Tier V Pension plan

DOB2RTO

Your pension check would be monthly and the amount I believe would be half of one of your last 3 yrs salary on average. I may be wrong on that one, not sure. Yes, you collect your pension until you die.

Hmm.. that is not really that much to be honest. say you are a conductor currently waiting to retire. the last time I can recall is that they make 24.99 an hour. if it is half of that that would mean 12.50 X 40 hours = 500 X 4 weeks = 2000. I don't know if the money is subject to tax as well, but if it doesn't, yea its nice to packet 2,000 dollar ever month until you die but it doesn't match the hype that a pension job seems to generate.

Hmm.. that is not really that much to be honest. say you are a conductor currently waiting to retire. the last time I can recall is that they make 24.99 an hour. if it is half of that that would mean 12.50 X 40 hours = 500 X 4 weeks = 2000. I don't know if the money is subject to tax as well, but if it doesn't, yea its nice to packet 2,000 dollar ever month until you die but it doesn't match the hype that a pension job seems to generate.

A little bit more then that, you have to factor in OT. Lets say the avg pension for a conductor retiring today is around 30k yr. Just about all pensions are taxable, the only exception that I can think of would be police/fire disability pensions.

Your pension should not be your only source of retirement income. It should be a part of your retirement income. Try to max out your Roth IRA's if you can.(5k yr). You can rule out getting any Social Security income the way the system is going. Work as long as you can, the later that you retire the less of a nest egg you will need.

There is nothing worse then being elderly and living in poverty.

We'll retire, enjoy our pensions for a few weeks, then drop dead from all the years of that steel dust in our lungs for being under for 35-40 years.

Nah, work as a T/O for ten years then pick a job that works outside like a yard job or a Rockaway Park/Franklin (S). Just because you have to do a 38 spot down here doesn't mean that it has to be underground for all 38.

Besides, I love the name of the guy who wrote the NY Post piece: FREDRIC U. DICKER

Now that's a cool name. Lol.

Nah, work as a T/O for ten years then pick a job that works outside like a yard job or a Rockaway Park/Franklin (S). Just because you have to do a 38 spot down here doesn't mean that it has to be underground for all 38.

Besides, I love the name of the guy who wrote the NY Post piece: FREDRIC U. DICKER

Now that's a cool name. Lol.

Indeed.

FU Dicker.

That sounds like a more appropriate name for our esteemed governor though.

this is not fair they should stop and rethink this and ask the publics opinons on this besides we vote them in we should have our fair share of this to in my opinon i would says to the governer if i saw him in person and the mayor and say do u 2 guys do u have common sense at all to approve those decsions. I would tell them u guys need 2 tax the rich people not people making less the 50,000 a year that`s not fair we are a working class people.

They should give IQ tests before someone is allowed to vote then.

No, they should not. Requirements similar to that historically were a reason used to deny voting to minorities and women. The problem is the so called "intelligent" people in our society do not have a clue about the real nature of politics, and as such do not make informed decisions, or make decisions based on what will help the company they work for rather than themselves personally (and cannot see when they are subsequently fleeced). People need to become educated about current events, and learn to read between the lines. There is no such thing as "critical thinking" anymore, only seeing something and parroting it. People need to think for themselves and come to a conclusion before they can truly have an opinion. Few do.

No, they should not. Requirements similar to that historically were a reason used to deny voting to minorities and women. The problem is the so called "intelligent" people in our society do not have a clue about the real nature of politics, and as such do not make informed decisions, or make decisions based on what will help the company they work for rather than themselves personally (and cannot see when they are subsequently fleeced). People need to become educated about current events, and learn to read between the lines. There is no such thing as "critical thinking" anymore, only seeing something and parroting it. People need to think for themselves and come to a conclusion before they can truly have an opinion. Few do.

