Straphangers face service cuts as state makes $200M error in tax revenue forecasts

Shortline Bus

Straphangers could see service cuts next year after all because the state apparently miscalculated how much money the payroll tax would generate for the MTA, officials said Monday.

The tax revenue appears to be 20% below what the state forecast for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority -- $200 million less than what the agency based its financial plans on, MTA Chief Financial Officer Garry Dellaverson told authority board members.

"This is a shocking development both because of the magnitude of the under-run and the late date of its discovery," Dellaverson wrote.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/12/07/2009-12-07_strahangers_face_service_cuts_as_state_makes.html#ixzz0Z6RmN7Xa

post-3473-13328858122_thumb.jpg

post-3473-13328858122_thumb.jpg

All I can say is that this story shouldn't be taken seriously until it starts hitting other headlines. However, after being continously screwed over for 2 years, I don't think that riders would be willing to tolerate such an outrage. Besides, who knows? As dysfunctional as our government and transit system may be, a solution might be found, if such a problem arises.

they spend so much money on these construction projects. but then they tell us that it's 2 different budgets so you cant use that money for USEFUL stuff like preventing service cuts and fare hikes and paying their workers!!! Albany, change the law so you can use the money and stop trying to make the 7 line a tad longer and sending the LIRR to the east side!!! :mad:

the problem is the mta needs a steady stream of revunue aside from fairs they collect since the state and city keep trimming the money they are giving them and this payroll tax was supposed to do this and hasnt maybe they can have a lottery in the state that can benefit the mta

they spend so much money on these construction projects. but then they tell us that it's 2 different budgets so you cant use that money for USEFUL stuff like preventing service cuts and fare hikes and paying their workers!!! Albany, change the law so you can use the money and stop trying to make the 7 line a tad longer and sending the LIRR to the east side!!! :mad:

i am not sure how often you use the lirr but penn station is overcrowded. the (MTA)is right in buliding the esa to grand central. however i agree w/ lex ave express that the (7)extension to the javits center area is not an urgent matter.

i am not sure how often you use the lirr but penn station is overcrowded. the (MTA)is right in buliding the esa to grand central. however i agree w/ lex ave express that the (7)extension to the javits center area is not an urgent matter.

East Side Access is a gigantic waste of money. Right now, MTA makes fares from people who are too lazy to walk across town in the form of fares, who want to come in closer to GCT but come in instead at Penn. Doing this will cost them that fare money going forward. Also, Grand Central is very much crowded as it is, and where do you think the folks riding the LIRR are going to go when they get off the train? Why, right onto the already overcrowded Lexington Avenue (4)(5)(6)...not the (7) or (S), since if they were headed west, Penn Station would be closer.

The ONLY projects worth doing right now are upgrading infrastructure, and the Second Avenue Subway.

Penn Station can handle the crowding. The west side has like 3 avenue subway lines for all that to dump onto. The only thing the east side has is the Lex Ave lines and a bunch of buses. I do agree with SubwayGuy that the 2nd Ave Subway needs to be built. And it needs to be built badly. I really doubt the MTA will actually cut service. This is the same song they sang last time around.

Headline should read: "Incompetence gives straphangers surprise headache."

I'm telling you, the (MTA) has had it's run, it needs to be divided up if things are to progress to anything positive from the mess we are in currently.

(NYCT): Bus, BRT, Subway.

NYRRR: LIRR and MNRR. Could operate light rail as well.

NYRB: Regional Bus routes, anything going outside of the 5 boroughs on tires with a driver.

Trying to fit that many operations, routes, vehicles, stops, stations etc under one administrative roof is why there is so many issues. You can't not upgrade an interlocking, then axe a station upgrade in the subway because the funding is in conflict....

- A

Archived