Derek Jeter Sports Illustrated's "2009 Sportsman of the Year"

Shortline Bus

any reactions to Derek Jeter being named tonight as Sports Illustarted's "Sportsman of the Year?' Did the magazine make the right choice?

i know this year did not have any 'slam dunk' choices, but just wondering if Track and Field Star Mr. Bolt, Tennis Star Roger Feder, Cardinals Star Albert Puljois and maybe Stanley Cup Champion/ NHL Star Sidney Crosby been better choices? or anyone else?

Albert Pujols is a much better hitter than Jeter is, but because of his career hits and popularity, the award goes to him.

agreed. if si wanted to pick a baseball player for the '09 sportsman of the year either the twins joe mauer or pujols (or both)would been better choices. and this coming from a yankee fan.:confused:

like jeter, mauer and pujols are good guys who both do tons of charity works as well. plus jeter was not even mvp of either the world series or regular season which at least had made it the pick more dead on.

jeter would have a better choice for sportsmen of the year say in 1999 or so at the height of the yankees late 1990's dysanty.

fyi. i know auto racing is not popular in ny but what about NASCAR superstar Jimmie Johnson(not the former Cowboys Coach lol)who has won 3 straight Sprint/NASCAR titles in a row as another canadiate for 2009 sportsmen of the year?

I know auto racing is not popular in ny but what about NASCAR superstar Jimmie Johnson(not the former Cowboys Coach lol)who has won 3 straight Sprint/NASCAR titles in a row as another canadiate for 2009 sportsmen of the year?

Actually it was four [4] NASCAR Championships in a row.

I'm a Yankees fan and I appreciate everything that Jeter has done over the years but Jeter isn't even the best player on his team. He's getting a bit too much praise.

good point forest glen. however sportsmen of the year is more than the sports star who dominated their sport, it also takes into fact 1)media exposure 2)donating to charity3)good sportsmanship.

2009 was a year in US/North American sports there was not a clear cut slam dunk choice as say last year when rightfully Micheal Phelps won the award. personally i would have added Mr. Bolt in track and make both Phelps and Bolt as co-winners for 2008.

off topic but related. does anyone like me think that Mark Mcguire and Sammy Sosa :mad:should both lose their sportsmen of the year award from 1998 for their suspected roles in steriods/ped's to break the Roger Maris single season home run record?

Archived