Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Park Avenue trolley tunnel takeover

Milan

There's an auto tunnel(used to be for trolleys)

under Park Ave. from 40th to 33rd streets.

As Mayor Bloomberg seems to like closing off parts of streets in the city,

how about TA asking him about taking over this,so 42nd steet shuttle

can be extended to Penn station using this tunnel and a new tunnel

under 33/34/35 streets.

Is this possible technically?

Any conflict with other tracks & PATH & AMTRAK?

Any ideas?

There's an auto tunnel(used to be for trolleys)

under Park Ave. from 40th to 33rd streets.

As Mayor Bloomberg seems to like closing off parts of streets in the city,

how about TA asking him about taking over this,so 42nd steet shuttle

can be extended to Penn station using this tunnel and a new tunnel

under 33/34/35 streets.

Is this possible technically?

Any conflict with other tracks & PATH & AMTRAK?

Any ideas?

I dont think its possible, the shuttle ends at the 7th ave lines at the one end and the lexington ave lines at the other end. Personally I think a better system is to reconnect Penn Station to Herald Square station

Are you asking if the Forty-Second Street Shuttle can be extended using the Park Avenue Tunnel and a new tunnel under 34th Street, creating a new U-shaped (S) line connecting Penn Station, Grand Central and Times Square?

Yes a u shaped TS-GC-PENN ST line.

There was some idea a ffew years ago of extending the railroad through there (off of the loop track) and connecting it to the Penn Sta. tracks, perhaps as part of the East Side access, (since LIRR would be coming into GCT, then some Metro North could be sent to Penn), but that idea basically fell by the wayside.

I dont think its possible, the shuttle ends at the 7th ave lines at the one end and the lexington ave lines at the other end. Personally I think a better system is to reconnect Penn Station to Herald Square station

New walkways to Herald Square stations (PATH and MTA) will be added as NJ Transit and others build the station for the ARC that will be connected to Penn Station.

Ah, that one. Yea, i guess you could use that, but how exactly would it connect to NYP?

- A

You'd have to turn the Forty-Second Street Shuttle under Park Avenue to use the tunnel then under either 33d, 34th or 35th Streets to reach Penn Station. In doing so, you'd be creating a new U-shaped (S) line that now would connect/serve Penn Station, Grand Central Terminal and Times Square via the Park Avenue tunnel.

Archived