamaica, Trust me on this one, Don't be surprised if you see one back on the (E)/(F).

heh, maybe for an emergency put in or something, but no matter what, all R32s and R42s will be gone by June 2010.

I don't know who your sources are, but they have an amazing capacity for being incorrect. The only correct statements are that the C is about to go 10 cars, and the R42s are about to leave Jamaica. Although I suspect such is probable, It is not even certain that the R32s at Jamaica will outlast the R42s there.

no, you have the amazing capacity for being incorrect. your posts have been so nonsensical that i wonder what planet you came from. it is almost certain that the Jamaica R32s will outlive the Jamaica R42s because almost all R42s there are retired, but the remaining R32s have not even been touched yet. do not criticize someone who has contact with transit workers while you do not.

Enjoy your non-SMEEs. Aside from the R46s, your line is basically an eyesore of boredom because variety has jumped ship.

Plus on a side note, there are not enough two car sets of R46s to make the (C) R46 at 8-car length. Conductor position will have to be moved and what-not. Let's not make anything worse than it is until the (C) goes full-length.

yes, the R160s have made it quite boring to railfan and the (C) has to be full length. otherwise, the same problems with the R40/42s will occur. A train of six 75 footers is 30 feet shorter than one of eight 60 footers.

Yes yes...Bring all those R42s to the Fulton St/8 Ave line, i wouldnt mind at all.

yes, (A)wful and ©rappy lines deserve horrible cars.

We'll just wait and see! It wouldn't make sense to transfer 50 R32s to replace 50 R42s in ENY when the R32s are anticipated to retire anyway in the coming months. The one R32 set at CI is solely for supplemental service during the Brighton reconstruction and nothing more. Remember, transferring trains does cost some money.

because the R32s can last six more months while the R42s can barely survive another week.

Good riddance. Looking forward to the R32 + R42 gone from the Jamaica Lines. They should be transfered to 207th since it is R32 already and they have plenty of them on hand already.

If Jamaica has no more R32 + R42, then they should be able to put R160 on the (R) before you know it.

(E)(F)(G)(R)(V) R32 + R42 free is awesome news. The sooner the better.

i refuse to believe R160s going on the (R) until it actually happens. it does not make sense to have them run on all four Broadway Lines when they can just go on the (Q) to make it exclusively R160s. that way, the Queens Boulevard Express will be R160s only while the local will be just R46s. The Brighton Express will be R68/68As while the local will be R160s only.

The remaining R160s will go to the F line. When the last of the 5 car sets of R160 come in, there will be one train of R46s remaining on the F line. ALL REMAINING R160s to be delivered will be for the F and J lines.

there are still about 300 five-car R160 sets that have yet to delivered. that should be enough to make both the (F) and (Q) exclusively R160s. more than half of the fleet of both lines consists of those cars already.

No, the reason the G was reduced to 4 cars was that it was cut back from the Queens Boulevard line(the G's busiest segment), and the cars were needed for the then new V line.

that is one of the two reasons why the (G) train got reduced. i compared the timetables for that line before and after the introduction of the (V) line and noticed during rush hours, the (G) ran slightly more frequently after than before. Someone put this on Wikipedia and if i find out this fact is false, i will remove it.

Such would certainly not be unbelievable. The R42 is the second to the worst fleet when it comes to reliability. Only the R32 is worse.

MDBF is the only thing R42s have better than the R32s, but MDBF is not everything because it changes each year. Other factors, including structural performance, comfortability, and more have to be taken before deciding on when to retire a subway car.

Jamaica has two trains each of R32 and R42. Jamaica had MANY more trains of each previously. That means both fleets have been in the process of being retired for quite some time. Both fleets have been largely retired. I agree that the R42 at Jamaica will likely be retired prior to the R32s, but such is not a certainty. I would not be surprised whatsoever if the last day of SMEE service out of Jamaica shops saw both R32 and R42s in service. Your last sentence is ironic in how it applies only to you here.

what is your last sentence supposed to mean? i would be fun to have the last SMEE train out of Jamaica a mix of R32s and R42s. i will avoid the R42 and run for the R32 no matter how far it is.

If such were true, they wouldnt be recieving some of the most comfortable in the fleet.

they are, R46s, which Queens Boulevard riders say is the most comfortable cars they have ever experienced. your statement may be why so many (A)(C) riders want the R160s so much.

"i caught an R42 yesterday and today and in both cases, the train suffered a major mechanical problem that left the relatively few riders inside stuck in a crumbling subway car for who knows how long."

They are running to the ground till the end. I wonder how long it will be before they remove that broken car and replace it with an R46 taken the (F) which is replaced with an R160.

Those are the reasons the R32 + R42 have to go. The R46's are getting rebuilt with the SMS upgrades. R32 + R42 should be and will be junked ASAP as the new R160's come in.

We need pics of the next R160 deliveries. Then that R42 will be knocked out in due time.

the R32s have much better seats than R40/42s. the (F) is prone to delays not because of its cars, but because of its long route and scheduled frequency.

