Producer: MTH-Mikes Train House

Road Name: Metropolitan Transportation Authority - New York City Transit

Release Date: Summer of 2001

Scale: O Gauge-MTH Railking Line

Route: (2)

North Terminal: East-241 St-White Plains Road, Bronx

South Terminal: Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn

Via: 7 Av Express

Ahh yes, the beloved Redbird Subway Cars that ran through the tunnels and over the Els in New York City. The Redbirds were (and still are) an icon to the Subway system up until the last set was retired in November of 2003.

In the Summer of 2001, MTH Electric Trains released a 4-Car Redbird Subway Set with sound and signage for the West Side-7 Av Express (2) Train.

This set is painted with the Redbird scheme from the mid-80s to 2003; however, on the same token, its been stated that the R-21 Class never actually wore this scheme.

Station Stop Simulation goes as follows:

East-241 St/White Plains Road: This is the last stop.

Pelham Parkway / Bronx Park / Bronx Botanical Gardens

East Tremont Av / Bronx Zoo

42 St-Times Square

34 St-Pennsylvania Station / Madison Square Garden

Park Place - World Trade Center

Wall Street

Grand Army Plaza / Brooklyn Museum

Flatbush Avenue: This is the last stop.

This set is detailed with everything from the front & side rollsigns, crisp "EXP" / "LOCAL" decals on each end of the cars, the (NYCT) logo, and the end of car pantograph gates.

The R-21 was one of the first of 4 subway sets produced by MTH; hence, its to my knowledge that since this set was produced so early, 'Transfer to' announcements weren't put into play yet. The next set after this one that was released; The original R-17 <5> Train was equipped with 'transfer' announcements.

PROS: Crisp Red colored Painted cars, Crisp signs as well as the (NYCT) logo, Great announcements (World Trade Center Included; Pre-9/11 Set), & No window trouble (Since the windows on the earlier sets were molded onto the cars). Bascially everything is great on this set except for the 2 Cons below..

CONS: Tremendous coupler gap between the cars. The cars were delivered with extra long couplers which makes the gap between the cars, 'that much bigger'. Also, the 'no transfer announcements'.

Like most or all of the MTH Subway Sets, the R-21 (2) Train came as a 4 car set; 2-car Add-Ons were available as well.

4 Car Set Car Numbers: 7090 (Powered Unit), 7092, 7110, 7111

*2 Car Add-On Set Numbers: 7050, 7299

*The 2-car Add-on Set was equipped with the 'regular short couplers' that are found on most POST-R-21 Railking Subway Sets.

Unlike today's Subway Sets produced by MTH, The earlier sets were released as 2 different models; Loco-Sound and Proto-Sound2.0.

LocoSound sets were equipped with just a horn and a bell.

Protosound 2.0 sets were/are equipped with Station stop announcements, hustle and bustle of people in the backdrop, sounds of the city, squealing brakes, etc.. One can also program the train in certain ways to run it between certain stops that the 'operator' or 'modeler' favors.

4.5 out of 5 Stars in my book.

Have to love the Redbird R-21 (2) Train Subway Set

DSC_0017-2.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

Pricing :eek:

One can try and pick up a 4-car set with ProtoSound today for a minimum of 575.00 to 640.00 or more.. Locosound maybe a little cheaper, but not by much.

2-Car Add-Ons are going from a range of 259.99 to 329.99

Zach

• 1 month later...

I could never own model trains unless they were exactly like the real thing.The long couplers just make it look ridiculous,thus defeating the whole purpose.R17 6688 was in the red-bird scheme in service before it was sent to the museum.

I could never own model trains unless they were exactly like the real thing.The long couplers just make it look ridiculous,thus defeating the whole purpose.R17 6688 was in the red-bird scheme in service before it was sent to the museum.

We all have our own approach about things..

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

...after years of searching for a reasonable deal..I FINALLY got this set..all six cars too !!! smile.png

Now if I can just get my hands on that Lionel R-16..and I'll have all the sets that ran from the 70's-present

Congrats Man! Its a great set! Dont ever sell it back out! Yeah, the Lionel R16 is gorgeous.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm definitely going to looking out for this set! I used to ride the Redbirds every Sunday...I remember whining/crying when they started going out of service...I was around 8 or 9. 

Looks so crisp! 

Archived