20 R42's Left at Jamaica and the (C) becoming 10 cars

R32 3838

I think the MTA would only save one set of each car type.

its enough to make a full car if they do it right. Its a shame they never saved the R27/30s. It could have went,

R30 R30 R32 R32 R38 R38 R40 R40 R42 R42 and had a 10 car set, but even if it just went 32-42 it would be a decent 8 car set.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those R32s just don't wanna die!

The oldest & fastest subway cars @ 45!

That's right, unlike the R27/30/30A which were pulled from revenue service in 1993 after 32-34 yrs of service, those should have stayed on. Otherwise the R32 has been the oldest piece of equipment on the B Division since late 1993 which is 16 years now unlike the R27/30 which boasted that title from Nov 89 till Jun 1993, only four years :-(

Plus on a side note, there are not enough two car sets of R46s to make the (C) R46 at 8-car length. Conductor position will have to be moved and what-not. Let's not make anything worse than it is until the (C) goes full-length.

The (A) which is 10 cars, can already run the full length on the (C) without any problems, so I assume moving conductor positions wouldn't be much trouble.

Anyways, they should keep a full set of SMEEs. It's not like they have limited yard space for them. I've seen plenty of layup tracks and yard tracks that can fill them up.

welp, its looking like its getting near the end of the line for the R42s. So we know, how many R32s are left at Jamaica yard? I remember from september it was 20. East NY's R42s do run on weekends if thats when you can get out there, I just happened to see an R42 (J) at Canal a few weekends ago.

Has any R160s hit the (R) yet? From what I can gather from people's posts the newest R160s that come in have been going to the (F) to move the R46s to the (R)(V) so theres no car shortages.

Don't ferget the (J) and (Z) need R160 as well. The remaining R160's will fill the remaining (J) and (Z) cars as well as the (F)

A few more months, and (R) should see R160.

(E) R160 (F) R160 (G) R46 (R) R46/R160 (V) R46 will be before you know it.

(J)(Z) should see all R160 as well with those remaining R42's gone.

That is as good as it gets for mass transit and will make a world of difference. No more of those R32 + R42's is a good thing.

SMS R46 / R160 will fit the bill nicely. SMS R46 / R160 will make the Subway more akin to the LIRR Standards with the M3 + M7 cars.

New signals still needed as all the time you see delays over signalling issues. LIRR is having issues as well with signals out of Jamaica I saw and I hear those old switches will be redone in early 2010.

Don't ferget the (J) and (Z) need R160 as well. The remaining R160's will fill the remaining (J) and (Z) cars as well as the (F)

A few more months, and (R) should see R160.

(E) R160 (F) R160 (G) R46 (R) R46/R160 (V) R46 will be before you know it.

(J)(Z) should see all R160 as well with those remaining R42's gone.

That is as good as it gets for mass transit.

Does this mean the (G) will get 8 car sets again?

At first I liked the R32s...

...Until they start filling the (F) with them last spring.

They were slow, and always caused delays. Before that, they only had a few of them on the (F) The seats were uncomfortable. Fortunately, they put in a few R40s and R42s, which aren't as bad. But soon they replaced all of them with R160s. Now the (F) is only R160s and R46s, which is sort of boring. Even though I dislike the R32s, variety is always nice.

its enough to make a full car if they do it right. Its a shame they never saved the R27/30s. It could have went,

R30 R30 R32 R32 R38 R38 R40 R40 R42 R42 and had a 10 car set, but even if it just went 32-42 it would be a decent 8 car set.

There is only ONE R27, and it is a school car at Pitkin.

Those R32s just don't wanna die!

The oldest & fastest subway cars @ 45!

That's right, unlike the R27/30/30A which were pulled from revenue service in 1993 after 32-34 yrs of service, those should have stayed on. Otherwise the R32 has been the oldest piece of equipment on the B Division since late 1993 which is 16 years now unlike the R27/30 which boasted that title from Nov 89 till Jun 1993, only four years :-(

Like I said, R32s are good. People are taking their retirement for granted. If they were really so bad, they would have all been gone by now. Everyone's anticipating new trains to infiltrate the system. Frankly, I can wait. You'll be riding something that will be around the system for YEARS. My friends and myself will be the smart ones and ride the R32s and R42s while we still can.

Does this mean the (G) will get 8 car sets again?