I doubt anybody will disagree with you on the seats. Many factors cause delays on the F line. The biggest of these is neither length nor cartype, but is the merges with the E V and G lines.

that is what i believe. after the (F) becomes exclusively R160s, the rest of the fleet will go to Coney Island to make the (Q) fully R160s as well. its few R68/68As will either go to the (G) (if it gets transferred to Coney Island, which i think is better than staying at Jamaica) or the (A)(C). Either way, it would be a big benefit to riders on all four lines.

The remaining R160s will go to the F line. When the last of the 5 car sets of R160 come in, there will be one train of R46s remaining on the F line. ALL REMAINING R160s to be delivered will be for the F and J lines.

the (G) being full length is not going to happen at all. the line is only crowded during rush hours based on my experience.

Yes

yep, reduced headways is the reason why the (G) got reduced from 6 cars to 4.

No, the reason the G was reduced to 4 cars was that it was cut back from the Queens Boulevard line(the G's busiest segment), and the cars were needed for the then new V line.

i caught an R42 (V) yesterday and today and in both cases, the train suffered a major mechanical problem that left the relatively few riders inside stuck in a crumbling subway car for who knows how long.

Such would certainly not be unbelievable. The R42 is the second to the worst fleet when it comes to reliability. Only the R32 is worse.

an R160 train ran on the (R) when it was extended to 179th Street, taking it from the (F).

Yes, that did happen

heh, maybe for an emergency put in or something, but no matter what, all R32s and R42s will be gone by June 2010.

Yes, probably well before that

no, you have the amazing capacity for being incorrect. your posts have been so nonsensical that i wonder what planet you came from. it is almost certain that the Jamaica R32s will outlive the Jamaica R42s because almost all R42s there are retired, but the remaining R32s have not even been touched yet. do not criticize someone who has contact with transit workers while you do not.

Jamaica has two trains each of R32 and R42. Jamaica had MANY more trains of each previously. That means both fleets have been in the process of being retired for quite some time. Both fleets have been largely retired. I agree that the R42 at Jamaica will likely be retired prior to the R32s, but such is not a certainty. I would not be surprised whatsoever if the last day of SMEE service out of Jamaica shops saw both R32 and R42s in service. Your last sentence is ironic in how it applies only to you here.

yes, the R160s have made it quite boring to railfan and the (C) has to be full length. otherwise, the same problems with the R40/42s will occur. A train of six 75 footers is 30 feet shorter than one of eight 60 footers.

Outside of the boredom reference, you are entirely correct here.

If such were true, they wouldnt be recieving some of the most comfortable in the fleet.

because the R32s can last six more months while the R42s can barely survive another week.

No. Both fleets would have no problem lasting another few years. Such would require more money for maintenance, which is rather pointless as their replacements are here.

i refuse to believe R160s going on the (R) until it actually happens. it does not make sense to have them run on all four Broadway Lines when they can just go on the (Q) to make it exclusively R160s. that way, the Queens Boulevard Express will be R160s only while the local will be just R46s. The Brighton Express will be R68/68As while the local will be R160s only.

You're correct in that the R160s will not be assigned to the R. You're incorrect in that they will be assigned to the Q. Neither will happen. As I mentioned earlier, all remaining 5 car sets will be assigned to the F, assuming no further 5 car sets are ordered.

Dude we get it. You mention the same thing in all of your posts.

Don't mind him, he's just a SMEE hater. At least we can both agree on something: I'm accepting the reality but I really don't need anyone rubbing it in my face cuz I can see what's going on already.

Don't mind him, he's just a SMEE hater. At least we can both agree on something: I'm accepting the reality but I really don't need anyone rubbing it in my face cuz I can see what's going on already.

I think we need muzzles on those incoming subway cars. <grin>

Homer Simpson designed a car for his brother with them on the Simpsons. So you never know.

Watch what you say about the (A) and (C) lines! I take great offense to comments that relate to the two lines being crappy because they have old equipment. And so what?! Do you even live by the (A) and (C)? I'd think not.

Watch what you say about the (A) and (C) lines! I take great offense to comments that relate to the two lines being crappy because they have old equipment. And so what?! Do you even live by the (A) and (C)? I'd think not.

It's only an opinion so who cares. Plus the line ain't that great around 3 in the after noon.

It's only an opinion so who cares.

The thing is, everyone is always bad-mouthing the (A) and (C) because it always has the older cars. I really could care less about what cars I ride; as long as I get from point A to point B, I'm good.

Plus the line ain't that great around 3 in the after noon.

Of course it isn't at that time, because hoodlum kids get on the train and act like friggin tyrants, disturbing the peace for other passengers.

Agreed about the A/C, I dunno how much the Rockaway segment has to do with limiting older trains to the A/C, but I think eventually it makes more sense to make both lines all R46s [when all the R32s and R44s are gone].

And sadly, 'hoodlum kids' aren't limited to just the A/C either. I've seen kids like that on the 2/5 from Franklin to Flatbush.

Archived