Heroic train operator faces ax for tackling lunatic

CPBO

you guys are missing the point. it is NOT our job to protect the public. that is not what we are TRAINED to do. if we try to take matters into our own hands, like leaving your position in a fit of rage to CHASE after a hostile deranged man DOWN THE PLATFORM who just spit/assaulted you and tackling him down (which is what a TSS told me is what happened in this case which wasn't mentioned in the papers - that is NOT self defense and that is what she is being disciplined for), the MTA will be facing lawsuits GALORE and you will be risking your job... do i think she should lose her job? no. do i think she should be disciplined? yes. if you want to protect the public and be a hero, become a cop.

You said it best. When he started beating on the door, her job was to call, and have police meet that train enroute. MTA will ask, "did you hear him berating other customers, before beating on your door? If she says yes, "why did you open your cab door, knowing what was going on inside your car?", (of course assuming she knew who was beating at the door). Then they will say, "why didn't you leave your cab door closed, knowing it was captain crazy at your door?" "If you left your door closed, you wouldn't had gotten spit on and slapped." "Why did you leave your position and chase them down the platform?" "You don't know if they were armed, etc...."

I will say, she should have left her door closed if she knew it was captain looney banging on the door. Besides, she tried to do a good thing, by helping the customers, but I wonder how many of them he was berating, helped her hold him down. Why when they outnumber him (especially on that crowded (1) line), did they not give him the beatdown of a lifetime. Her job is point a to point b, not to be confrontational or put herself in harms way. When we get a report of an armed customer on the train, we call it in. If control asks us to investigate, we don't move from our positions to go ask who has a weapon. I surely don't want to find out the hard way, if the described person is armed or not. Luckily I haven't been asked to do that yet, and if a C/R with me tells me they are going to investigate, i will surely tell them, they better keep their a$$ in their position, and wait for armed cops, to arrive to look for armed customer(s).........

Actually, I heard bout this incident a few weeks ago. Of course, my fellow employees had it sounding like he broke in the cab n did this, and what she did was heroic. Hearing how it really happened, she was stupid for opening the door in the 1st place. She has 20 years here, she knows how MTA is with their employees. She should have left her door closed n wait for po-po. The safety of my passengers is me getting the prom point a to b safely. Not to protect them from one another. That is PD, their, and other passengers jobs........

She should have just left him alone and stayed in the cab, were she was safe.

I had a incident were I didnt have change for a 20 and the passenger got mad and still found his way sitting on the bus. So I started to move, then I stopped at the next bus stop and called Egg Harbor. Long Story short, cops arrived in 3mins and come to find out after they search him, he had 2 hand guns.:eek:

Had I tried to be Mr.Hero I could have been layed out in bullets.

Long Story short, cops arrived in 3mins and come to find out after they search him, he had 2 hand guns.

What a dumb ****. If I was trafficking illegal firearms, you bet your ass I wouldn't be trying to attract attention to myself like that.

Only in new york. I swear, the new generation of youngsters here are going to grow up to be a bunch of (S)(JFK)(S)(S)(JFK)(E)(S). Can you imagine someone coming into your place of work, insults everyone there, turns their attention to you and attacks...and you get disciplined for defending yourself? Jesus (H) Christ!

She should have just left him alone and stayed in the cab, were she was safe.

I had a incident were I didnt have change for a 20 and the passenger got mad and still found his way sitting on the bus. So I started to move, then I stopped at the next bus stop and called Egg Harbor. Long Story short, cops arrived in 3mins and come to find out after they search him, he had 2 hand guns.:eek:

Had I tried to be Mr.Hero I could have been layed out in bullets.

Wow......you never know what you are dealing with these days.....that's why I have adopted the MTA Policy of saying the fare is 2.25 and keep it moving........but If I was to leave the bus and beat up a guy.....well my job would be "out the Bus" if you know what I mean.....be calling some of you to get me a job....but make no mistake I will close the door and defend myself.....

Wow......you never know what you are dealing with these days.....that's why I have adopted the MTA Policy of saying the fare is 2.25 and keep it moving........but If I was to leave the bus and beat up a guy.....well my job would be "out the Bus" if you know what I mean.....be calling some of you to get me a job....but make no mistake I will close the door and defend myself.....

When I was in your shoes, I even stopped stating the fare, as I did that one time, and the person yelled but I ain't got the fare. I had to tell them to calm down, I didn't say get off, and as they can see the bus is moving, have a seat, I'm just doing my job, as I don't know who is riding the bus. Don't want to be accused of giving free rides. Besides as a B/O, you have no barrier between you and crazy horse. They at up on the bus messin' with others, you are right there for the pickin' too.......

Sadly NJT doesnt have a set fare but the fare on my run can be anywere from $5.60 to 60 cents. Usually when I get ppl that dont look like someone thats in the right mind I try be as nice as possible but not to nice were I give up my line between soft and hard. Just let them know in a nice way I have a job to do and its needs to get done so keep it moving.

Archived