Don't count on it, because I doubt there are enough cars to make the (G) full-length. In the future, maybe, but it's too soon to tell.

At first I liked the R32s...

...Until they start filling the (F) with them last spring.

They were slow, and always caused delays. Before that, they only had a few of them on the (F) The seats were uncomfortable. Fortunately, they put in a few R40s and R42s, which aren't as bad. But soon they replaced all of them with R160s. Now the (F) is only R160s and R46s, which is sort of boring. Even though I dislike the R32s, variety is always nice.

I can respect your opinion more over everyone else's who's basically anti-SMEE. When the (F) had R32s, R40Ms, R4s, R46s and R160, it was a fun line to ride on because there was always a 3 out of 5 chance that you would catch a train with a railfan window. I will have to disagree with the R32 seating problem you have because IMO, the R32s seating is comfortable, to me at least. The curvature is good enough for me, and the R42s have curvature seating as well. For some reason the R40s seats were somewhat flat but they didn't bother me so much. But I can agree with what you closed with: variety is awesome.

Don't count on it, because I doubt there are enough cars to make the (G) full-length. In the future, maybe, but it's too soon to tell.

yea but if the (G) goes to Coney Island itll be able to use the R68s which they have plenty of, especially if more 160s are going to the (Q)

yea but if the (G) goes to Coney Island itll be able to use the R68s which they have plenty of, especially if more 160s are going to the (Q)

That would be another line Coney Island will have to worry about; it would have six lines (the (B), (N), (Q), (W) and (S) Franklin Avenue Shuttle, even though the latter has its own eight cars, and then add on the (G)). It would be best if the (G) became a split route, sharing Coney Island and Jamaica equipment. It would relieve Jamaica's overcrowding, and Coney Island won't have to worry about having to deal with another line. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, but it would be best if a balance was made.

That would be another line Coney Island will have to worry about; it would have six lines (the (B), (N), (Q), (W) and (S) Franklin Avenue Shuttle, even though the latter has its own eight cars, and then add on the (G)). It would be best if the (G) became a split route, sharing Coney Island and Jamaica equipment. It would relieve Jamaica's overcrowding, and Coney Island won't have to worry about having to deal with another line. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, but it would be best if a balance was made.

either one of the yards will now need people trained on a different car type if they did that, unless G ran a mix of 68s and 46s

I think Coney can handle a 'small line' like the G. Like you said Jamaica is overloaded as it is. Anything to make Jamaica yard better should be looked into.

Okay, but can Coney Island handle having another line? That's what worries me, despite the fact that Coney Island is one of the biggest subway yards in the world.

either one of the yards will now need people trained on a different car type if they did that, unless G ran a mix of 68s and 46s

Well all crew are qualified to run R32s to R68s; they have to be trained to run R160s. While it's not a problem for Coney Island, it's a problem for Jamaica because those R160 (G) consists you've seen in the past were operated by (F) crew. If the (G) gets split, I wonder if operators from Jamaica will be operating Coney Island's equipment and vice versa. Didn't it happen when the (Q) ran to Forest Hills after 9/11?

i dont think the (G) will ever be full length and if the (G) becomes 160s they would just use 5 car 160s and as far as yards the (G) trainsets dont take much space and could stay at the jamaica yard

Trust me, the (G) is a very important line and needs to be full-length. I'm glad the (C) is going full-length soon so it's a matter of time the (G) goes full-length next. However, more cars will be needed.

i dont think the (G) will ever be full length and if the (G) becomes 160s they would just use 5 car 160s and as far as yards the (G) trainsets dont take much space and could stay at the jamaica yard

I know they won't be full length, I was using full length trains in terms of what would be laid up in the yard.

Trust me, the (G) is a very important line and needs to be full-length. I'm glad the (C) is going full-length soon so it's a matter of time the (G) goes full-length next. However, more cars will be needed.

And I do agree the G should be full length trains as well, the obvious downside would be the headways being longer. Like from say:

6min with 4-car trains to 10-12min with 8-car trains.

And I do agree the G should be full length trains as well, the obvious downside would be the headways being longer. Like from say:

6min with 4-car trains to 10-12min with 8-car trains.

That's true, more cars will be needed if this were to happen, so I'm not going to complain so much as I only use the (G) occasionally on the weekends and I only stay on for four stops.

Archived