Crushed by train

CPBO

By KATHIANNE BONIELLO

A man was in stable condition at St. Vincent's Hospital yesterday after he slipped and fell into the gap between a northbound 5 train and the subway platform at Union Square.

The man, in his 40s, was with a friend when he apparently fell into the side of the train as it pulled into the station at about 1:15 p.m. near the East 14th Street entrance.

He suffered head, neck, shoulder and chest injuries after getting himself wedged between the train and the platform.

Northbound service on the 4/5/6 lines ran local between Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall and Grand Central Station for an hour, MTA spokeswoman Marisa Baldeo said.

Keeping riders out of the space between the train and the platform has also been a huge issue for the Long Island Rail Road since a Minnesota woman fell through a gap and was killed in 2006.

Heard about this yesterday. He was lucky to have survived. It is still Amazing, however, that at a station where automated announcemnts loop every 10 seconds regarding stepping away from the moving platforms (and therefore it is reasonable to assume, the edge), that something like this happens. I know this happened on the N/B side, but still.

Heard about this yesterday. He was lucky to have survived. It is still Amazing, however, that at a station where automated announcemnts loop every 10 seconds regarding stepping away from the moving platforms (and therefore it is reasonable to assume, the edge), that something like this happens. I know this happened on the N/B side, but still.

Those speakers are used on the s/b platform, plus with n/b & s/b platforms not directly across from each other, they would never hear that announcement.

What bothers me is that we likely have another t/o and/or c/r having to go down to piss in the cup, see Labor Relations and TA "doctor", and have to subect themselves to platform duty because of the carelessness of some passenger.

We don't need this shit, we just want to do our trips and go home.

Those speakers are used on the s/b platform, plus with n/b & s/b platforms not directly across from each other, they would never hear that announcement.

What bothers me is that we likely have another t/o and/or c/r having to go down to piss in the cup, see Labor Relations and TA "doctor", and have to subect themselves to platform duty because of the carelessness of some passenger.

Why C/R? He didn't do a thing.

Yup, that is certainly not fair to the crew.

i was on the 4 train after that 5 train and i got home very late.when i got to 14 street, i saw the remains......police the 5 train with lights off.and signs saying do not enter.i was there but afterwards.... i wonder why it ran local from 14 to grand central????

Common sense will tell you something: "Stand in the middle of the platform while waiting for the train. Do not lean over the edge of the platform, step aside especially when trains leave or enter the station. "

This is like a no brainer.......but people will do what they want when they want to.....and they will pay the price......this goes along the lines of stepping off the bus and walking in front of it as I am trying to pull out......:tdown::confused::P

This is like a no brainer.......but people will do what they want when they want to.....and they will pay the price......this goes along the lines of stepping off the bus and walking in front of it as I am trying to pull out......:tdown::confused::)
It will indeed be a no-brainer if you don't follow that no-brainer :P

The MTA will pay the price literally, in a court settlement of some kind.

The person will pay the price figuratively, spending the next few months in and out of hospitals

Sad thing is that he will become a millionaire because of his stupidity or he will get at least a few hundred thousand

i was on the 4 train after that 5 train and i got home very late.when i got to 14 street, i saw the remains......police the 5 train with lights off.and signs saying do not enter.i was there but afterwards.... i wonder why it ran local from 14 to grand central????

Isn't that due to where interlockings to get from express to local and back are?

I have a couple things on this somewhere, but when someone gets pinned between the platform and the train (a "space case"). Jacks, airbags, or a combination of both can be used to free the victim. However, this can take a while because before anything can be done, the victim has to be evaluated before moving them.

You beat me to it. I know how to remove someone from under the train using airbags; however, from the side like that, I'm not sure.

You are also correct about not moving the train until the victim is evaluated. One of the things we as Paramedics are concerned about is crush syndrome. When a body part is immobile, the blood and fluids become toxic, and when the obstruction is removed, all that floods to the heart, which can cause cardiac arrest.

Someone pinned between the platform and train is the easy one. When someone is under the train, it all depends on where they end up. If there under the middle of the car, then it's not too bad. If the unfortunate person got sucked into the truck and around the wheels, they can lift up the car body so ESU car remove what ever is left.

Archived