Unauthorized vehicles foil 42nd St. bus-only lane

Harry

Straphangers should have a straight shot across town on 42nd St.'s bus-only lane, but instead must endure a slow-motion slalom around invading cars, trucks and vans.

On just one rush-hour ride last week, nearly two dozen vehicles were parked or idled in the bus-only lane, which stretches roughly from Ninth to Third Aves.

The entire trip, from First to 12th Aves., is just over 2 miles. The trip took 43 minutes, even on a day when traffic was much lighter than usual.

The average speed: approximately 2.85 mph, slower than the average person walks.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/12/07/2009-12-07_the_crosstown_crawl.html#ixzz0Z2MRuJQl

post-1-133288581213_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581213_thumb.jpg

TLC really need to sent message to their cabs/limo.

Bx12SBS still get stuck on traffic on 207th St and University Heights Bridge during rush hour and Yankees Game. University Heights Bridge is also worst.

Lincoln Tunnel Bus Lanes not good either.

Madison Av Bus Lane, 5th Av Bus Lane, 34th St Bus Lane not good.

Broadway Bus Lane is no good in Chinatown-Lower Manhattan Area either.

TLC really need to sent message to their cabs/limo.

Bx12SBS still get stuck on traffic on 207th St and University Heights Bridge during rush hour and Yankees Game. University Heights Bridge is also worst.

Lincoln Tunnel Bus Lanes not good either.

Madison Av Bus Lane, 5th Av Bus Lane, 34th St Bus Lane not good.

Broadway Bus Lane is no good in Chinatown-Lower Manhattan Area either.

The Bx12 Selects are also slow on Saturdays when the bus-only lane is not in effect. Plus, all of the taxicabs taking people from the Bronx to the nightclubs in Uptown Manhattan hog up most of the traffic.

best solution to this problem......ban all taxi and limo in manhattan during the day time hours. We don't need cabs during the day, only at night when people are drunk and etc..

Still wouldn't matter because of all the foot traffic on the West Side, buses would still be stuck...

People crossing the street while Vehicals are trying to make turns, the light @ 7 and 42 I've seen Trucks and cabs take the entire green light to make a right hand from 42 onto 7 AV.

That's what causes the traffice. 42nd would have to become a thru street with no turns between 8 AV and Madison

I have seen one.

People crossing like J-crossing.

I remember when I was in NYC Duck Tour was turning right from eastbound 42nd St to 5th Av, tour guide told us to blow Duck Whistle, but that people are not paying attention. Not even tour bus, not for charter bus, not taxis, not limo, not for cars.

I have seen people hurrying across emergency service blaring it's siren on and when police said, "Stand clear."

Even with that, they still cross.

People are arrogant & stupid & feel entitled.

Other day some special case walked right in front of the LRV at exchange place just 15 feet away while we were starting to accelerate towards hoboken. T/O had to slam on the brakes & she blasted that air horn good, i think it probably knocked some windows out across the river... :eek: Someone sitting in the rear of the trailing unit (i was standing by the door) said "man what a genius", to which i replied "yea, you have to be specially trained to do that kinda stuff". :)

- A

People are arrogant & stupid & feel entitled.

Other day some special case walked right in front of the LRV at exchange place just 15 feet away while we were starting to accelerate towards hoboken. T/O had to slam on the brakes & she blasted that air horn good, i think it probably knocked some windows out across the river... :eek: Someone sitting in the rear of the trailing unit (i was standing by the door) said "man what a genius", to which i replied "yea, you have to be specially trained to do that kinda stuff". :)

- A

I have seen in Philadelphia and Connecticut as well, even bus brochure says, "NEVER CROSS IN FRONT OF BUSES" or "NEVER CROSS WHERE THERE IS OBSTACLE".

Not, only that, bicyclists and ike taxis who always break law.

When I was on Far Rockaway Branch on LIRR going to Penn Station way home from HSES Field Trip at Jamaica Bay, I remeber some stations are right next to railroad crossing. I have seen people rushing across the track, risking their life, trying to catch train.

I have seen at HBR, :septa: 34, Newark City Lightrail.

I have seen in Bridgeport, Stamford, as well.

One Monday, when I was Rockland Coach #11C while travelling in NJ, I have seen car allegedy break YIELD TO BUS law, but cutting in front of bus, almost causing accident.

After I came back from Akron, OH, and one of weekdays, when I was on morning GoBus#25, car on rightside immediately broke law by cutting off the bus, almost causing GoBus#25 to be accident.

When I was in staying with relatives (not really relatives) in Akron, OH, Aunt Lisa who is disable, and she cannot drive on expressway due to nexck condition, and she cannot look behind. She don't like car drivers who talks on cell phone, or cars who does not know rule of turns when they approach uncontroll intersection.

I was wondering if sign on Queens Blvd under elevated (7) is working that sign reads:

"WARNING, TURNING VEHCILE, YIELD TO PEDESTRIAN".

"TURNING VEHICLES, BE WARE. PEDESTRIAN WAS KILLED HERE CROSSING."

That is my favorite B/O. He knows me when he was my home bus M86 when I was living in Yorkville.

Yea, I've had bus operators remind over the PA to watch crossing signals and wait for walk signal. This is near some spots on broad street in Newark where there is no crossing on that side of the intersection, also at Newark airport stops. I think it should be automated and play after the doors close and bus starts to move so street and other noise from outside doesn't block it out and all riders hear it.

- A

Yea, I've had bus operators remind over the PA to watch crossing signals and wait for walk signal. This is near some spots on broad street in Newark where there is no crossing on that side of the intersection, also at Newark airport stops. I think it should be automated and play after the doors close and bus starts to move so street and other noise from outside doesn't block it out and all riders hear it.

- A

I also had difficult crossing Montauk Highway at Bay Shore between Suffolk County Transit. Signal traffic lights are so far away, and I went to store to get ice cream.

Just for your information, there is a dispatcher at 8th Ave/W42nd street (eastbound) every morning. He holds buses until they are full. (usually until the operator is due to pull out from the stop give or take a few minutes)

The operators at the MJ Quill Depot maintain service to the riding public & usually within 1-2 minutes of the times posted t the bus stops.

Archived