How true. I'm impressed that a 23 year old has the insight to pick up on something like that when many people twice that age haven't grasped the concept yet. Many people believe whatever Fox News, The Post, Bloomturd, or the (MTA), among others, spew out and never question it. They need to balance that with what the New York Times, the Chief, and even the Village Voice and MSNBC say and read between the lines and only then try to form an informed opinion. I see forum members blindly parroting (MTA) stats and capital plans and projecting new buses, subway, and rail cars while the same newspapers are forecasting budget shortfalls and layoffs. They never grasp that the numbers make these plans unrealistic, if not impossible, yet the facts are right there if they would read everything and not just what's beiing highlighted for them. The same goes for my fellow employees out here. TWU Local 100 will highlight raises at contract time but never mentions the trade-offs or givebacks. I think that there are just too many sheep out in todays world who love having the wool pulled over their eyes.

The same goes for my fellow employees out here. TWU Local 100 will highlight raises at contract time but never mentions the trade-offs or givebacks. I think that there are just too many sheep out in todays world who love having the wool pulled over their eyes.

The media, and powers that be, know most humans are followers, and will do and listen to what they are told to do. Some of us are thinkers, and question things. I am told at work I think to hard, cause I always have my chin in my hand in that thinking position. The union know raises are what will get most on their sides, cause all most see is ooooo!!!!, I will get more money. They don't question, well what will we give up to get that?, so the membership can go with a more fair and informed decision........

The media, and powers that be, know most humans are followers, and will do and listen to what they are told to do. Some of us are thinkers, and question things. I am told at work I think to hard, cause I always have my chin in my hand in that thinking position. The union know raises are what will get most on their sides, cause all most see is ooooo!!!!, I will get more money. They don't question, well what will we give up to get that?, so the membership can go with a more fair and informed decision........

Yup works the same way at my current job too. We had a big company webcast meeting on Friday just so they could explain that yes, we would get increases next year (we did not this year), no we don't know what that means.

They also neglected to mention as I have heard from multiple supervisors that they understaffed for the next 3 months and that those of us that are there will work many many more hours, at our current pay rate, before the raises take effect next fall.

And that's why I'll be starting somewhere else before then. Most will stay because of the promise of more money though, not knowing what it takes to get there, or what they will get when they do. Worse, many will stay for the worst of the work, stick it out for some misguided sense of duty, and then quit BEFORE they get their raise out of frustration.

All because they didn't look at all the information readily available to them that can be gotten by asking a few questions and thinking.

well from what i hear, it is VERY hard to overturn a binding arbitration decision, so we should be good for the next 3 years. and those of us who took the recent conductor and train operator exams may be able to sneak in with 25/55

unless you get hired before jan 2010 you will not be part of tier 4. you will be tier 5. the pension tier comes from the state which is separate from the contract between (MTA) and twu.

I think we should bring Spitzer back . At Least he was a very bright guy. Did you all know that he scored a 1590 out of 1600 on his SAT and also got a perfect score on the LSAT. Amazing
I too like Spitzer I for 1 could care less what goes on behind closed doors in your personal and private life but unfortunately some media outlets are only out for ratings and dont understand what they broadcast can ultimately end someones career I honestly hope he makes a return to politics

I too like Spitzer I for 1 could care less what goes on behind closed doors in your personal and private life but unfortunately some media outlets are only out for ratings and dont understand what they broadcast can ultimately end someones career I honestly hope he makes a return to politics

I liked Spitzer too...however the problem was he was using taxpayer money to pay for his personal business! At that point, defending him would have been near impossible, and they would have pressed for criminal prosecution had he not resigned.

unless you get hired before jan 2010 you will not be part of tier 4. you will be tier 5. the pension tier comes from the state which is separate from the contract between (MTA) and twu.

http://nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11208&page=6

read the first post on that page. we are safe if the contract gets passed. mta employees are not considered "state" employees. its a quasi-government agency

I haven't read anything that links the (MTA) and TWU local 100 with Tier 5. So far the Chief has identified parts of NYPD, FDNY and the UFT, along with some state workers, who will fall under this Tier. So far the sanitation workers and city correction workers and TWU Local 100 are NOT part of this legislation. Read the current issue of the Chief for more details.

Archived