Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Couple Lives in NYC's Tiniest Apartment

Dave160

If they can make it there, they can make it anywhere.

Zaarath and Christopher Prokop -- and their two cats -- live in the smallest apartment in the city, a 175-square-foot "microstudio" in Morningside Heights the couple bought three months ago for $150,000.

At 14.9 feet long and 10 feet wide, it's about as narrow as a subway car and as claustrophobic as a jail cell. But to the Prokops, it's a castle.

"When you first see it, the first thing you say is, 'Holy crap, this place is small,' " said Zaarath, 37, an accountant for liquor company Remy Martin. "But when I saw it, all I could think of is, I can do something with this. This is perfect for us. We love it."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/cozy_crazy_couple_makes_tight_studio_R15ToNFTaJE3c17zkw4efP#ixzz0Z8EckVJ7

They are crazy. That is why rent is NYC is so expensive. There is always some schmuck that will overpay for a small place.

also noone wants to take a chance in the outer boroughs like the Bronx or Brooklyn which are 100 times safer than they were decades ago

Nuts! That size space is worth about 30,000 bucks max. I can't believe they are selling these places vs letting people rent who might want to move closer to their job or such. Inaccessible market!

Now me personally, i could live there alone, but i'd need a LOT of storage units built in, maybe up near the ceiling. LED panel lights, solar iPhone/ iPod chargers. Need a wall mount system for my TV, and screw that huge bed i'd have a twin or a cot, or heck how about a hide-a-bed sofa. They don't cook but stash huge amounts of alcohol in their kitchen... Hmmm I'd cook and use the frige, cabinets would be for spices and non-frige items, put plates on top of them, no pets, no alcohol.

- A

Haha I saw this on Yahoo today at work. This cracks me up. They eat out and barely have any clothes in the apartment. I guess all the money saved and all you need is a place to get it on and fall asleep :)

"We realize we're not home that much because of our jobs" - Yep...sounds like two accountants. And people wonder why I want to work for TA instead...

That is about the same dimension as my bedroom. I could easily live there with a separated bathroom no problem. Only issue is laundry, as i would need to find 'green" cleaners, or just add a wardrobe storage cabinet....

Yea, they seriously overpaid... 130k for a speck of a room even for an efficiency type deal.... you could go on vacation for 2 years, buy that room, or pay the real value & go on vacation 1 year.......

- A

At 14.9 feet long and 10 feet wide, it's about as narrow as a subway car and as claustrophobic as a jail cell. But to the Prokops, it's a castle.

I wonder how high the ceilings are...

I heard of speed reading... and speed dating... but speed living?

not only eating out (literally & figuratively) :), They must do everything out...

Now watch there's gonna be some seller out there that's gonna attempt to sell something smaller than that unit... and there'll be some lucky person to take up the offer too...

NYC... the city that never sleeps... even if you cant sleep in a place within it !

Their maintenance fee for this apartment on the sixteenth floor is just over $700.00 per month.

Exactly. That's insane. For that price they might as well just move to Brooklyn and pay rent. They'd have their six figures back too, to make up the difference.

Fing accountants. Penny wise, pound foolish...and always working too much to know any better.

Archived