20 R42's Left at Jamaica and the (C) becoming 10 cars

R32 3838

While I do not count my self among those who will always claim that older equipment is better, I personally see no major benefit for your every day rider if they get an R160 over an R32. Neither has particularly good air if the car is full. Both usually do fine if the car is empty. Both have horrendously unreliable aspects of their signage. Honestly, if you ask me, the only thing that really differs between them for your everyday rider is the fact that the R160 seats will leave you about as comfortable as if you were having your arms cut off with a chainsaw.

When it comes to the MTA's perspective, they certainly aren't equal. It is much easier to fix problems on an R160. And those problems will occur significantly less frequently. That said, R160s are incredibly heavy cars, resulting in them drawing a greater amount of power, even considering their energy saving technology. As was said about the last car to weigh so much(the R16), their weight will bring their demise. A few interesting statistics:

R142s when built were roughly the same weight as R40s when built.

R160s when built were roughly the same weight as R44s when built.

Think about the size difference in both of these cases. If you ask me (ok... nobody did) we could be doing a lot better in keeping our cars "trim", for lack of a better expression.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup and a few others including an "(N).." Which i wo(N)t say ha!

Yeah i see an OTT hata here ^^ LOL! :P

OTT ROCKS!! Tho I like NTT, but sad to see old stuff go, and NEVER come back but ok..................... R160s will be gone one day and never return! More like 40+ yrs.. + break downs from the R160s and NTT cars WILL occur in future... So take it easy dude xD!

Im gonna check it out of course.. Tho its better to WAIT in Queens after Queens Plaza since it could end up on the (R), who knows..

Im going to wait at 71av

(R) should definitely be the next Jamaica line to get R160 since that is another long haul to Manhattan line. (G) and (V) doesn't matter since its all short haul routes and all the routes I go to would be covered by the (R) and the (V) should I decide to go local for something so the (G) and (V) should be the least priority lines.

I don't see why "long hauls" should necessarily be the first lines to get NTTs. Actually, the present assignment of R-160s could be better. The (:P would have made better use of R-160s since it has two North terminals which crews need to change rollsigns throughout the day to reflect. The (Q) has the same route at all times, therefore rollsigns would remain the same.

The long hauls would be good for the crews, but they're probably not taking that into account, and then not even all crewmwmbers like the new stuff anyway.

But the (G) should have them for the OPTO (automated announcements, better placement of MUDC), and then unlocked doors for the relays, the more cars, more doors is probably better for the crowds.

The long hauls would be good for the crews, but they're probably not taking that into account, and then not even all crewmwmbers like the new stuff anyway.

But the (G) should have them for the OPTO (automated announcements, better placement of MUDC), and then unlocked doors for the relays, the more cars, more doors is probably better for the crowds.

I see your using logic. The company would not be happy with that.

i think the (C) will never become 10 cars, i think the (C) will be 8 cars when all the 32s are retired and the (A) and (C) become exclisively 44/46s and the (C) will run 8 car 44s/46s

What are you talking about? You just contradicted your statement saying that the (C) would never become ten cars, yet it would be using 8-car R46s. That's basically ten 60' cars, or on other words, full length.

What are you talking about? You just contradicted your statement saying that the (C) would never become ten cars, yet it would be using 8-car R46s. That's basically ten 60' cars, or on other words, full length.

no because u cant run 10 car 75 footers now can you im saying the (C) wont be full length until they get the 75 footers and in that case they will be 8 cars and as nx express said they could interchange with the (A) because both will be 44/46s

no because u cant run 10 car 75 footers now can you im saying the (C) wont be full length until they get the 75 footers and in that case they will be 8 cars and as nx express said they could interchange with the (A) because both will be 44/46s

The (C) doesnt HAVE to be 10 cars, it can have 8 cars thats 75ft, which makes it SOUND like its 10 cars... So it will be full length.. >_X

Archived