NJ Transit To Philadelphia Proposal

N-Trizzy2609

I know it's been discussed time and time again but I wanna propose something really closely. I think the R7 Express should replaced with NJ Transit train from Penn Station. I know Amtrak will block this but have about six train, three in each direction during peak hours run to Philadelphia.

NY Penn

Newark Penn

Newark Airport

Metropark

Princeton Junction< One one train each direction during each peak.

Trenton

Cornwell Heights

North Philadelphia

30th Street

I know it's been discussed time and time again but I wanna propose something really closely. I think the R7 Express should replaced with NJ Transit train from Penn Station. I know Amtrak will block this but have about six train, three in each direction during peak hours run to Philadelphia.

NY Penn

Newark Penn

Newark Airport

Metropark

Princeton Junction< One one train each direction during each peak.

Trenton

Cornwell Heights

North Philadelphia

30th Street

kid, i agree 100% that nj transit should run a direct-through train between nyc and philly. however until amtrak changes their mind it wont happen. not to mention one of :septa: busiest regional line in terms of ridership as well.

as a compromise imo amtrak could run non-stop between newark airport and 30rd street for faster service between Washington and New York/Boston. meanwhile (NJT)northeast line could then run express at the stations mentioned every hour during rush hours and every '2' hours 7 days a week until 11pm. 'local trains would still make all stops on both the :nec: between nyc and trenton and :septa: r-7 between trenton and philly/30rd street.

my brother who lives in philly area tells me often especially on weekends it sro(standing room only) on the r-7 between trenton and 30rd street.

All that needs be done is more frequent :septa: service, which is not only cheaper (9-12 bucks round trip i believe to CCP), but could also be made faster by only stopping at levittown, cornwells heights, northeast philadelphia, and 30th st. These runs could correlate with inbound (NJT) trains, some of which idle at track 5 behind the :septa: train, and some :septa: trains could in theory leave from track 3 (low level), they could construct a mini-high platform as :septa: has done at many of its low level stations for ADA compliance, or they could go ahead and replace it with a high level platform with joint NJ and PA funding.

They could rehabilitate part of the old trenton engine yard to facilitate extra :septa: trains, which could consist of comet 1's and 2's and rebuilt first order ALP-44 from (NJT) as they are soon shedding this type of equipment, or they could allow :septa: to use the morrisville yard. Another option would be to allow access from the R3 to the R7 via the fairless steel branch, electrify it. Would also enable west trenton to trenton transit center shuttle using 1-3 EMU, solving 2 problems at the same time.

All of this would be possible politically, all that needs doing is $ for :septa: to electrify the several mile branch & for the equipment from (NJT), and gain permission from NS/CSX/CRSA whichever for putting up a short bit of wires past morrisville. There were wires here previously, but conrail saw fit to remove them in its tantrum to end electric freight (the only thing i really dislike about conrail).

The only issue here is that the existing connection requires a reverse move, not one the engineer can stay at one end for, because once "reversing", the train would continue to the endpoint that way... So there would need to be a second connection, which would likely need to meet freight spec, because if it were connected, freight trains would undoubtedly use it.

If all of these things were done, rail transportation would be far easier to navigate and more efficient in this one spot, and less politically charged than trying to run (NJT) crew 25 miles to a station that only houses :ac: operations at the moment, which all ready take up 2 tracks on the lower, intercity level.

- A

Avoid worries about taking NEC slots - rebuild the West Trenton connection and electrify it, and run Septa trains through that, up the :rvl: and then onto the :nec:

That sound like a great plan , person i don't see why aren't all or most NE lines Electric by , i think Transit agencies are be lazy and will bite them in the ass down there road with fuel costs:eek: About this proposed extension it seems like a Monopoly is forming with passenger rail services, i don't like it. If you want to go form NY, Newark take Amtrak simply as that:)

~Corey

Avoid worries about taking NEC slots - rebuild the West Trenton connection and electrify it, and run Septa trains through that, up the :rvl: and then onto the :nec:

NJ Transit is cracking on that one. They are studing it closely. But like Metsfan keeps saying, all projects (except for the Lackawanna Cut-Off) are on hold till the ARC is finished since NJ Transit doesn't have the capacity at Penn Station to add these new trains. Plus if the West Trenton Line does get built, Why would NJ Transit want :septa: to invade their turf? It the same with NJT going to Philly. A giant circle if you will.

Archived