A Question regarding the Z train

bknightshadow45

Today I was the (J) train from Jamaica to Fulton Street Station in Manhattan. I got off the train around 4:40pm so I can transfer to the (M) train to 4th Ave-9th Street to transfer for the (G) train. While I was waiting for the (M) train, I spotted a Broad Street bound (Z) train. The (Z) train was an R160 and the Find screen said Nassau Street Local, Broad Street. Last Monday I also saw a Broad Street bound (Z) train running local while I was waiting for a Jamaica Center bound (J) train at Halsey St. On both cases the (Z) train was in service and saw people on the train. I actually rode the (Z) train from Fulton St to Broad St. According to the MTA timetables, it don't mention any (Z) trains running local to Broad St during the PM rush. It only mentions Skip-Stop service in peak direction. My question is when (Z) trains start running trains in both directions during the PM rush? Also is the (Z) trains is put-ins from the ENY yard? I thought the (Z) only runs in peak direction during rush hours.

The (Z) trains that you see heading southbound during P.M. rush hours are usually put-ins so they can begin their real journey when they head uptown from Broad Street. These trains operate local in Brooklyn and Manhattan. But I do find it unusual that the R160s don't have it signed as the (J); you'd think they could just change the sign. As for the R42s, they sign them up as (Z), make a (J) interval and makes its own interval as the (Z) upon leaving Broad Street.

During the AM rush hours Southbound (Z) make skip-stop service and then express from Mrytle Avenue-Broadway to Marcy Avenue while Northbound runs local.

During PM rush hiours Northbound (Z) runs express from Marcy Avenue to Mrytle Avenue-Broadway and then skip-stops to Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer while Southbound trains run local to Broad Street......its always been that. (Z) trains run during AM and PM rush hours only!

During the AM rush hours Southbound (Z) make skip-stop service and then express from Mrytle Avenue-Broadway to Marcy Avenue while Northbound runs local.

During PM rush hiours Northbound (Z) runs express from Marcy Avenue to Mrytle Avenue-Broadway and then skip-stops to Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer while Southbound trains run local to Broad Street......its always been that. (Z) trains run during AM and PM rush hours only!

Thanks Curtis and lrg5784 for answering my question. I rarely ride the (Z) train but I start seeing them when I come home from work and/or school.

Thanks Curtis and lrg5784 for answering my question. I rarely ride the (Z) train but I start seeing them when I come home from work and/or school.

No problem. I find it weird though that the R160 signed as a (Z) heading southbound is a little odd. I can understand the R42s, but the R160 sitch is weird.

The (Z) trains that you see heading southbound during P.M. rush hours are usually put-ins so they can begin their real journey when they head uptown from Broad Street. These trains operate local in Brooklyn and Manhattan. But I do find it unusual that the R160s don't have it signed as the (J); you'd think they could just change the sign. As for the R42s, they sign them up as (Z), make a (J) interval and makes its own interval as the (Z) upon leaving Broad Street.

I think can break it down a lil bit further since I live by it...

a.m rush hours

The (Z) comes out of the yard and starts at Bway Junction (or Alabama av not sure tho). It makes all local stops to Jamaica Center. Then it does skip-stop to Myrtle Av-Bway and goes express to Marcy. Then it makes all stops to Broad St. After that, it makes all stops back to Bway Junction then goes 2 the yard.

p.m rush

It comes out of ENY at Bway Junction (sometimes in the middle track) or at Chauncey St and makes all local stops to Broad St. Then it makes all stops to Marcy Av then express to Myrtle-Bway. Then skip-stop to Jamaica Center. After that, one of two things happen. The first and most common is that it goes light straight to the yard. The second (and somewhat rare) is that it makes all stops back to Bway Junction (as a put-in) but the FIND and everything else is off & the c/r makes manual announcements the whole trip

a.m rush hours

The (Z) comes out of the yard and starts at Bway Junction (or Alabama av not sure tho). It makes all local stops to Jamaica Center. Then it does skip-stop to Myrtle Av-Bway and goes express to Marcy. Then it makes all stops to Broad St. After that, it makes all stops back to Bway Junction then goes 2 the yard.

p.m rush

It comes out of ENY at Bway Junction (sometimes in the middle track) or at Chauncey St and makes all local stops to Broad St. Then it makes all stops to Marcy Av then express to Myrtle-Bway. Then skip-stop to Jamaica Center. After that, one of two things happen. The first and most common is that it goes light straight to the yard. The second (and somewhat rare) is that it makes all stops back to Bway Junction (as a put-in) but the FIND and everything else is off & the c/r makes manual announcements the whole trip

Thanks for the detailed info.

p.m rush

Er not really...

Sometimes the train becomes a (J) and goes in service back to Broad Street.

Eight times out of ten the R42 (Z)ebras are the ones that get laid up the R160 (Z)ebras stay in service back south depending on the needs of the service as (J) trains as i stated earlier.They try to get all of the R42's of the road as soon as possible..

I see this three times a week while working on the (J) Line... :P

I think thats an Understatement... :P

Well heard that 2 of them are heading for a faster grave then the rest of the ones at ENY. I heard something is very wrong with them and there not going going to be fixed. instead 2 from Jamica Yard will be saved and transferred to ENY as early as next week.

I don't know the hole story about the cars that are a goner, so don't asked.

Archived