Wierd Green band in some of my photos

Some of my subway photos have an odd green band towards the top: I am wondering what might cause this. I have a Canon Powershot S5 camera.

IMG_3096.JPG

Picture Info:

ISO: 400

Exposure: 1/20 sec

Aperture: 2.7

IMG_3325.JPG

Picture Info:

Exposure: 1/13 sec

Aperture: 2.7

IMG_3048.JPG

Picture Info:

ISO: 800

Exposure: 1/50 sec

Aperture: 3.5

IMG_3056.JPG

Picture Info:

Exposure: 1/60 sec

Aperture: 3.2

Looks like the beginning of sensor failure. Green subpixels appear to be stuck. If it's under warranty send it in, if not, buy a new one.

it doesnt do it in all my photos, outdoor photos are fine, its just when im down in the subway, and even then it doesnt affect every picture

Try taking some outdoor photos at ISO 400 and see if the issue manifests itself then...it might be happening at low ISOs but the amplification simply isn't high enough to make it noticeable.

it doesn't happen outdoors, only in the subway stations, I thought it was only a problem at 800 but it does it at 400 as well. I looked back at my vacation photos from the past year when i first got the camera, i was inside and outside and never had the problem. perhaps its the lighting...

Have you cleaned the lens? Have you formatted the SD card?

I also recommend you to test out the Aperture, it appers to get larger and smaller in certain aperture.

The lens is cleaned regularly, as well as the SD card. Its a Sandisk Extreme III card. I defenately think it has something to do with florescent lighting, since I was able to get those bands again experimenting with the camera in my room (i have those florescent curly lightbulbs)

If you could test it in a room without and flourescant light bulbs, you would have proof.

I have, plus I went down in my basement which has floresecnet tube lighting, it only shows up if the picture is to the left of the light, meaning the light is on the right side of the photo,

Yea, the ISO would have fixed it if it were not subway only.

I think it's the frequency of the light coming out, plus the huge contrast with the pretty dark surrounding stuff. It looks like an interior refraction or "ray"ing that bounces the light to either side along the surface of the CCD. I used to get rays when shooting the subway. Changing the white balance totally fixed that. Try changing the white balance. To fix white balance issues, you can go to a paint store or art supply shop and ask for optically pure white paper etc, take the paper and use it to calibrate the white balance in different light sources. I have not had to do this, because olympus does this before each camera leaves the factory, but some cameras might slip by with how many any given company produces, and the software in control of the white balance could get weird & need calibration.

Good luck, i'm sorry your camera is giving you issues!

- A

Yea, the ISO would have fixed it if it were not subway only.

I think it's the frequency of the light coming out, plus the huge contrast with the pretty dark surrounding stuff. It looks like an interior refraction or "ray"ing that bounces the light to either side along the surface of the CCD. I used to get rays when shooting the subway. Changing the white balance totally fixed that. Try changing the white balance. To fix white balance issues, you can go to a paint store or art supply shop and ask for optically pure white paper etc, take the paper and use it to calibrate the white balance in different light sources. I have not had to do this, because olympus does this before each camera leaves the factory, but some cameras might slip by with how many any given company produces, and the software in control of the white balance could get weird & need calibration.

Good luck, i'm sorry your camera is giving you issues!

- A

The Fluorescent white balance setting on my camera didnt really help it. Also I took my older camera, a powershot A530 took the same photos with the same settings in my basement and I didnt get the greenish band.

This issue has nothing to do with white balance. Incorrect white balance would evenly affect the entire image. Furthermore, the cameras' method of determining white balance is entirely in software and requires no calibration. That isn't to say the white balance doesn't need to be set however. You would not use pure white paper either in setting the white balance, the proper way to set the white balance is to take a reading of the ambient light off of an 18% grey card.

I still maintain my position that the issue is in the sensor. Cover the lens with black paper, use manual settings and take a photo with: highest ISO, 5 second exposure, lowest f/number. I'm curious as to see if any banding will show in that scenario.

This issue has nothing to do with white balance. Incorrect white balance would evenly affect the entire image. Furthermore, the cameras' method of determining white balance is entirely in software and requires no calibration. That isn't to say the white balance doesn't need to be set however. You would not use pure white paper either in setting the white balance, the proper way to set the white balance is to take a reading of the ambient light off of an 18% grey card.

I still maintain my position that the issue is in the sensor. Cover the lens with black paper, use manual settings and take a photo with: highest ISO, 5 second exposure, lowest f/number. I'm curious as to see if any banding will show in that scenario.

you mean if that green band will show up again?

Did you try center weighted metering? I find that railfanning sometimes comes with contrast problems, bright sunlight right next to black sooty surface etc. To combat this i typically switch all around to see what white balance setting works, and do spot or center weighted metering to allow the camera to see the way my eyes are seeing a subject. Try using incandescent vs fluorescent, and try center weighted or even spot metering. I sometimes even use the "overcast" setting for subway stuff, depending on the lights in the station. Roosevelt island for instance gets overcast, while 57th st might get incandescent even though they are somewhat similar.

- A

I use a Canon S5 IS and I have used it for almost 2 years. I believe that your camera is getting malfunctioning and may need to be replaced. It has to be a camera problem. My camera does not have these problems.

have you been in South Ferry or Grand Central or taken similar shots from similar angles? I got my S5 in August of 2008 and it seems very early for it to be messing up like that, note it doesnt affect every pic I do, outdoor shots are fine, and if im on the right side of the platform the pictures are fine, its something to do with how the fluorescent light hits the camera.

have you been in South Ferry or Grand Central or taken similar shots from similar angles? I got my S5 in August of 2008 and it seems very early for it to be messing up like that, note it doesnt affect every pic I do, outdoor shots are fine, and if im on the right side of the platform the pictures are fine, its something to do with how the fluorescent light hits the camera.
I think it has to be a camera problem. I have not seen that happen with my camera at Grand Central or South Ferry.

Archived